Question about leverage bits!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Question about leverage bits!

This is a discussion on Question about leverage bits! within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Dreamcatcher Arabians

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-23-2013, 12:36 PM
      #1
    Nya
    Foal
    Question about leverage bits!

    Hi everyone :)

    I'm quite confused about some differences between leverage bits.
    Out of curiosity, let's say we have a bit with high port and short shanks like this http://www.diamondsaddlery.it/public...48_MO00772.jpg and a bit with lower port but longer shanks like this http://www.horseandsilver-shop.de/We...EAAB/SB015.jpg

    Which is softer between those? What does actually change about the action in the horse's mouth? Is a long shank more severe than a high port? Did I understand well, that a high port is more severe than a low port?

    (Always considering a rider with a light, careful hand)

    Thank you :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-23-2013, 01:27 PM
      #2
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nya    
    Hi everyone :)

    I'm quite confused about some differences between leverage bits.
    Out of curiosity, let's say we have a bit with high port and short shanks like this http://www.diamondsaddlery.it/public...48_MO00772.jpg and a bit with lower port but longer shanks like this http://www.horseandsilver-shop.de/We...EAAB/SB015.jpg

    Which is softer between those? What does actually change about the action in the horse's mouth? Is a long shank more severe than a high port? Did I understand well, that a high port is more severe than a low port?

    (Always considering a rider with a light, careful hand)

    Thank you :)
    IMO, the last bit is more "severe" than the first one because of the length of the shank. The longer the shank the more exaggerated the communication. Both bits are not what I'd choose for a horse who is not used to a ported/shanked bit. And if the rider has never used such before, I wouldn't recommend them based on the rider alone. Soft/light hands in a snaffle aren't necessarily soft/light hands in a more demanding bit.

    My question would be WHY are you considering either of this bits? What are you trying to accomplish?
         
        06-23-2013, 02:20 PM
      #3
    Yearling
    In a true ported bit, the port acts on the soft palate in the roof of the horse's mouth, the idea being to encourage the horse to open its mouth which helps relax the lower jaw.

    A 'low port' is often just a groove to help with tongue relief (2nd bit)

    Long shanks do give greater leverage but what's often more important is the length of the upper cheek (between the ring and the mouthpiece). The longer this is, the stronger the action of the curb chain, which tends to ride up onto the jawbones as the bit rotates.
         
        06-23-2013, 05:38 PM
      #4
    Nya
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    IMO, the last bit is more "severe" than the first one because of the length of the shank. The longer the shank the more exaggerated the communication. Both bits are not what I'd choose for a horse who is not used to a ported/shanked bit. And if the rider has never used such before, I wouldn't recommend them based on the rider alone. Soft/light hands in a snaffle aren't necessarily soft/light hands in a more demanding bit.

    My question would be WHY are you considering either of this bits? What are you trying to accomplish?
    Thank you! My horse has been ridden in the first kind of bit for the last seven years, and I was just wondering what the difference was with other bits. I sometimes guess whether a lower port would be a better choice for him, maybe it would be less severe..! But I've been looking for a low port with the same shank length, and didn't find it! So if the second kind of bit was less severe, I would have considered it.. I hope I explained it clearly!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-23-2013, 05:43 PM
      #5
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nya    
    Thank you! My horse has been ridden in the first kind of bit for the last seven years, and I was just wondering what the difference was with other bits. I sometimes guess whether a lower port would be a better choice for him, maybe it would be less severe..! But I've been looking for a low port with the same shank length, and didn't find it! So if the second kind of bit was less severe, I would have considered it.. I hope I explained it clearly!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    As long as he's responsive to the bit you're using and you aren't banging on his mouth all the time, I wouldn't mess with it. I'm a firm believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".
    unclearthur likes this.
         
        06-23-2013, 07:08 PM
      #6
    Nya
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    As long as he's responsive to the bit you're using and you aren't banging on his mouth all the time, I wouldn't mess with it. I'm a firm believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".
    I definitely agree! The horse seems perfectly fine with it, and I have a light hand.. I think we can stick with his long date bit! Thank you for the infos :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-23-2013, 08:02 PM
      #7
    Trained
    There is always more/another verison to the story......
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-24-2013, 01:21 AM
      #8
    Nya
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
    There is always more/another verison to the story......
    Posted via Mobile Device
    You mean what version? I said it was out of curiosity, and I meant it. Curiosity is motivated by the fact I sometimes think a milder bit wouldn't be bad to try, but I'm far from actually doing it as I am fine with this. Anything wrong?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-24-2013, 01:46 AM
      #9
    Showing
    The difference in port height really only applies to tongue relief until you get into the really big ports like cathedral bits which are designed to use the soft palate as another pressure point for even more subtle cues. Most average ported bits (low or high) won't affect the soft palate if the curb strap is adjusted correctly.


    Some horses with really fat tongues need a higher ported bit like the first one you posted. Others with really low or thin tongues can use a mullen mouth and still have plenty of tongue room.

    Because of the way that I ride and the way I expect my horses to carry the bit, I generally really like low/medium/sweetwater ports in my bits because there is just enough tongue pressure for the horse to pick the bit up and carry it themselves instead of just letting it sit there on the bars of his mouth.

    Just for example, these are the types of bits I normally use. But, I'm not sure if something like one of those would be suitable for the style of riding you do...and I'm not sure how easy/hard they would be to find over there.
    Http://www.amazon.com/Breed-Sweetwater-Mullen-Trainning-Horse/dp/B0053EQS0Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=OX4DECX9Z5R0&coliid=I22KFSZLAEYKNI

    Http://www.amazon.com/Francois-Gauthier-Antique-Hinged-Futurity/dp/B003ABB6TA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC_pads?ie=UTF8&colid=OX4DECX9Z5R0&coliid=I24WKBG58Z94UP
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    "Graduating" From Snaffle to Leverage Bits 2BigReds Horse Training 11 10-11-2011 09:43 PM
    Leverage? smrobs Movies, Music, and TV 9 12-25-2010 09:33 PM
    English leverage bits.. A little help? ShannonSevenfold Horse Tack and Equipment 17 10-15-2009 08:13 AM
    curious...leverage bits - curbchains = ? Go The Distance Horse Tack and Equipment 7 08-16-2009 10:29 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0