Rope Reins
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Rope Reins

This is a discussion on Rope Reins within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • What are roping reins used for
  • Rope sport reins water loops

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By smrobs
  • 1 Post By smrobs

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-06-2012, 01:01 AM
  #1
Weanling
Rope Reins

Anyone know where I might be able to purchase a set of rope reins? I am looking for a set that is pretty thick. A single rein. I have searched all my local feed stores and such and havent turned anything up yet.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-06-2012, 01:33 AM
  #2
Super Moderator
I really like the products from this small company. I bought their "sport reins". They attache with slobber straps (not included) and you specify the lenght you want them made.

Rope Reins, Mecate reins catalog
     
    06-06-2012, 03:46 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
I really like the products from this small company. I bought their "sport reins". They attache with slobber straps (not included) and you specify the lenght you want them made.

Rope Reins, Mecate reins catalog

You know after looking at these I think I will just make me a set! Will have to share my outcome in a pic :P
     
    06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
  #4
Showing
Are you looking for reins that you'll actually be roping with? If so, then you'll likely need something that is smaller diameter than most of the yacht rope reins out there...unless you have really big hands.

I have huge hands for a girl and the one time I tried to use a yacht mecate set while I was roping, it took up too much space in my hand and made it hard to handle my rope.

I much prefer a good set of leather reins. What I used to do for roping reins is I would take one of the reins from a split set, punch holes in the tail end for the water loop, and turn that into my roping rein. For some reason, it's hard to find a pre-made leather roping rein that is long enough to have slack in your reins and wide enough to have some substance, but a single 8' rein worked well for me.
Wallee likes this.
     
    06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
Are you looking for reins that you'll actually be roping with? If so, then you'll likely need something that is smaller diameter than most of the yacht rope reins out there...unless you have really big hands.

I have huge hands for a girl and the one time I tried to use a yacht mecate set while I was roping, it took up too much space in my hand and made it hard to handle my rope.

I much prefer a good set of leather reins. What I used to do for roping reins is I would take one of the reins from a split set, punch holes in the tail end for the water loop, and turn that into my roping rein. For some reason, it's hard to find a pre-made leather roping rein that is long enough to have slack in your reins and wide enough to have some substance, but a single 8' rein worked well for me.

I have made some out of a 8' split reins before and it worked really well! I actually am just looking for some to use when starting colts. I have a a leather set I use when I am roping.
     
    06-06-2012, 05:19 PM
  #6
Started
Light braided split reins are best for colts, but if you're insisting on a single rein, I've seen them for cheap at places like Peavey Mart and UFA. Big R will probably have them too.
Teskey's Saddle Shop: Flat Poly Rein

Barrel reins would work good too.
http://teskeys.com/nylon-braided-rein.html
     
    06-06-2012, 10:17 PM
  #7
Showing
Oh, wow. I just realized how completely I misunderstood your first post .

I read "rope reins" to mean "reins that I will be using while roping" instead of "reins made of rope".

And, in case you hadn't guessed it, yes, I'm blonde .

I've got a couple of pair of yacht rope reins from this place and was very happy with them.
Natural Horsemanship horse tack, tools equipment and bridles
Wallee likes this.
     
    06-11-2012, 11:18 AM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
Oh, wow. I just realized how completely I misunderstood your first post .

I read "rope reins" to mean "reins that I will be using while roping" instead of "reins made of rope".

And, in case you hadn't guessed it, yes, I'm blonde .

I've got a couple of pair of yacht rope reins from this place and was very happy with them.
Natural Horsemanship horse tack, tools equipment and bridles

I actually have a set I use for roping , I was looking for some ones like you posted here just to try them out as I had seen a few folks riding with them and they looked kinda of nifty ha ha. I usually ride and start all my horses in split reins. I currently have a pair of 6' split reins and I kinda feel like they are short and I have seen online where some people are using 8' split reins. I think I would like the 8' better.
     
    06-11-2012, 01:26 PM
  #9
Showing
Yeah, 8' is all I ever use. Anything else is way too short LOL, I can't even imagine using a pair of 6 footers.

For what it's worth, these are the ones that I buy, they're the better quality without the "better quality" price.
3/4" x 8' Water Loop Ends Split Reins | NRS - National Roper Supply - Western Wear, tack, team ropes, horse tack, team roping ropes, bits...
     
    06-11-2012, 02:04 PM
  #10
Weanling
I made my own pair of 10 foot rope reins for under 20 dollars. VERY happy with them- my go to reins for just about anything. :) I think they were a little longer when this photo was taken, however, I had to trim them down a little after I first rode in them because I had too much rein.

     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Split rope reins gothicangel69 Horse Tack and Equipment 3 06-01-2012 03:07 PM
Devon-Aire Breeches & Rope Reins heartscontent Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 02-15-2011 08:33 PM
Need help making rope reins! munschk Horse Tack and Equipment 6 11-13-2010 01:42 PM
FS: Bareback Pad, Reins, Rope Halter w/ lead rodeogirl309 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 8 02-19-2010 05:12 PM
rope reins Fowl Play Horse Tack and Equipment 25 12-02-2009 10:40 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0