Rusty Bit.?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Rusty Bit.?

This is a discussion on Rusty Bit.? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Tips cleaning rusted horse tack
  • Can horses have a rusty bit

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-24-2011, 08:40 AM
  #1
Foal
Question Rusty Bit.?

So I have my briddle and the bit is rusty.
I couldn't remember if I could use it or not.
Its a bit I need but haven't used it in a while. Its a twisted snaffle bit, and rustedd right where the are linked in the midddle. Is there something I can use to clean it orr?????
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-24-2011, 08:49 AM
  #2
Foal
You can clean rusty buts by soaking them in lemon juice or
Vinegar. Then have a good scrub, And a rinse. Then dry the bit leaving no moisture as this causes rust. If you have no lemon juice or vinegar a paste made out of water abs baking soda would also do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-24-2011, 09:02 AM
  #3
Foal
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyCob    
You can clean rusty buts by soaking them in lemon juice or
Vinegar. Then have a good scrub, And a rinse. Then dry the bit leaving no moisture as this causes rust. If you have no lemon juice or vinegar a paste made out of water abs baking soda would also do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
ok awesome thanks! I will do that
     
    01-24-2011, 09:05 AM
  #4
Foal
Did I put buts? I meant bits... (facepalm)
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-24-2011, 10:04 AM
  #5
Super Moderator
Sweet Iron bits are supposed to rust I think, it has something to do with the taste?
     
    01-24-2011, 10:26 AM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84    
Sweet Iron bits are supposed to rust I think, it has something to do with the taste?
ohh well its a dark bit.... its a walking horse bit, works amazing on my horse
     
    01-24-2011, 10:27 AM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyCob    
Did I put buts? I meant bits... (facepalm)
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL s'all goo
     
    01-24-2011, 06:01 PM
  #8
Green Broke
I know they sell rusted bits because the horses love the taste...
     
    01-24-2011, 06:03 PM
  #9
Foal
Whooops I ment good.... ok wellthanks I didnt want my boy getting sick cause I wasn't forsure thanks
     
    01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
  #10
Green Broke
I prefer to stick them in a tub of CocaCola! Does a far better job then lemon juice or vinegar!

If you get the rust off and the bit is undamaged (i.e has no sharp edges) then it is fine to use.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rusty Stirrup Bars? Kaitlyn Horse Tack and Equipment 6 01-18-2011 08:18 PM
Rusty Stirrup Equitation/Hunter CecilliaB Horse Shows 7 02-04-2010 09:28 AM
Help! Cleaning a rusty bridle/bit??????? horseloverd2 Horse Tack and Equipment 5 11-10-2009 09:29 PM
Rusty carriedenaee Tack and Equipment Classifieds 9 06-25-2008 10:33 PM
Rusty bits Kiki Horse Tack and Equipment 5 08-29-2007 10:58 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0