I brought a second hand saddle for my horse yesterday as it perfectly matched the wither tracing I took..
So far the good points are
- Even contact on the underside of the tree
- the pommel is lower than the cantel
- It doesnt rock back or forth
- when I took a measurement of my horses tree area near withers they matched perfectly to the saddles tree.
- Plenty of room in the wither area
- doesnt go past his last rib
Although my concerns are..
when girthed up the top of the tree point feels slightly tight right at the top than anywhere else when I run my hand down from the pommel down to the girth apart from that its even pressure. My first impression when I saw the saddle on was that it was too narrow for him as I could fit 4 fingers under the pommel between the withers and the saddle.. but I heard this doesnt always mean its too narrow.. also if it was too narrow for him wouldnt the bottom of tree points be pinching? Not near the top?
I'm confused as if it was too narrow the points would be pinching at the bottom yet there feels more pressure at the top.. yet I can fit 4 fingers under the pommel but also the wither tracing matched perfectly..
I was going to get a saddle fitter to check the flocking.. as the woman said it could be overflocked/newly flocked..
Any help would be grateful :)