Saddle pad?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Saddle pad?

This is a discussion on Saddle pad? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Mustang Laredo Navajo Wool Saddle Pad
  • What blanket to use for sway back horses

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-10-2012, 04:37 PM
  #1
Foal
Saddle pad?

Do yall thisn this saddle pad works for my mom's mare? Or do you think I need something else? She is both a little swayed back and high withered.
2 months of having her


Her now



2 months of having her

Sorry they're not the best, they're the only ones I have right now
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
  #2
Trained
Filly, can you post the ones of her bare as well so others can see what is under the saddle and pad?
     
    07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
  #3
Foal
Yeah sure np!
Last months picture after worming process

Month before that during the wormig process
     
    07-10-2012, 05:13 PM
  #4
Foal
The blue saddle pad is actually my geldings, I'm using it on her though till her's came in and hers in the exact same one just in pink
     
    07-10-2012, 05:55 PM
  #5
Super Moderator
This pad might help even out the saddle contact, and thus the weight bearing surface

Cashel Shaped Western Swayback Cushion Black Cashel | SADDLE ACCESSORIES




And this pad has that cushion inside of a woolen blanket. I think this would be very helpful in helping that mare be comfortable. She is pretty badly swayed but sure looks like a sweet lady and I am sure she is well cared for by your mom.

Cashel Western Navajo Swayback Pad
     
    07-10-2012, 05:55 PM
  #6
Green Broke
I can't help but think you are going to have saddle fit issues......not from the pad but because of her conformation and lack of weight. At the very least I would pad her up with another thin pad or nice quality saddle blanket. If that doesn't work well, maybe invest in a pad specifically for sway backed horses.

She is really going to be a candidate for saddle bridging because of her sway. I have a Mustang who isn't nearly as swayed and a saddle shop told me any saddle I put on him is going to bridge because of his back conformation. I did prove them wrong and I did find a saddle that fits great....no white hairs and a good sweat pattern but I probably went through (no exaggeration) about 10 western saddles.

Your girl has two things going on........a sway and lack of muscle/weight. So at the very least I would use a high quality pad (or two if they are thin). Wool felt is the best. And then if you have problems long-term, try a sway-back pad. They do make them for western saddles but you have to look.

If I'm not mistaken, the pad you are using is a Professional's Choice air-ride? I have a couple myself and consider them pretty thin. They are fine if your saddle fits your horse perfect, but there is really no margin for error. I usually put a wool saddle blanket underneath and the air ride on top.

Good luck with your pretty girl.
     
    07-10-2012, 05:56 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
this pad might help even out the saddle contact, and thus the weight bearing surface

Cashel Shaped Western Swayback Cushion Black Cashel | SADDLE ACCESSORIES




And this pad has that cushion inside of a woolen blanket. I think this would be very helpful in helping that mare be comfortable. She is pretty badly swayed but sure looks like a sweet lady and I am sure she is well cared for by your mom.

Cashel Western Navajo Swayback Pad
Hey Tinyliny, great minds think alike! We posted almost the same advice at the same time.
tinyliny likes this.
     
    07-10-2012, 06:46 PM
  #8
Showing
You can see by the sweat pattern that there is little contact in the middle of front to back. She needs a swayback bad to help even out the pressure. You can try going along her midline toward her navel and see if she will lift her back. Some horses get annoyed at first but you can get her to lift some. This helps strengthen her topline. If you go to youtube, maybe equine massage there are videos that show you how to get the horse to lift.
     
    07-10-2012, 09:16 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider    
I can't help but think you are going to have saddle fit issues......not from the pad but because of her conformation and lack of weight. At the very least I would pad her up with another thin pad or nice quality saddle blanket. If that doesn't work well, maybe invest in a pad specifically for sway backed horses.

She is really going to be a candidate for saddle bridging because of her sway. I have a Mustang who isn't nearly as swayed and a saddle shop told me any saddle I put on him is going to bridge because of his back conformation. I did prove them wrong and I did find a saddle that fits great....no white hairs and a good sweat pattern but I probably went through (no exaggeration) about 10 western saddles.

Your girl has two things going on........a sway and lack of muscle/weight. So at the very least I would use a high quality pad (or two if they are thin). Wool felt is the best. And then if you have problems long-term, try a sway-back pad. They do make them for western saddles but you have to look.

If I'm not mistaken, the pad you are using is a Professional's Choice air-ride? I have a couple myself and consider them pretty thin. They are fine if your saddle fits your horse perfect, but there is really no margin for error. I usually put a wool saddle blanket underneath and the air ride on top.

Good luck with your pretty girl.
Thank you and No, the saddle pad that is used is a felt pad. I also have another pad, when it dries up maybe I can try it on her and take some pictures to see what yall think :).
     
    07-10-2012, 09:17 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
this pad might help even out the saddle contact, and thus the weight bearing surface

Cashel Shaped Western Swayback Cushion Black Cashel | SADDLE ACCESSORIES




And this pad has that cushion inside of a woolen blanket. I think this would be very helpful in helping that mare be comfortable. She is pretty badly swayed but sure looks like a sweet lady and I am sure she is well cared for by your mom.

Cashel Western Navajo Swayback Pad
Thank you and she is a sweet heart, she is very well cared for here. :)
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15' Western Saddle, Bronc Halters, SMB, Saddle Pad, Etc.(sale/trade) CalypsoKaos Tack and Equipment Classifieds 4 01-18-2012 03:22 PM
Pessoa,Paddock boots,breaking saddle,endurance saddle etc for sale/trade!! ImLonelyInCrowds Tack and Equipment Classifieds 6 01-25-2011 07:55 PM
would it be a good idea?..saddle size and abetta saddle review Gidget Horse Tack and Equipment 13 06-22-2010 05:02 PM
Cliff Barnsby Saddle Luxus Saddle for sale 18" tjsermo Dressage 1 01-11-2010 05:44 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0