Saddle pad- Rounded or Normal/Straight?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Saddle pad- Rounded or Normal/Straight?

This is a discussion on Saddle pad- Rounded or Normal/Straight? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Saddle pad- Rounded or Normal/Straight?

The title mostly gives it away!
I got to order a custom H&R reining saddle for my birthday (Yaay!)
And I got to thinking about saddle pads...

My horse has a SUPER short back for a quarter horse (23'') which is why we had little choice but to order. He has normal wither definition and all that, not sway backed or anything, but the straight pads always stick way out the back of the saddle! (and he's proportionate to himself, he has short everything)

I don't know the skirt of my saddle... I know its for close contact, and I can tell you everything else about my saddle, but... Should I look into a rounded pad anyways? Or does it look funny with certain saddle skirts?

And I really want turquoise...

I found a new Mayatex in turquoise online... Are they any good?

Sponsored Links
    03-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Alright western tack people! Where are you? :)
Posted via Mobile Device
    03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Green Broke
I would really need to see the saddle to tell. Saddle pads are saposed to fit the saddle . So like a rounded pad is for like a rounded skirt.

As far as materieal goes I would go with a nice wool felt pad and get a blaket for color. That way it's comfortable for the horse and it is less exspencive to change colors!

Classic Equine Wool Felt Pad 1"

That's just to give an idea of materials.
    03-14-2011, 03:07 PM
It would depend on he skirt of your saddle. If you put a round pad under a square skirt, your saddle will be directly on your horse's back.

If you're going for bright coloured, Reinsman's microsuede Tacky Too ones are nice. Most are square pads, but I have seen round ones. The round ones are usually referred to as barrel pads because most westerm saddles with round skirts are barrel saddles.

Also, you can always get a nice pad, then just put it in a turquoise blanket so it looks turquoise AND stays clean. :P

I am assuming if it's a reining saddle, it'll havr a square skirt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
collection, rounded-out, in the bridle, huh? newhorsemom Horse Training 9 06-25-2010 04:39 AM
Nice well rounded mare in Ohio quixotesoxs Horses for Sale 0 04-12-2010 11:30 PM
Collection? getting a rounded neck... Jacksonlover English Riding 12 11-21-2008 04:55 PM
Let Me Get Something Straight Here... Rachluvshorses4eva General Off Topic Discussion 19 10-11-2008 12:41 AM
Rounded Lunging? amightytarzan5 Horse Training 5 06-02-2008 08:52 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0