Schneider's Double S Saddles?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Schneider's Double S Saddles?

This is a discussion on Schneider's Double S Saddles? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Double s tulsa
  • Double s work & trail saddle

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-26-2012, 08:14 PM
  #1
Foal
Schneider's Double S Saddles?

Does anybody have experience with Schneider's Double S Saddles? I have been given one of their saddles as a gift, and am unsure as to the quality/ reputation of the saddles. The giver bought the saddle as a surprise for Christmas, and knew then that the saddle might not work out, so is ok with having this one returned and finding another one, but I'd like to know what you guys think of this saddle. I've got the saddle in hand, looks like a good fit on the horse, felt ok for the very short ride that I took in it, and the quality seems decent, but am I better off finding something used that might be better made? This saddle is fully tooled medium/dark oil ("chestnut") with a floral print, very nice and deep tooling- if nothing else it's certainly pretty to look at.

I'll be using this as my work/trail/ show saddle, so it's going to be my only western saddle right now. I know the color is out of fashion currently, and I'm not thrilled about that, but at the small local series I show at it shouldn't be too bad, and actually has a few things going for it (fairly easy to find cheaper dark oil show tack used for one). I'll make peace with the color if the rest of it is right, I guess.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-26-2012, 10:19 PM
  #2
Foal
Schneider's is a very reputable brand and dealer. I have not used any of their saddles but their other products are certainly good quality. I recently got a leather halter and lead from there and the leather is only slightly stiff, even brand new. My BO orders almost all of her equipment from there, and almost all her blankets and sheets are from there. I can't tell you anything about their saddles but seeing as their other equipment is also excellent quality, I wouldn't see why their saddles wouldn't be.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-26-2012, 11:19 PM
  #3
Super Moderator
.

If you are talking about one of these Double S Tulsa All Around Saddle in Work at Schneider Saddlery

Sneiders like so many others is now selling Imported Junk, Hollow Fiberglass Trees... aghhhhhh


.
     
    12-26-2012, 11:19 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineCookies    
Schneider's is a very reputable brand and dealer. I have not used any of their saddles but their other products are certainly good quality. I recently got a leather halter and lead from there and the leather is only slightly stiff, even brand new. My BO orders almost all of her equipment from there, and almost all her blankets and sheets are from there. I can't tell you anything about their saddles but seeing as their other equipment is also excellent quality, I wouldn't see why their saddles wouldn't be.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I'm banking on- that Schneider's wouldn't be selling something that they knew was junk or unsafe. I just hear so many stories of folks getting junk and I worry.

Yes, that is the saddle that I have, SouthernTrailsGA. I know that Double S is headquartered in Greenville,TX, but just where they make the saddles is unclear.

     
    12-26-2012, 11:47 PM
  #5
Foal
Ok, SouthernTrails, now you've got my brain working and worrying. The tree is said to be a "lightweight fiberglass," but it does come with a 10 year warranty. Now I'm worrying that the tree might not hold up, but would they back the tree for 10 years if it wasn't made to last? The leather, the stitching, the tooling, all of that is good quality, multiple folks have looked at it and been impressed- I'm not worried much about that, but the tree...
     
    12-26-2012, 11:59 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonfish    
Ok, SouthernTrails, now you've got my brain working and worrying. The tree is said to be a "lightweight fiberglass," but it does come with a 10 year warranty. Now I'm worrying that the tree might not hold up, but would they back the tree for 10 years if it wasn't made to last? The leather, the stitching, the tooling, all of that is good quality, multiple folks have looked at it and been impressed- I'm not worried much about that, but the tree...
Schneider's stands behind their products 110%. Even a cheap plastic matt puller. I called to order another one when one of mine broke (heck they are just cheap plastic) and instead, they sent me a new one, no charge, postage paid, IMMEDIATELY. I won't buy a blanket from anyone but Schneiders and if someone gave me one of their saddles and it fit my horse and me and was comfortable, I'd ride it til one of us died with no worries about them standing behind it.
SEAmom likes this.
     
    12-27-2012, 12:32 AM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
Schneider's stands behind their products 110%. Even a cheap plastic matt puller. I called to order another one when one of mine broke (heck they are just cheap plastic) and instead, they sent me a new one, no charge, postage paid, IMMEDIATELY. I won't buy a blanket from anyone but Schneiders and if someone gave me one of their saddles and it fit my horse and me and was comfortable, I'd ride it til one of us died with no worries about them standing behind it.
Thank you! Voice of reason-I'm worried about the tree, and the tree is under warranty for ten years. Even if it does fail, I've got good people behind it. Ok, no more worrying.

I was shocked Christmas morning to unwrap it, that's for sure! I keep looking over at it and think wow, I have a new saddle!
     
    12-27-2012, 12:36 AM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonfish    
Thank you! Voice of reason-I'm worried about the tree, and the tree is under warranty for ten years. Even if it does fail, I've got good people behind it. Ok, no more worrying.

I was shocked Christmas morning to unwrap it, that's for sure! I keep looking over at it and think wow, I have a new saddle!
It looks like a pretty decent quality every day saddle. For the price, I wouldn't expect Dale Chavez but I would expect a good working/lesson type saddle that I could ride every day for several years.
     
    12-27-2012, 12:59 AM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
It looks like a pretty decent quality every day saddle. For the price, I wouldn't expect Dale Chavez but I would expect a good working/lesson type saddle that I could ride every day for several years.

Exactly what I'm hoping to get out of it. Spiff it up for shows sometimes, but able to hold up for everyday. I only ride about 3 times a week, and I go back and forth between hunt seat and western, so well taken care of, I hope this will last me many years. Or at least long enough that I will be at a point where I can afford a rough out from Harris.
     
    12-27-2012, 07:38 AM
  #10
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonfish    
Ok, SouthernTrails, now you've got my brain working and worrying. The tree is said to be a "lightweight fiberglass," but it does come with a 10 year warranty. Now I'm worrying that the tree might not hold up, but would they back the tree for 10 years if it wasn't made to last? The leather, the stitching, the tooling, all of that is good quality, multiple folks have looked at it and been impressed- I'm not worried much about that, but the tree...
My guess for the warranty is because it has a hollow fiberglass tree and to sell them they have to give a long warranty.

This is the same type of tree in double t, king series and so many no names people are selling, these things are made in india and pakistan.

Why would a tree need a 5 year or 10 year warranty? 99% of the time if a tree is defective it will break in the first dozen rides, it will not become defective 3, 6, 9 years later


.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion on Double T saddles? lexxhorse Horse Tack Reviews 19 02-07-2013 01:31 PM
Double T saddles precious12 Horse Tack Reviews 3 02-24-2012 08:56 PM
WANTED: Leather side pull sold by Schneider Saddlery RATHER BE RIDING Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 05-24-2011 02:20 PM
Double J Saddles? FriesianSH Western Riding 3 05-30-2008 11:27 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0