Should I wear a helmet? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
The statistics I've seen indicate that if you fall on your noggin, a helmet reduces risk of injury by around 50%.

Safety involves thinking about all the risk factors - horse, weather, tack, style of riding, terrain, skill, etc. Helmets are only one thing to consider.
Exactly. The brim that it so nice and provides sun protection has also been shown to be the cause of some debilitating neck injuries, if you are to fall on it. Vaulters also don't use helmets because they throw you off balance and can increase the chance of a fall.

So - regardless of whether you wear a helmet or not keep in mind that each has pros and cons and you should always focus on safety. The helmet on your head its for risk mitigation ONLY. It is up to you, your safety habits and good judgement to reduce the risk of riding to an acceptable level and use equipment like a helmet without expecting to use it!
People on worksites don't wear steel toed boots because they drop things on their feet all the time, nor are they planning to.

As far as the "well ventilated" comment I disagree. I could not find an appropriately styled and vented helmet for under $600. I ended up with a Kep and have found it to be the only helmet that is light, fits properly and is well vented. Troxels slide around like no ones business and compared to the Kep a tipperary is a funnily shaped brick. However now that I have a great helmet I find it bearable to ride in outside of competitions, clinics and demos.
Posted via Mobile Device
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,644
• Horses: 3
That's why my helmet has a break away brim or visor if you will. I wear a helmet & I am convinced it has saved me from a head injury or death. My good friend is a coroner, she took my helmet after the accident, to show peops the importance of wearing one. I have just too much precious knowledge in my head to risk it. Empty headed peops, go ahead, it's ok to risk it.
waresbear is offline  
post #13 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 PM
twh
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 395
• Horses: 0
I hope this doesn't turn into a helmet debate...

Horsecrazy, a helmet is head protection. Some people wear them. Some people don't. Some people wear helmets when jumping, but don't wear them on the flat.

If you're comfortable riding w/o one, then fine. If you feel more comfortable wearing one while riding, fine. Have you ever worn one?
twh is offline  
post #14 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 PM
twh
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 395
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear View Post
I have just too much precious knowledge in my head to risk it. Empty headed peops, go ahead, it's ok to risk it.
Are you suggesting that people who don't wear helmets are empty-headed?
twh is offline  
post #15 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,644
• Horses: 3
No, sorry, I should take that back. I do other risky things so I have no right to say that.
bsms likes this.
waresbear is offline  
post #16 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 08:54 PM
twh
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 395
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear View Post
No, sorry, I should take that back. I do other risky things so I have no right to say that.
Hmmm... trying to think what the riskiest thing I've ever done is... I don't think it's horse-related, though!
twh is offline  
post #17 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois www.saddleonline.com
Posts: 509
• Horses: 1
It's like buckling a seat belt, do you absolutely HAVE to do it in order to survive the car ride? No. If something happens and you get hurt because you didn't have it, will you feel incredibly stupid? Yes.

It's a matter of better safe than sorry. Do I always wear one? No. Do I know its stupid not to? Yes.
blush and Cinnys Whinny like this.
SaddleOnline is offline  
post #18 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Some times Llanelian - North wales, sometimes Hull in East Yorkshire (UK)
Posts: 3,679
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Exactly. The brim that it so nice and provides sun protection has also been shown to be the cause of some debilitating neck injuries, if you are to fall on it.

People on worksites don't wear steel toed boots because they drop things on their feet all the time, nor are they planning to.
Actualy it is only the older style brims that have shown to cause neck injuries, modern helmet have breakaway or Soft brims that collapseon impact and are designed NOT to cause neck injuries. It is a requirement of both the BSEN and the PAS015 standards that brims are collapsable/breakaway and do not cause further injury. So any hat of a decent standard should be up to that quality.

In the UK steel toed boots on worksites are mandatory (required by law), as are seat belts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleOnline View Post
It's like buckling a seat belt, do you absolutely HAVE to do it in order to survive the car ride? No. If something happens and you get hurt because you didn't have it, will you feel incredibly stupid? Yes.
Seatbelts required by law in the UK and there are pretty hefty fines if you don't use them. They dosave lives and not just yours, a seat belt will prevent you smashing into the skull of the person sitting in the seat in front of you or going through the windscreen.


I personaly think it is highly irrisponsible to ride without a hat and more fool those that do. We have care homes for the elderly mentaly ill but quite often we end up with younger brain damage cases. Normaly they are a result of either a riding fll without hat or a car crash without a seat belt.
Very very sad to see a once highly independant truck driver aged 35 in a care home for EMI patient because he no longer has any sense of right or wrong, he has partial paralysis down the right hand side of his body and he no longer feels pain, he aalso has violent mood swings and idealy need to be in a secure unit as he will attack staff for no apparent reason. He was brought in because his wife could no longer cope at home with him, she ended up battered and in hospital after he attacked her when she tried to put out the fire that he had caused by smoking and dropping the cigarette on his trousers. His trousers went on fire and he couldnt feel it so he objected when she put water on it. He was the victim of a crash in a lorry where he went out through the windscreen because he didnt have a eat belt on.

I also know a lady who is in a permanant vegitative state because she fell from a horse and banged her head whilst not wearing a helmet. Her horse was 18, she was out hacking on a ride they had done thousands of times before, he felt safe. Her horse tripped she fell and banged her head on the only rock for miles! She left behind 3 young kids, a husband and her family who now have to live with the conciquence of her actions.

I personaly have had my hat save my life twice and would NEVER ride without one. I once forgot to put my hat on, was just sitting on a 20yr old pony and it felt so wrong, I knew there was something missing immediately, We didnt even move out before it was pointed out to me and I dismounted and got a hat immediatly, It scares me how much could have gone wrong in those few seconds. All it would have takens was for something to have spooked him (and he is fairly bomb proof) and I could have been on the concrete floor with serious head injuries.

In my personal oppinion (and I am prepared for the flack I will get from this). People who ride without hats are akin to people who commit suicide. Selfish! they either don't think of or don't care about the conciquences of thier action on their family and loved ones.

You only get one head and it cannot be replaced, why gamble with it? I'd far rather have hat hair then brain matter in my hair!

Certainly on a just broke 2 yr old I wouldnt even dream of getting on without a hat. Personaly I wouldnt be getting on without a body protector either. Infact generaly I wouldnt be riding a 2 yr old at all as I wait untill 3 or 4 to break them

I personaly prefer the Champion range of hats as twice they have saved my life, they are also the correct shape for my head. They are a more oval shape. Incidently They do hats from 35. My most recent one is a skull cap which is actualy from the kids range (the only difference between it and the adult version is that it has a very colourful lining and you don't pay VAT on it!) so it cost the grand total of 40.

My sister on the other hand prefers the Charles Owen range as she has a more round head shape. incidently though we are both the same size hat, her hat wobbles on my head and mine apparently gives her headaches. CO hats start at around 50

I also wear the Just Toggs hat at shows but find that they are quite narrow and I do get a headache from them after a while.

TBH in the UK 99% of hat will be Champion or Charles owen as they are the trusted brands over here.
ChristineNJ likes this.

RIDE your horse FORWARDS and keep him STRAIGHT

faye is offline  
post #19 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,199
• Horses: 6
I wear a helmet practically every time I ride now(today I forgot while I was riding in the indoor) When I was a teenager I never wore a helmet, I thought they were annoying. Now I'm a mom and can't afford to take chances anymore. I wear a $30 troxel spirt(I think). I was glad to have it when I took a bad fall off my 16hh TB at a canter in July, I felt my head hit but because of the helmet it didn't hurt.(yes I replaced it ) It's comes in handy when trail riding for low branches lol
Rachel1786 is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 9,379
• Horses: 4
faye, maybe I should loan you some gear from my days in Afghanistan.

Ride safe!



And faye, please don't do anything to increase your risk, such as riding a green horse or jumping. Or using an English saddle.

Last edited by bsms; 12-02-2011 at 10:08 PM.
bsms is online now  
Reply

Tags
cost , helmet , question , safety

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wear a helmet? JJackson Horse Riding 46 03-22-2011 06:32 AM
Do you wear a helmet?? aynelson Horse Training 104 09-24-2009 01:01 PM
What helmet should I wear? StormyBlues Horse Tack and Equipment 39 06-29-2009 07:15 PM
why I wear a helmet! clover Horse Talk 2 12-29-2008 05:28 PM
do you wear a helmet? sempre_cantando Horse Riding 40 07-23-2008 02:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome