The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment


This is a discussion on Snaffles within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Single link snaffles

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-13-2012, 05:01 PM

Looking at Dr Bristol and French link on Google just seems to give me the same pictures. Does anyone have any good links to pictures that show the difference?
Sponsored Links
    11-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Look at the angle of the flat piece in the middle; is it vertical or horizontal.

And I mean, when in the mouth and engaged, is it horizontal or vertical.
    11-13-2012, 05:35 PM
So, with the Dr Bristol the link is vertical, at more of an angle? And that's how it is more severe than the French link that sits horizontally on the tongue?
    11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
That's what I've been told. I have never actually held a DB bu I have used a FL a lot. Now use the KK ultra, which has a lozenge , rather than a flat link. LOVE it.
Kayty likes this.
    11-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
That's what I've been told. I have never actually held a DB bu I have used a FL a lot. Now use the KK ultra, which has a lozenge , rather than a flat link. LOVE it.
We have some single links, some french links and we have one with a lozenge Our 21 horses have a variety of bits lol I just got stuck with those 2
    11-13-2012, 07:06 PM
I use lozenge on my mares... With that being said I looked at Dr Bristol and french link closely several years ago (to compare), and there is a difference there. Dr Bristol turns vertically putting more pressure. I never tried it on my mares though..
    11-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Green Broke
The shape of the link is also important. Dr. Bristol has a flat edge, while most French links have a dogbone shaped link.

A good couple of pictures for comparison: Can't find the bit we are looking for... Help?
    11-13-2012, 11:08 PM
French-link. Note the angle of the rings that connect into the "link", and the shape of the link itself.

Dr Bristol. Once again notice the angle of the link and the rings that connect to it. Also note the straight sides of the link. Used this way, with the flat part against the tongue, it is relatively mild.

However, if turned upside down, the straight edge sits against the tongue, making this bit more severe as the surface area is much smaller. Both are double-linked snaffles and work on a combination of tongue and bar pressure. Single-linked snaffles use bar pressure (and palate pressure sometimes due to the nutcracker action).
    11-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Bytheway Snizard,

Your avatar horse is pretty darn good lookin'.
EvilHorseOfDoom likes this.
    11-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Ugh, the Dr Bristol photo didn't appear in my post - and too late to edit! Here it is...hopefully...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So Many Snaffles!! Lexiie Horse Tack and Equipment 17 09-14-2012 06:46 PM
Snaffles or Curbs? Which bit? Why? Palomine Horse Training 17 06-21-2012 08:58 PM
Difference between snaffles? atomic Horse Training 16 09-23-2011 11:49 AM
snaffles ?? BarrelracingArabian Horse Tack and Equipment 6 12-01-2010 08:22 PM
Snaffles or not? Cowgirl101 Horse Tack and Equipment 7 11-19-2010 08:43 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0