So I need a hackamore...
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

So I need a hackamore...

This is a discussion on So I need a hackamore... within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Glow in the dark hackamore
  • Hackamore forum

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-12-2011, 06:39 PM
  #1
Foal
So I need a hackamore...

Hey everyone.

Lately I've been riding in my Appaloosa gelding in a halter because it's difficult to have him take the bit on a bridle (even though he acts perfectly fine once it's in).
He responds just as well in a halter as he does with a bit because he's very calm and behaved, but I haven't been brave enough to go above a slow trot while he's in one to avoid the risk of not being able to stop him since he, of course, doesn't have a bit in his mouth to add the extra control.

So bottom line is... I'd like to order a hackamore/bitless bridle for him. I've never used one and don't know too much about them so I'd love information/tips/recommendations. Like I said, he's very behaved, so I don't want a harsh one, but one with, obviously, more force than a halter and one where I can easily control him in. If anyone can recommend a particular type or brand, that'd be great. I'd appreciate links too.

Thanks for reading! I'd love your help! :)
(by the way, he and I only ride for pleasure. Just the usual Western trail riding and whatnot. So nothing fancy or anything is necessary.)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-12-2011, 08:47 PM
  #2
Teen Forum Moderator
I have an "Indian Bosal" that I use on my mare which I really like. It has the advantage of some tightening action if the horse doesn't respond but overall it's pretty gentle.
Some horses/people don't like them because "they stay too tight on the nose" but my mare is a very sensitive Arab and she has no issue, so I'm more inclined to think it's a horse preference rather than a real con, if you know what I mean? :)

Here's a link to one: INDIAN BOSAL Black w/ Orange & Black Mix Flat Noseband | eBay

They can be attached to any bridle (I'd advise one with a throatlatch though, I've had my mare shake it off when I was using it attached to a one ear headstall) and it appears like that seller has quite a few color options which are always fun. Mine is glow-in-the-dark which is pretty fantastic!
     
    09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby    
I have an "Indian Bosal" that I use on my mare which I really like. It has the advantage of some tightening action if the horse doesn't respond but overall it's pretty gentle.
Some horses/people don't like them because "they stay too tight on the nose" but my mare is a very sensitive Arab and she has no issue, so I'm more inclined to think it's a horse preference rather than a real con, if you know what I mean? :)

Here's a link to one: INDIAN BOSAL Black w/ Orange & Black Mix Flat Noseband | eBay

They can be attached to any bridle (I'd advise one with a throatlatch though, I've had my mare shake it off when I was using it attached to a one ear headstall) and it appears like that seller has quite a few color options which are always fun. Mine is glow-in-the-dark which is pretty fantastic!
Oh, I've looked at several Indian Bosals and I definitely wouldn't mind trying one out. :) Love the color options too. Is it easy to attach to the bridle?
And if you don't mind helping a little further, what do you think of this one?
BITLESS ROPE HACKAMORE BOSAL / BRIDLE / COMBO W REINS | eBay

It looks simple and comes with reins, color options -- good stuff like that.
But does it look like it'd be effective?
Thanks so much for the help. :)
     
    09-12-2011, 10:43 PM
  #4
Foal
I'm and English rider and I ride my CRAZY hackney pony mare in an English Hackamore like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0011UHRAE/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods it works super well!
     
    09-12-2011, 10:47 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper4ever    
I'm and English rider and I ride my CRAZY hackney pony mare in an English Hackamore like this Amazon.com: English Hackamore it works super well!
All of my tack is Western, but if it works, I certainly won't mind if it's English. Thanks for the link! :)
     
    09-12-2011, 10:57 PM
  #6
Teen Forum Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedAppaloosa    
Oh, I've looked at several Indian Bosals and I definitely wouldn't mind trying one out. :) Love the color options too. Is it easy to attach to the bridle?
And if you don't mind helping a little further, what do you think of this one?
BITLESS ROPE HACKAMORE BOSAL / BRIDLE / COMBO W REINS | eBay

It looks simple and comes with reins, color options -- good stuff like that.
But does it look like it'd be effective?
Thanks so much for the help. :)
That one looks really nice! The one thing I'd be worried about is your horse being able to scratch/shake/whatever it off at a bad time. You might be able to jury-rig some sort of throat latch, I'm not sure though. :)
     
    09-12-2011, 11:55 PM
  #7
Trained
^ I like Indian Bosals too.

For my bitless horses, I have a cheap-o bitless bridle I bought for $20 at the local feed store (Oh goodnes get one of better quality than me!) and I fairly liked it, except it was made of cotton and the thing STRETCHED. Soum. Don't get one made of cotton. Other than that, I would buy a better quality one in a heartbeat.

Also, a rawhide bosal. I really love mine. It's beautiful...Makes any horse I put it on look like a high class spanish show pony! And offers me a lot of control :)
     
    09-13-2011, 05:47 AM
  #8
Foal
An S hackamore might suit you, if you ride western you won't be putting a lot of constant pressure on the nose, so it's only there as back up brakes if you need them.
The shape of the shanks puts pressure on the nose quickly, but not as much pressure as an english hackamore.
You can neck rein in it as well.
     
    09-13-2011, 07:07 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby    
That one looks really nice! The one thing I'd be worried about is your horse being able to scratch/shake/whatever it off at a bad time. You might be able to jury-rig some sort of throat latch, I'm not sure though. :)
Ah, okay. I may try it out and I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks!
     
    09-13-2011, 07:12 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorrelHorse    
^ I like Indian Bosals too.

For my bitless horses, I have a cheap-o bitless bridle I bought for $20 at the local feed store (Oh goodnes get one of better quality than me!) and I fairly liked it, except it was made of cotton and the thing STRETCHED. Soum. Don't get one made of cotton. Other than that, I would buy a better quality one in a heartbeat.

Also, a rawhide bosal. I really love mine. It's beautiful...Makes any horse I put it on look like a high class spanish show pony! And offers me a lot of control :)
Thanks so much! I'll be sure to look into the rawhide bosals. :)
     

Tags
hackamore bitless bridle

« Bandaging | Girths »
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hackamore help:) -getting him rounded on a hackamore? delboylove Horse Tack and Equipment 10 12-15-2010 07:50 AM
Does my hackamore Fit?? xXEventerXx Horse Tack and Equipment 16 12-07-2010 01:13 AM
Hackamore cheply English Riding 23 08-27-2009 02:05 PM
hackamore nldiaz66 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 5 05-01-2009 02:59 PM
hackamore vs. bit mattanittaallen Horse Tack and Equipment 4 03-13-2009 09:00 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0