Strange girth

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Strange girth

This is a discussion on Strange girth within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • What is an overgirth
  • Sanding girth mean

LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Cool Strange girth

I just purchased a used saddle, a Columbian saddle, Mesace 1910 without a girth. I didn't think this would be a problem but the billets are a little wide for the girth I have and between the two billets is a metal ring where the second billet would be. Does anyone know what type of girth this saddle needs? Thanks, Pat
Sponsored Links
    08-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator
I think posting a photo would be very helpful. Do you mean Columbian like from the country of Columbia?
    08-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I'll get a phot up today. Yes, from the country, Columbia. It's a Paso Fino saddle - English style. Thanks for your help, Pat
    08-30-2011, 04:02 PM

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

This is the saddle - Thanks for your help, Pat
    08-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Green Broke
Maybe it's to be used with something like #4 in this photo? Looks like the top "cincha" would attach to the regular billets and the bottom one could go through the metal ring.

    08-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Green Broke
Ive seen girts like that at tack stores, look around online it is sorta like an austrailian girth, it will have two buckles and a strap in the middle, originally the ring part was a seperate girth that goes over the top of the saddle, check out good pics at downunder saddelry and you'll see what I mean.
    08-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks to both of you! I'll take a look on line and check out the austrailian girths.
    09-16-2011, 08:10 PM
I checked out the austrailian girths on-line and although they are similar they don't match. Verona1016's girths are closer especially number 1. The saddle is new so the billets almost fit my old girth - I tried sanding down the edges and that worked to get my girth to fit. The only question remains is - What is the round ring between the two billets for? Thanks everyone for your help
    09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Its typically for an overgirth. My Prince caspian saddle is kinda made that way and has two girths also. They add strength and stability to fast paced work like cross country or so forth. The billets are usually only nailed to the saddle tree and the overgirth is just is a solid peice that goes over the entire top of the tree. It lends strength and safety if a billet ever came untacked from the tree or broke.

Do the rings and leather slide back and forth at all?
    09-16-2011, 11:38 PM
No the rings are on each side of the saddle but are attached to the saddle in the same way as the billets - the leather and rings do not slide. How would the overgirth attach to the rings?

columbian saddle, girth, mesace 1910

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS or Trade! Large English Girth (Also-WTB Size 48 Girth..) Icyred Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 08-16-2010 06:07 PM
INO: Western girth, buy or trade for english girth ExquisiteEquines Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 05-02-2010 09:00 PM
Strange boy.... RubaiyateBandit Horse Training 0 04-07-2009 06:10 PM
Strange Piper Horse Health 2 09-14-2007 04:18 PM
Strange... horse_luver4e Horse Training 4 08-05-2007 10:32 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0