Stronger snaffle
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Stronger snaffle

This is a discussion on Stronger snaffle within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • The strongest snaffle
  • What is the strongest snaffle

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-15-2010, 12:17 PM
  #1
Weanling
Stronger snaffle

I had a trainer out today and he recomended a stronger bit. He said a thinner snaffle provides better control than thicker. What size of thikness do you think would be appropriate? Also is egg but or d-ring better? I would like to stick with a snaffle, so snaffle only sugestions please. So basicaly the snaffle that will give me the best controll.

Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-15-2010, 12:27 PM
  #2
Green Broke
What is it you are trying to control, turning, stopping, head carriage. The type of snaffle you will want to switch to will depend on what you need control in.

OH, and you might want to try thee sticky at the top of the "tack" section....there are some really great explanations of bits including what D ring versus full cheek, versus loose ring will do for you...
     
    05-15-2010, 12:38 PM
  #3
Weanling
Ok thankyou. I will check out that sticky. As for control it is stopping, and trying to gain control when he takes of bucking.
     
    05-15-2010, 12:46 PM
  #4
Weanling
Oh and I am currently using a single joint egg but snaffle.

I am also wondering can I sell my old bit under consignment, or do people not sell used bits?
     
    05-15-2010, 01:16 PM
  #5
Green Broke
I use old bits all the time.

Sounds like maybe your horse is bracing against the bit or trying to grab at it. A loose ring snaffle with bit guards (to prevent pinching) may help. Because the ring slides through, they can not brace against the bit, there is nothing to brace against. A D ring, eggbutt and full cheek would let him do this.

As for diameter, maybe a smaller one, but I personally don't really advocate the really ouchy stuff like wire wraps and twists. But that is only MY taste. I think a lot of ground work and lunging goes a bit farther in the long run. Again, just my personal taste...but I never prosecute or bad talk people who do prefer these...it's a matter of preference :)
     
    05-15-2010, 02:12 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
I use old bits all the time.

Sounds like maybe your horse is bracing against the bit or trying to grab at it. A loose ring snaffle with bit guards (to prevent pinching) may help. Because the ring slides through, they can not brace against the bit, there is nothing to brace against. A D ring, eggbutt and full cheek would let him do this.

As for diameter, maybe a smaller one, but I personally don't really advocate the really ouchy stuff like wire wraps and twists. But that is only MY taste. I think a lot of ground work and lunging goes a bit farther in the long run. Again, just my personal taste...but I never prosecute or bad talk people who do prefer these...it's a matter of preference :)
Ya I refuse to use anything with a twist, even a kimberwick seems harsh. The snaffle we have right now is really quite thick. And Ill defenatly try a loose ring snaffle.

And he is a very strong horse, and anytime I pull to stop him, or try that trick when you pull their head toward you to stop him, he doesnt listen and goes faster. And he is very heavy in the head and used to have a habbit of pulling down.
     
    05-15-2010, 02:23 PM
  #7
Weanling
Do any of these look good?

HS Loose Ring Snaffle Bit [BIE1228]

Loose Ring - Hollow-On Sale until Aug 31 2010 [BIE1158]

Loose Ring Solid Mouth-On Sale until Aug 31 2010 [BIE1142]

Loose Ring Happy Mouth - Snaffle-On Sale until Aug 31 2010 [BIE1190]

Flexi Loose Ring - Snaffle-On Sale until Aug 31 2010 [BIE1145]

Would a french link or a peanut be better?
Sorry for all the questions. As you can see I have no knowledge in the bit department.
     
    05-15-2010, 03:25 PM
  #8
Showing
Since you had a trainer out, what bit did he/she recommend? As for stopping a buck, you need to be able to flex your horse and disengage his rear - not pull on the reins/bit; so a stronger bit is really of little use.
     
    05-15-2010, 03:29 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses    
Since you had a trainer out, what bit did he/she recommend? As for stopping a buck, you need to be able to flex your horse and disengage his rear - not pull on the reins/bit; so a stronger bit is really of little use.
He said a snaffle that is thinner. Im not really trying to stop him from bucking, I can sit through that but, sometimes he just wont stop cantering, and goes fatser when I try to control him.
     
    05-15-2010, 03:38 PM
  #10
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana    
He said a snaffle that is thinner. Im not really trying to stop him from bucking, I can sit through that but, sometimes he just wont stop cantering, and goes fatser when I try to control him.
My horse used to be like this, (and sometimes still reverts back) and the answer wasn't a stronger bit. The answer was going back to basics. Re-establishing his whoa, doing lateral work, and being able to control his shoulders, head, and haunches separately. Dressage was the answer for me, but any discipline in it's true form is dressage if you're doing it right.

I also had to learn how to ride more effectively. I learned to half-halt with my body and NOT just my reins to re-balance and regroup him. I learned how my seat effects his speed, tempo, and bend. I learned to ride off my inside leg and onto my outside rein.

Hope my post doesn't offend or annoy you since you're just asking about bits, but I thought I'd chime in. Also as a side note. I used to have these problems in a gag bit, and now I can ride him with no problems in a french link.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English Riding - Something Stronger Than A Snaffle? xLaurenOscarx Horse Tack and Equipment 13 03-18-2010 07:55 PM
Choosing a stronger bit.... Corey NC Horse Tack and Equipment 29 11-07-2008 04:54 PM
Stronger bit? We Control The Chaos Horse Training 13 05-30-2008 10:20 PM
Help with a stronger bit! whinruss Horse Tack and Equipment 12 11-09-2007 06:41 AM
Stronger Hooves? mynameisntlola Horse Health 4 02-04-2007 12:44 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0