Tom Thumb Bit? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Tom Thumb Bit?

This is a discussion on Tom Thumb Bit? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • I want to stop using a tom thumb bits what a better choice
  • I use a tom thumb bit, should i use a less harsh bit

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-14-2009, 08:19 PM
  #21
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuga    
And ya, umm you can fix any problem if you go back to the root of it, the beginning of the training of the animal. At least that is the logical(and ethical, and responsible, and intelligent...) thing to do rather than using such an aggressive and confusing bit. And thank you Sunny06....
If the rider is skilled you do not have those problems to begin with. It is rider error that causes the problems. I do nothing from the ground. The horse learns from DOING. At first I have to guide a horse through the movements but with a little practice they quickly learn the proper way of going. People think too much and have too little skill so they try to reason out what happened in the birthing of the foul to cause this or that problem instead of just blaming themselves for mishandling the horse in the first place. Everyone wants to play trainer but honestly very few really have the strength or the knowledge.. Most of the trainers here are teenagers with 20 plus years of experince???? Go figure that one.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-14-2009, 08:51 PM
  #22
Trained
Ugh. Guys, really? Why does everything have to get so catty. Disagree/debate/whatever, but don't be catty about it.

A western/US TT is an unbalanced and confusing bit for a horse. It is a curb bit with a broken mouth piece. It is also commonly called a "Tom Thumb Snaffle" It's important to make the distinction that it is a curb because many people who do not necissarily know anything about bits do not understand how the bit works. They see snaffle and that it is often marketing as a training and transition bit, and buy it on that alone.

There are far better "transition" bits out there. There are far better curbs. As we all know, a horse can be ridden in a curb, and be ridden with light, giving hands. A horse can be ruined in a snaffle by the wrong hands.

Like I said before, I have seen horses that have been ridden in them that worked fine in them but it is not a bit I would ever go to use.

As far as going back to basics. I agree. No one is trying to find out what happened when the foal was born and if it had some sort of psychological problem that makes it haul butt back to the barn when it sees its shadow. Issues in a horse, are often human mistake. Like you mentioned, many trainers are not qualified enough, and sometimes we slack off. So if your horse is having a problem, you go to where it begins, and work from there. Find the point where your horse stop acting correctly, and then figure out why. It doesn't have to be a big in depth thought process, but if you can say "Oh, I should use more leg here" or "Oh, he is looking at this bridge funny because last time a deer jumped off, I will just have to push him through and he will see he's not going to get eaten!"

You don't psychoanalyze your horse, you just set him up the best you can to do things right. I actually don't think everyone should go into a snaffle or on the ground everytime their horse has a problem. However I do think we need to look and try and see where that problem begins (short term or long term)
     
    11-14-2009, 10:32 PM
  #23
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic_dove    
ugh. Guys, really? Why does everything have to get so catty. Disagree/debate/whatever, but don't be catty about it.

A western/us tt is an unbalanced and confusing bit for a horse. It is a curb bit with a broken mouth piece. It is also commonly called a "tom thumb snaffle" it's important to make the distinction that it is a curb because many people who do not necissarily know anything about bits do not understand how the bit works. They see snaffle and that it is often marketing as a training and transition bit, and buy it on that alone.

There are far better "transition" bits out there. There are far better curbs. As we all know, a horse can be ridden in a curb, and be ridden with light, giving hands. A horse can be ruined in a snaffle by the wrong hands.

Like I said before, I have seen horses that have been ridden in them that worked fine in them but it is not a bit I would ever go to use.

As far as going back to basics. I agree. No one is trying to find out what happened when the foal was born and if it had some sort of psychological problem that makes it haul butt back to the barn when it sees its shadow. Issues in a horse, are often human mistake. Like you mentioned, many trainers are not qualified enough, and sometimes we slack off. So if your horse is having a problem, you go to where it begins, and work from there. Find the point where your horse stop acting correctly, and then figure out why. It doesn't have to be a big in depth thought process, but if you can say "oh, I should use more leg here" or "oh, he is looking at this bridge funny because last time a deer jumped off, I will just have to push him through and he will see he's not going to get eaten!"

You don't psychoanalyze your horse, you just set him up the best you can to do things right. I actually don't think everyone should go into a snaffle or on the ground everytime their horse has a problem. However I do think we need to look and try and see where that problem begins (short term or long term)

big fat ditto
     
    11-14-2009, 10:45 PM
  #24
Green Broke
Well said spastic!
     
    11-14-2009, 11:51 PM
  #25
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad    
Everyone wants to play trainer.
I have to admit it seems a bit like YOU are doing that. Sorry, but it does.

A REAL trainer would go straight to the source. Dosen't look like that's what you do.

Not saying you're a horrible trainer, but you may want to reconsider your ways a bit, for the betterment of your horse.

I think this has gotten a bit off-topic, though.

As for TTs? Glorified paper-weights.

And well said, Spastic :)
     
    11-15-2009, 01:16 AM
  #26
Yearling
I'm a strong believer that bits aren't harsh, it's the hands that abuse them that are. Myself, I use a TT on Magic, more or less because it's what she's used to. It works well for her -- she's got a responsiveness that just isn't there in a snaffle, and isn't showing any signs of a having a problem with it. That said, I have a friend ride her from time to time, and she wears Tanner's headstall (with a snaffle) then, because my friend isn't real used to riding her and so is more prone to jerking the reins when Magic gets a bit spirited.
     
    11-15-2009, 09:01 AM
  #27
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny06    
I have to admit it seems a bit like YOU are doing that. Sorry, but it does.

A REAL trainer would go straight to the source. Dosen't look like that's what you do.

Not saying you're a horrible trainer, but you may want to reconsider your ways a bit, for the betterment of your horse.


:)

I don't have problems. I am not here for help. This is strictly entertainment. There are a number of people here like me. You don't see people like kevin, msrob, marecare etc asking for help. There are others but they are the ones that quickly came to mind.
I've never asked HOW on this forum.
     
    11-15-2009, 10:09 AM
  #28
Started
Many of the horses in my area are ridden in American TTs. I rode my first gelding in an ATT, mainly because that's what the previous owner rode him in and what he was used to. I never had any evasion problems with him in that bit, and I eventually switched to English riding and an eggbutt snaffle. I rode Scout in the old ATT bit one time (I'd been riding him for a month or so in the eggbutt, the switch was sheer whim on my part), and he HATED it. Head tossing, no brakes, minimal steering snorting, half dragging me back to the arena gate. I put the eggbutt, back in his mouth and he was a gem. I may one day choose to put some better neckrein knowledge in his head and take him in some western events, but I plan on getting a bit like the one posted earlier, with the Billy Allen mouth.

Bits don't make horses good or bad. Riders do. Horses have preferences. Some (my first horse, and may others that I know) can handle bits like the ATT without complaint. Some (like Scout) hate the things. Big whoop. Some horses hate french links, too. I'm certainly no diehard supporter of the ATT, but there are far better made, better designed, and more useful bits out there. If I borrow a horse who is fitted with the ATT, I don't throw a fit and demand a snaffle bridle, I'll ride with the same discretion I use riding any other bit with a shank. Scout threw a totally out of character tantrum with the ATT that vanished with the snaffle, ergo I am not surprised, and will likely purchase a different curb if I choose to switch back to western for any reason.
     
    11-15-2009, 02:48 PM
  #29
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad    
You don't see people like kevin, msrob, marecare etc asking for help. There are others but they are the ones that quickly came to mind.
Actually, you do. And it shows a lot about that person. It shows humility and a desire to learn more. A willingness to learn about and listen to what others have to say.

But whatever.

Quote:
I've never asked HOW on this forum.
Maybe you should? There's certainly nothing wrong with it, so I'm having a hard time understanding your point.

-------------------------

Yes, I strongly agree with a bit is only as harsh as the rider's hands. But that's not the point. It's about how horribly unbalanced they are. Or how horrible a release they have. Like someone already mentioned, when you pull back and release, they keep pulling. Is that what y'all want?

I'd advise everyone to go back and check out the links about them. They are good links, and give the inside story.

Not my bit of choice.
     
    11-15-2009, 06:15 PM
  #30
Showing
Enough guys. Let's get on point.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tom Thumb Question rodeogirl309 Horse Tack and Equipment 2 07-14-2009 09:11 PM
Tom Thumb Bits Skippy! Horse Tack and Equipment 26 03-30-2009 08:24 PM
Next Step up From a Tom Thumb Bit? randiekay215 Horse Tack and Equipment 17 03-11-2009 01:01 PM
(AUSSIE) Tom Thumb Snaffles WranglerBlondie93. Horse Tack and Equipment 1 11-17-2007 08:42 AM
tom thumb bit blossom856 Horse Tack and Equipment 19 11-07-2007 01:34 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0