Tom Thumb bits on English schooling horses - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Tom Thumb bits on English schooling horses

This is a discussion on Tom Thumb bits on English schooling horses within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Tack tom

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-29-2012, 11:07 PM
  #11
Weanling
When I worked for a YMCA camp, we leased our horses from a "vendor" type guy, and they all came with tack, tom thumbs were on every bridle. I guess they have them because they are cheap.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-29-2012, 11:16 PM
  #12
Showing
IMHO, it's just a case of ignorance. Most folks don't have any desire to learn anything about the why's and the how's of using bits and go to the trouble to learn how a certain bit works and they just don't consider that something else might work better.

TTs are one of the most widely available bits, they are one of the cheapest, and they are advertised as being very mild and great for use as "breaking" bits, "transition" bits, and "colt" bits. They are also advertised as snaffles even though they aren't, by any stretch of the imagination. People see the broken mouth on them and automatically think "snaffle" and then make the leap from snaffle to "mild". That's about as far as they go when it comes to reasoning behind using that bit.

And, so, it simply maintains the circle of ignorance. The teachers don't know any better; therefore, the students won't know any better and when/if they get to the point that they are teaching others, then they just continue to spread the ignorance.
kitten_Val likes this.
     
    07-29-2012, 11:22 PM
  #13
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
IMHO, it's just a case of ignorance. Most folks don't have any desire to learn anything about the why's and the how's of using bits and go to the trouble to learn how a certain bit works and they just don't consider that something else might work better.

TTs are one of the most widely available bits, they are one of the cheapest, and they are advertised as being very mild and great for use as "breaking" bits, "transition" bits, and "colt" bits. They are also advertised as snaffles even though they aren't, by any stretch of the imagination. People see the broken mouth on them and automatically think "snaffle" and then make the leap from snaffle to "mild". That's about as far as they go when it comes to reasoning behind using that bit.

And, so, it simply maintains the circle of ignorance. The teachers don't know any better; therefore, the students won't know any better and when/if they get to the point that they are teaching others, then they just continue to spread the ignorance.
And the horses are the ones bearing the brunt of that ignorance. That makes me sad. I think of those sweet, responsive horses with those inexperienced kids with their hands all over the place with the TT bits, even going over jumps without any release. Ouch.
     
    07-29-2012, 11:31 PM
  #14
Showing
Yep. That's just one of those things that we see and can't help but cringe but know there really isn't much we can do about it other than try to educate those that do ask for help.
     
    07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
  #15
Green Broke
I've only ever seen TT being used Western. I can't imagine it being a good bit for direct reining, much less in the hands of a 6 year old

My barn runs two 1-week horse camps each summer, and they use reins attached to the halter for any kids who haven't had riding experience (plus a leadline if needed) and put them on appropriate horses.

Do you know if they use those same bits any other time? I know the TT isn't show legal for dressage, not sure about any other English discipline, though...
     
    07-30-2012, 08:57 PM
  #16
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1016    

Do you know if they use those same bits any other time? I know the TT isn't show legal for dressage, not sure about any other English discipline, though...
I don't know. I was hoping to take a couple of lessons there to polish up a bit, but I'm going to find out about the bit thing first. I really don't want to be jumping in a TT. Wrong on so many levels.
     
    07-30-2012, 09:14 PM
  #17
Green Broke
I see so many threads bashing TT bits. But I've seen so many horses go just fine in them.

Like any other bit, it's the bodies behind the bit that makes the difference. Both the horse and the rider and how well they can work together to get the needed movements.
     
    07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
  #18
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots    
I see so many threads bashing TT bits. But I've seen so many horses go just fine in them.

Like any other bit, it's the bodies behind the bit that makes the difference. Both the horse and the rider and how well they can work together to get the needed movements.
I agree. I have seen some horses who are very happy with them. The right horse with the right rider, and it seems fine. My confusion was that I didn't think it was a suitable bit for direct-reining, constant mouth contact, or untrained hands, and here it was being used for all 3.
     
    07-31-2012, 01:13 AM
  #19
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by freia    
I agree. I have seen some horses who are very happy with them. The right horse with the right rider, and it seems fine. My confusion was that I didn't think it was a suitable bit for direct-reining, constant mouth contact, or untrained hands, and here it was being used for all 3.
If the horses were working nicely, TT bits must not be as evil as we hear. *shrug*
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tom Thumb Bits? LikeaTB Horse Tack and Equipment 2 06-21-2012 11:56 PM
Are Tom Thumb bits Cruel? Farmergirl Horse Training 69 04-20-2012 07:13 PM
Switching Bits - From Tom Thumb to D-Ring Snaffle erino49 Horse Tack and Equipment 16 11-16-2011 03:41 PM
Looking for input on Robart pinchless bits and transitioning into it from Tom Thumb Jodylynn509 Horse Tack and Equipment 0 08-16-2010 06:06 AM
Tom Thumb Bits Skippy! Horse Tack and Equipment 26 03-30-2009 08:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0