Treeless saddle advice (picture heavy) - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Treeless saddle advice (picture heavy)

This is a discussion on Treeless saddle advice (picture heavy) within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

    Like Tree17Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-11-2013, 07:42 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    Ok, I would love to hear opinions, from treeless and treed saddle users, on fit, function, improvements, etc!

    Keep in mind only Chivas (the first horse) had the girth attached, but I did try to place the saddles in the place they would sit if girthed and ready to ride.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-11-2013, 08:03 PM
      #12
    Trained
    I am more confused than you are. Did you like them? Which one? I'm thinking that you liked the Torsion better?

    I look forward to hearing the comments of the treeless experts.
    AnitaAnne likes this.
         
        08-11-2013, 08:18 PM
      #13
    Yearling
    I don't know what to think Celeste! I like them both for different reasons...I need advice for sure

    I loved the Torsion's leather even though it's slippery, but I think it needs a firmer pad, maybe a Skito pad with the wool felt inserts?

    I love the way the Barefoot rides like a Dressage saddle, and works with the pad I have, but I really think it is too big for Chivas.

    I loved the Torsion until I rode in the Cheyenne, Chivas definitely rode better in the Cheyenne, but his back would hurt on longer rides. I just don't know what to do...

    I do hope some treeless folks chime in!!
    Celeste likes this.
         
        08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    Oh it is all so confusing!
    AnitaAnne likes this.
         
        08-11-2013, 10:09 PM
      #15
    Started
    It IS confusing!! You want me to send you my Bob Marshall to try? I like it because I HATE sitting above my horse! I prefer to sit down like I am riding bareback. I have a Skito and an Equipedic, and I prefer the Skito.

    I would get a sheepskin cover for whichever one you decide on. Your bum deserves it!!


    Nancy
    AnitaAnne likes this.
         
        08-11-2013, 10:11 PM
      #16
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnitaAnne    
    I love the way the Barefoot rides like a Dressage saddle, and works with the pad I have, but I really think it is too big for Chivas.

    I loved the Torsion until I rode in the Cheyenne, Chivas definitely rode better in the Cheyenne, but his back would hurt on longer rides. I just don't know what to do...
    I have experience with a couple types of treeless that I have personally ridden in, but am certainly not a treeless guru!!

    My first thought would be to have you ride in both saddles a second time, but use the same stirrups and leathers on each saddle (personally I would be using the english-type leathers and stirrups from the cheyenne, as big fenders like what is on your torsion is agonizing to my knees). I think you may find the torsion rides differently without those big fenders. I would also be interested to see if Chivas responds to the difference in your seat by being less anxious in the torsion or if it doesn't make any difference.

    Just out of curiosity, how does he react if you ride him bareback outright?

    I would hesitate to ride either saddle in your dressage pad.. as any treeless saddle I have ever seen is meant to be used with a pad with the foam inserts. They are expensive, but they help distribute the weight since there is no tree to do so.
    AnitaAnne likes this.
         
        08-11-2013, 10:16 PM
      #17
    Weanling
    I don't know the Torsion, but I have a Cheyenne.
    Both horses I use it on move very well with it and seem happy.
    I had to get acustomed to it, I didn't initially like the feeling of being "perched" away from the back. I think it molds to the horse's back with time and that feeling lessens.

    With a treeless, you can put it more forward than a treed saddle, but it will always settle back where it belongs. I think you and your horse might be happier in a size 1. On most pictures, the Barefoot seemed more level than the Torsion. Is the Torsion pushing you backward while riding?

    With any treeless, I'd put a pad with inserts to help clear the spine.
    The pommel: do you know what size you have? If it's too narrow, it can be a site of pressure/discomfort on the wither. You could have it changed for a soft pommel, especially if you ride different types of horses. That's what I have and it didn't change the stability of the saddle.
    AnitaAnne likes this.
         
        08-11-2013, 10:38 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greentree    
    It IS confusing!! You want me to send you my Bob Marshall to try? I like it because I HATE sitting above my horse! I prefer to sit down like I am riding bareback. I have a Skito and an Equipedic, and I prefer the Skito.

    I would get a sheepskin cover for whichever one you decide on. Your bum deserves it!!


    Nancy
    Oh no! Don't you dare send me the Bob Marshall to try!! I have too many saddles as it is...

    Definantly going to get a sheepskin saddle pad, those saddles are all slippery!
         
        08-11-2013, 10:55 PM
      #19
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phantomhorse13    
    I have experience with a couple types of treeless that I have personally ridden in, but am certainly not a treeless guru!!

    My first thought would be to have you ride in both saddles a second time, but use the same stirrups and leathers on each saddle (personally I would be using the english-type leathers and stirrups from the cheyenne, as big fenders like what is on your torsion is agonizing to my knees). I think you may find the torsion rides differently without those big fenders. I would also be interested to see if Chivas responds to the difference in your seat by being less anxious in the torsion or if it doesn't make any difference.

    Just out of curiosity, how does he react if you ride him bareback outright?

    I would hesitate to ride either saddle in your dressage pad.. as any treeless saddle I have ever seen is meant to be used with a pad with the foam inserts. They are expensive, but they help distribute the weight since there is no tree to do so.

    You are so right! I plan to ride in them several times. I hate the western stirrups, but it is a pain to change them back and forth, so I used what was on the saddle. I ordered the leathers for the Cheyene, and had an extra pair of stirrups. I'm going to buy some endurance stirrups, but not just yet.

    I haven't riden Chivas bareback yet, he is so round! But the previous owner did ride him bareback all the time cause she couldn't find a saddle to fit
    phantomhorse13 likes this.
         
        08-11-2013, 11:01 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    BTW, Chivas is very good-looking!
    AnitaAnne likes this.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Unexpected Pregnancy, advice welcome. *Picture heavy* Tianimalz Horse Breeding 36 12-26-2012 08:28 PM
    Treeless Saddles - thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? ModernThreat101 Horse Tack and Equipment 20 02-19-2012 10:25 AM
    Saddle fit critique, slightly urgent **EXTREME picture heavy!!** BellaC Horse Tack and Equipment 14 05-08-2011 06:50 PM
    Saddle fit re-critique? *picture heavy* Wallaby Horse Tack and Equipment 5 04-29-2011 03:13 PM
    Treeless saddles vs heavy riders dee Horse Tack and Equipment 13 04-25-2011 12:15 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0