Using a Pelham...
I've been using a Pelham on Lacey as of late (because of how I can use the snaffle rein most of the time when she's behaving and just kick in the curb when she needs a little extra wake up call).
Today while I was riding I realized that I really have no idea about how to properly use one of these bits and since I'm using it, I probably should know what's going on.
I know that I should be using 2 reins, one for the top ring and one for the bottom ring (which I am), intuitively I can guess that I probably only want to really have contact with the top/snaffle rein (which I'm doing), but other than that I'm kinda in the dark. I'm also holding the reins in my hands differently than I would if I just had one rein, the curb rein is between my ring and pinky finger while the snaffle is between my middle and ring fingers, I assume that's right?
I guess if someone could just give me a run down on the do's and don't with pelhams, I'd be highly appreciative. :)
It's a ported pelham if that makes any difference (Lacey can't have broken bits in her mouth due to her gray horse melanomas).
Lacey's going really really well in it, she's responsive to the snaffle 95% of the time and it's wonderful to have the option of getting stronger with her when she gets strong with me (the other 5% of the time).
Fabio - 13 year old Arabian/Lipizzaner gelding
Hazel - 14 year old Angora goat
Atticus - 4 year old LaMancha/Alpine cross goat
Rest peacefully, Lacey.