walking horse bit

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

walking horse bit

This is a discussion on walking horse bit within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • How to ride a walking horse with a walking horse bit
  • What does a pascal walking horse bit do

LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-15-2008, 01:46 AM
walking horse bit

I have a walking horse. Is it true that they make walking horse bits? Should I be using one? What do they look like?
Sponsored Links
    08-15-2008, 01:52 AM
They do, but you don't need one. What kind of a bit is he used to, and how is he responding to it? Is there a reason to change? Give us some more info.
    08-15-2008, 03:35 AM
http://www.horse.com/Western-Tack/Bi...Bit-WBE61.html This is the one that a friend of mine uses. Personally, I ride all of mine in a loose ring hollow mouth snaffle with a french link. The wh bit both didn't work and they would not respond in it. A lot of people like it, but my Walkers unanimously said no.
    08-15-2008, 07:49 AM
They do make bits just for gaited horses. I've had a few *****footers over years and bought into the idea that you had to have that particular bit to get the most from them. I never noticed the difference between a regular shanked bit and the WH bit so unless you are showing your horse in a breed specific show that requires that bit, I would just use what he currently does well in.
    08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
My horse will never be used for any kind of shows or anything...just pleasure riding. I have only ridden him once because I havent had him long and soon learned that I should do ground work first. The bit I currently use is the one with two metal pieces that join in the middle (plz excuse my noobness lol)
    08-15-2008, 03:57 PM
If the bit has no shanks, it's a snaffle. If the bit has shanks,it's a curb--probably a Tom Thumb. Is this the bit that he came with? Are you direct reining or neck reining? As a general rule, these days most people prefer either a solid mouthpiece (low port curb or Kimberwicke, mullen mouth) or a double jointed (as opposed to the single joint/V shaped mouth) French or comfort snaffle.

The one rule to keep in mind: a direct rein bit is a snaffle and any bit with shanks or leverage is a curb regardless of whether the mouthpiece is jointed or solid. Leverage/no leverage determines the kind of bit, not the mouthpiece.

I like Myler bits, you can read up on them here:

Even if you don't buy a Myler, there's a lot of good info there about how the different kinds of bits work.

If you google around a little on the internet, you can find a place that will rent you a Myler bit to use for a short time, then you can decide if that's the one that you want to buy.
    08-15-2008, 04:50 PM
My bit does have shanks. My horse will not neckrein. I don't think my horse has ever been taught that. I will check out the web site you suggested
    08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
heres my bit
    08-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Green Broke
I know many gaited horses that ride in a bit similar to that - - if he responds to it, I say there is no need for a wh bit - they tend to have longer shaks = more leverage.
    08-16-2008, 12:52 PM
That's a very mild shanked bit and it's not a Tom Thumb but I think it's called tear drop shanked bit. Your horse really should be neck reined in it otherwise go back a step and get him into a simple snaffle. It can be a "D" ring, an "O" ring, or a full cheek.

Once you have your horse neck reining then you can move into the bit you are using or just ride him in the snaffle.

Gaited horses are usually worked in a shanked bit and they will gait better if they are collected a little with some light contact rather then a loose rein.

Thread Tools

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0