I changed bits and headstalls on Vida today. I keep each bit on its own headstall because I'm too lazy to take them apart. Anyway on with the story.
We were on our way home from a ride. Just finished a good gallop across a hay meadow and I was turning to wait for hubby to catch up. Vida started throwing her head and prancing about. I looked down and her headstall had come apart and the bit was out of her mouth and hanging by her head. It's one of those single ear, no throat latch headstalls, so it was just hanging from her one ear. I jumped off as quick as I could since she was freaking out and I didn't have any hold on her.
The Chicago screw (what I call them) had fallen out that held the bit on. Thank God she had a rope halter on so I rode her home with just the reins attached to the halter (she did great by the way). Moral of the story....Always check your tack before a ride. Make sure all the screws are tight, or better yet use some waxed thread to hold it together which is what I plan to do.
It was a great ride other than that