Western correction bit....
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Western correction bit....

This is a discussion on Western correction bit.... within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Correction bit western
  • Square port correction bit

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
  #1
Banned
Western correction bit....

Tell me about this bit.....I was given a square port correction bit, it has quite a bit of movement in it....i currently ride my horse in a round port correction and he goes great in it, however I like to change things a little every now and again, and I'm a big believer in seeing how different things 'feel'.....it's identical to this one I referenced in the following link, thanks!
I'd just like to know if anyone uses these and how they find the 'action' of the bit and what they find it useful for......
Sweet Iron Copper Roller Mouth Elbow Low Port Correction Bit on eBay!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-03-2013, 12:10 AM
  #2
Yearling
Ok, this bit is a very nice, fairly mild bit that, by the sounds of it, your horse should ride just fine in it. It is actually milder than a round ported correction bit, but does have a different "feel" to it. I would maybe bit your horse up before saddling, let him get used to a tad different feel and he should pick it right up! Hope this helps and I hope you have a great ride tomorrow! Let me know how he likes it!! (:
Muppetgirl likes this.
     
    01-03-2013, 12:16 AM
  #3
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanstrom Horses    
Ok, this bit is a very nice, fairly mild bit that, by the sounds of it, your horse should ride just fine in it. It is actually milder than a round ported correction bit, but does have a different "feel" to it. I would maybe bit your horse up before saddling, let him get used to a tad different feel and he should pick it right up! Hope this helps and I hope you have a great ride tomorrow! Let me know how he likes it!! (:
Thanks so much! Yes I was very curious because it has so much movement in it, I like the fact that a person could use one rein effectively to pick a shoulder up with this bit because of the play in it......it will be interesting to see how light or not light he is in this.....I will report my findings!
Wanstrom Horses likes this.
     
    01-03-2013, 12:20 AM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
Thanks so much! Yes I was very curious because it has so much movement in it, I like the fact that a person could use one rein effectively to pick a shoulder up with this bit because of the play in it......it will be interesting to see how light or not light he is in this.....I will report my findings!
Yes that is one thing I forgot to mention, I love the movement in these bits. I trained barrel horses for a few years before I went full-out into bridle horses and I loved how you can control the whole horse with that bit. I could pick up the horses shoulder and pop their rib out an put a pattern on them in no time. And you say you "were given"? Lucky girl! ;)
     
    01-03-2013, 12:24 AM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanstrom Horses    
Yes that is one thing I forgot to mention, I love the movement in these bits. I trained barrel horses for a few years before I went full-out into bridle horses and I loved how you can control the whole horse with that bit. I could pick up the horses shoulder and pop their rib out an put a pattern on them in no time. And you say you "were given"? Lucky girl! ;)
Ya! I have a very exceptional horsewoman pal and we've ridden together on and off for ten years now, she says 'my tack is your tack!' pretty great friend indeed! She has a bucket of bits that's I can fish through when I feel the need to try something new! I pay her back by bringing her chocolate and riding a horse or two! I think she has two of everything!
     
    01-03-2013, 12:38 AM
  #6
Yearling
Hell, somebody could rob me if they paid me in chocolate!! ;) Those are the kind of friends to have LOL! (:
Muppetgirl likes this.
     
    01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
  #7
Banned
Ok....so tried the bit today....was a real interesting feel, he was super super soft in it, lateral flexing was super soft....it was good....working at a trot it actually was feeling better than the round port correction.....until....I loped...he was still,ultra soft in it, even when I just held and blocked with my hands and pushed him into it, however I found that even though he was soft on it he didn't round up against it......does that make sense??? He wasn't on my hands at all though...

Tricky thing to explain!!!!
     
    01-05-2013, 01:34 AM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
Ok....so tried the bit today....was a real interesting feel, he was super super soft in it, lateral flexing was super soft....it was good....working at a trot it actually was feeling better than the round port correction.....until....I loped...he was still,ultra soft in it, even when I just held and blocked with my hands and pushed him into it, however I found that even though he was soft on it he didn't round up against it......does that make sense??? He wasn't on my hands at all though...

Tricky thing to explain!!!!
I just hate tough stuff to explain lol. Hmm, are you saying he pushed against it in a lope or did he just not collect? Or am I way off? ;)
     
    01-05-2013, 11:45 AM
  #9
Super Moderator
I like that type of bit although I have the rounded port. I wonder if the "flat" centr was mild enough he to lazy and went flat?
     
    01-05-2013, 02:02 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84    
I like that type of bit although I have the rounded port. I wonder if the "flat" centr was mild enough he to lazy and went flat?
Yes! That's exactly what happened! Thanks for explaining that! He wouldn't round in it, but he was soft on it at the same time, he gave completely!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Correction Bits eeo11horse Horse Tack and Equipment 7 06-29-2012 10:41 AM
Correction bits tempest Horse Tack and Equipment 7 06-25-2012 03:02 PM
whinny correction JustPaint Horse Talk 7 10-02-2010 01:10 AM
ECP Sheepskin Correction Half Pad AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Tack and Equipment 3 08-02-2010 12:16 AM
Correction, Anyone near Parksley Virginia? coffeemama Horse Talk 0 05-24-2010 08:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0