Western Saddle brands to avoid? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 13,588
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl Play View Post
Is anyone willing to tell me why the DON'T recommend a particular brand? I'm not trying to turn this into a brand slamming thread, but I'm curious if you have had bad experience with some of these brands. Ideally, a saddle is something that should last for quite some time, so if I do end up buying one, I want it to be good. Plus, I like learning these things.
The brand that everyone has recommended use American Cow Leather, American Made Trees.

The Brands everyone has Not recommended are from India and Pakistan, they are made with in 95% of the cases with Water Buffalo and Tanned with unmentionable liquids for saying on a Family Forum

The Tree are most often Balsa Wood or Hollow Fiberglas, they use nails and staple that do not have barbs, so they have little or no holding power, the screws the use hold little better, because they screw into cheap trees.

I am not knocking Imports as a rule, but they have a long way to go to even come close to the Cheapest American Made Saddle.

.

May all your Trails be happy and safe ones

Kevin
SouthernTrails is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW WA
Posts: 610
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA View Post
The brand that everyone has recommended use American Cow Leather, American Made Trees.

The Brands everyone has Not recommended are from India and Pakistan, they are made with in 95% of the cases with Water Buffalo and Tanned with unmentionable liquids for saying on a Family Forum

The Tree are most often Balsa Wood or Hollow Fiberglas, they use nails and staple that do not have barbs, so they have little or no holding power, the screws the use hold little better, because they screw into cheap trees.

I am not knocking Imports as a rule, but they have a long way to go to even come close to the Cheapest American Made Saddle.

.
Thanks. That's the kind of information I was looking for.


Joni
Fowl Play is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Avoid: Buffalo, Double T, any saddle made in Asia or Mexico.
I believe, my Alamo was assembled in Mexico (with parts made in US). It's not cheap though and as comfortable as one can think off. The quality is very good too.

To the OP, stay away from western Wintec. I had an accident with it as well as friend of mine. So will NEVER go for one. And as already mentioned all those cheap no-brand leather saddles and anything Circle * (except Circle Y, which is a nice brand), King etc.
kitten_Val is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val View Post
I believe, my Alamo was assembled in Mexico (with parts made in US). It's not cheap though and as comfortable as one can think off. The quality is very good too.
Val, made in Mexico with US parts is very different then a saddle that is made completely in Mexico. I meant no offense to your saddle as there are always exceptions but it takes a knowledgeable buyer to know what to look for, and it isn't just the way it feels but rather knowing the tree maker and how the leather was tanned.

Some of the Corriente saddles are assembled in Mexico and they are exceptional saddles for the price.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Val, made in Mexico with US parts is very different then a saddle that is made completely in Mexico. I meant no offense to your saddle as there are always exceptions but it takes a knowledgeable buyer to know what to look for, and it isn't just the way it feels but rather knowing the tree maker and how the leather was tanned.

Some of the Corriente saddles are assembled in Mexico and they are exceptional saddles for the price.
I spent a month looking for the saddle after lots of research (on tree, leather, fit) and measurements, and that was the best one I found around that would fit both my horses and me (and still would be in my price range under $1K). So far I've been using it on trails, team penning, etc. for 3 years. I was not going after your comment in any way, I just brought up that there are great saddles assembled in Mexico.

P.S. However I don't know about any great saddles made in Vietnam or India. Lol!
kitten_Val is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Your Opinon (Saddle Brands) Sketter Horse Tack and Equipment 13 12-13-2009 09:52 AM
Saddle Brands - please, help! kitten_Val Horse Tack and Equipment 8 11-10-2009 09:28 AM
Good western saddle brands? ansci Horse Tack and Equipment 16 03-10-2009 10:55 AM
Top Saddle Brands Moxie Horse Tack and Equipment 1 11-03-2008 11:17 AM
English Saddle Brands AKPaintLover Horse Tack and Equipment 3 03-28-2008 02:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome