Western Saddle Measurements?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Western Saddle Measurements?

This is a discussion on Western Saddle Measurements? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • How do i know what size western saddle to order online
  • Crestridge saddlery, saddle templet

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By iridehorses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-16-2012, 03:50 AM
  #1
Foal
Western Saddle Measurements?

I can finally afford a new western saddle.
I have done some research and have decided I going to purchase the saddle online.
The only thing is I don't know how to measure my mare for the saddle measurements without doing the whole ' mould wire from horses back onto cardboard and put it under the saddles at the shop ( I know, very vague, but hopefully you know what I mean).
So I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how and where to measure on the saddle so I can buy the right size online. ( You know how it shows the size in the sale description or next to a photo etc )

Thankyou
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-16-2012, 03:58 AM
  #2
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitingTheBit    
I can finally afford a new western saddle.
I have done some research and have decided I going to purchase the saddle online.
The only thing is I don't know how to measure my mare for the saddle measurements without doing the whole ' mould wire from horses back onto cardboard and put it under the saddles at the shop ( I know, very vague, but hopefully you know what I mean).
So I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how and where to measure on the saddle so I can buy the right size online. ( You know how it shows the size in the sale description or next to a photo etc )

Thankyou
Crestridge saddlery has instructions for doing a wire mold and measuring at specific distances. This will tell you the gullet size range you need, and whether it's regular or wide tree. Their website is Crest Ridge Saddlery Home and the saddle fitting instructions are at How to Measure for the Best Fitting Saddle .

Good luck!
     
    04-16-2012, 06:04 AM
  #3
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitingTheBit    
So I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how and where to measure on the saddle so I can buy the right size online. ( You know how it shows the size in the sale description or next to a photo etc )

Thankyou
You can't. There is more to the size then measuring the gullet (which is generally the measurement that saddle shops give) but if you haven't measured your horse, how do you know it is the right size? Secondly, gullet size is not the only thing you want to know, you also want to know the angle of the bars and how that will match to your horse.

Don't take a short cut if you are doing this on line, you need to measure your horse.

With 2 saddles having a 6 3/4" gullet, one saddle may say QHB and the other may say FQHB - or they may both say QHB. It isn't like shoe sizes, each manufacturer decides what angle that represents and one saddle may fit while the other doesn't.
smrobs and DrumRunner like this.
     
    04-18-2012, 12:26 AM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladytrails    
Crestridge saddlery has instructions for doing a wire mold and measuring at specific distances. This will tell you the gullet size range you need, and whether it's regular or wide tree. Their website is Crest Ridge Saddlery Home and the saddle fitting instructions are at How to Measure for the Best Fitting Saddle .

Good luck!
great site! I saw the same advice at the horse expo during a saddle demo,
Using those measurements helps estimate gullet and flare.
     
    04-18-2012, 01:26 AM
  #5
Trained
Very good site
Very helpful
     
    04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
  #6
Weanling
Horsesaddleshop.com has free download templates, 3 of them SQHB, regular QHB, and FQHB. Download, cut out of cardboard. You can use the big piece to fit the horse, and the other one that you cut out for holding up to on fitting inside the gullet of used saddles. I don't know where on that site they templates are. Look for saddlefitting.
     
    04-19-2012, 12:49 AM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladytrails    
Crestridge saddlery has instructions for doing a wire mold and measuring at specific distances. This will tell you the gullet size range you need, and whether it's regular or wide tree. Their website is Crest Ridge Saddlery Home and the saddle fitting instructions are at How to Measure for the Best Fitting Saddle .

Good luck!
This was very helpful and there was plenty of detail, thank you!
     
    04-19-2012, 12:51 AM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack Collector    
horsesaddleshop.com has free download templates, 3 of them SQHB, regular QHB, and FQHB. Download, cut out of cardboard. You can use the big piece to fit the horse, and the other one that you cut out for holding up to on fitting inside the gullet of used saddles. I don't know where on that site they templates are. Look for saddlefitting.
Fantastic! Thank you.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English saddle gullet measurements DraftyAiresMum Horse Tack and Equipment 9 09-27-2012 01:28 PM
Measurements for custom Guffy saddle TrailxxRider Horse Tack and Equipment 1 03-19-2012 12:36 AM
question on WESTERN bit measurements farmpony84 Horse Tack and Equipment 13 02-16-2012 09:16 AM
WTB: Used Western, Endurance or Aussie saddle. Vintage western saddle preferred silverdollarmagic Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 03-27-2011 11:33 PM
measurements JumpingJellyBean Jumping 2 09-10-2009 12:56 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0