What is this bit called?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What is this bit called?

This is a discussion on What is this bit called? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Green Broke
It's some kind of driving bit, I believe.
Sponsored Links
    04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Teen Forum Moderator
I believe its a very rusty (or made of something I don't know of) half-cheek mullen mouth snaffle. It is used for driving a lot for sure, but you can also ride in it. I use one on my miniature horse mare, but it's made of stainless steel with german silver inlays.

    04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Question What is this bit called?

So, my dad got some bits at an auction this last weekend, he bought them for decorations, and this was one of them..

Honestly, I have no idea what this is. If anyone knows anything about it, that would be awesome!
    04-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Similar half spoon-cheek bits were used on trotters and pacers a lot in the UK. I've never seen a mouthpiece like this but I suspect the discs either side of the 'port' were intended to keep it central over the tongue.

Unless anyone knows different?
    04-24-2012, 09:35 PM
We race Standardbreds and yes it looks very similar to the bits we use but I too have never seen the discs.
Posted via Mobile Device

bit info, bits

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is this called? Equilove Horse Conformation Critique 8 01-18-2012 02:05 PM
What are these called and where can I get them? :D SorrelHorse Horse Tack and Equipment 4 09-21-2011 02:47 PM
What is this bit called? misskingraven Horse Tack and Equipment 22 09-02-2011 01:48 AM
What is this called? Emma7442 Horse Tack and Equipment 2 09-30-2008 02:55 PM
a horse called Red, a relationship called love... ADozenRoses&Red Horse Stories and Poems 0 07-15-2007 04:21 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0