What is the difference between a saddle pad and a numnah?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What is the difference between a saddle pad and a numnah?

This is a discussion on What is the difference between a saddle pad and a numnah? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Exclamation What is the difference between a saddle pad and a numnah?

I was just wondering what the difference between a saddle pad and a numnah?
Sponsored Links
    11-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Nothing. Just different names for the same thing.
    11-22-2013, 01:18 PM
One of them sounds like you are talking normally, and the other sounds like you have frozen lips .
    11-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Green Broke
Yes I agree - different terms for the same thing specifically in relation to English tack. Not that it matters, but I think numnah is the older and more formal word of the two; here in Canada 'saddle pad' is used more frequently.
    11-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I have never heard that term before. How interesting!
    11-22-2013, 02:07 PM
I've never heard anyone use numnah in person. I assume it's a region/country-specific thing that just isn't used out here.
    11-22-2013, 04:30 PM
I think 'numnah' is Indian, like 'jodhpurs'. It's saddle shaped. Felts were cut that way because oblong/square blankets made horses' flanks sweat excessively in the tropical heat, over areas which there was no practical need to cover.

Otherwise, pads are saddlecloths, felts, blankets or...pads
EvilHorseOfDoom and Chevaux like this.
    11-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Green Broke
Around here I've always understood it as saddle pads are thick pads, saddle blankets are either literally blankets to go over the pad if you're talking western or just the normal saddle blanket or saddle cloth english riders use, like the diamond quilted ones. They're usually roughly square shaped.

Numnahs are saddle shaped though, so you don't see much of it. Here they're often sheepskin, or fake sheepskin.
Northernstar likes this.
    11-22-2013, 06:38 PM
numnah: definition of numnah in Oxford dictionary - American English (US)

... Never heard it either. Now, I will need to see if I can work it in when I play Scrabble.
waresbear and boots like this.
    11-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Green Broke
I have a square diamond quilted saddle pad and a fake sheepskin numnah - I like the numnah far better and use it the most :)

numnah, saddle pad

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between memory foam half pad and thinline BlueDiamonds218 Horse Tack and Equipment 5 09-16-2013 06:09 PM
Numnah battingozzy1 Horse Breeds 3 07-23-2011 10:13 PM
WTB, ASAP! Barrell Saddle PAD - Round Skirt Pad Chele11 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 06-25-2011 06:27 PM
difference between an under pad and saddld pad? Lonannuniel Horse Tack and Equipment 1 05-03-2011 10:50 AM
for sale fly sheet,saddle cloths,numnah,headcollar.......... jadeleanne Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 01-24-2007 08:55 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0