What does this bit do? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What does this bit do?

This is a discussion on What does this bit do? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

    Like Tree3Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-15-2012, 10:42 PM
      #11
    Trained
    My old gelding was ruined by a bit just like this one. He was put into a twisted wire snaffle and had his head cranked down to his chest with a tie down. And then his owners wondered why he was impossible to handle.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-15-2012, 10:48 PM
      #12
    Started
    If your horse doesn't need this, then you shouldn't be using it. That's just my opinion.

    This is not a bit for an easy going horse, depending on what you're doing.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-15-2012, 10:51 PM
      #13
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usandpets    
    Yes they can be harsh but so can whips, crops and spurs. They all can be used correctly to correct and refine too.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    While I will agree about the whips and spurs, some bits cannot NOT be harsh. Just being in the mouth, without much pressure at all, will be uncomfortable to a horse. The horse will move it around in their mouth and the twisted wire will hurt the bars and the corner of the lips. It would be difficult for that bit, even fairly immobile, to be comfortable for the horse. That's my feeling, anyway.
         
        03-15-2012, 11:07 PM
      #14
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WesternBella    
    If your horse doesn't need this, then you shouldn't be using it. That's just my opinion.

    This is not a bit for an easy going horse, depending on what you're doing.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Wasn't my horse I was talking about, it was a friend :) I use a different bit, I was just curious because the bit I use isn't proper for the arena because of its curb so I wanted to try something new. Now I won't try this one because of all the negative feedback on it :) thanks everyone!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-15-2012, 11:13 PM
      #15
    Foal
    Harsh bit for sure. If I were to use it on any horse though (which I wouldn't, but I'm making a point here!) it'd be on an easygoing horse. Any horse where you are doing a bit of tugging is not a good horse to have this bit on. Potential mouth sores, but more dulling really. And painful in the process. No perks to a bit like this.
         
        03-15-2012, 11:17 PM
      #16
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neonpony    
    Harsh bit for sure. If I were to use it on any horse though (which I wouldn't, but I'm making a point here!) it'd be on an easygoing horse. Any horse where you are doing a bit of tugging is not a good horse to have this bit on. Potential mouth sores, but more dulling really. And painful in the process. No perks to a bit like this.
    Totally makes sense! What kind of bit would you recommend for a horse that could get just a little bit forward in the show ring and can occasionally pull? I've been using a low port correction on him with a curb, and on the aqha circuit it's no problem at all And he's great in it. But for the Marshall & Sterling ring, it's frowned upon, so I was advised to switch. What do you think? It's nothing major, he doesn't take off or act terrible, it's just an occasional aid to get him to come back when he's a little on the fresh side :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-15-2012, 11:21 PM
      #17
    Foal
    I don't ride western, so this may be useless, but I use a full cheek snaffle when jumping on my forward horse. And then http://www.amazon.com/KORSTEEL-Copper-Oval-Eggbutt-Snaffle/dp/B0028H3F5U which is the opposite of harsh, but works amazingly for me
         
        03-15-2012, 11:22 PM
      #18
    Foal
    Annnd you don't ride western either...No clue why I thought you did! So my bits just became more relevant :)
         
        03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
      #19
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neonpony    
    I don't ride western, so this may be useless, but I use a full cheek snaffle when jumping on my forward horse. And then http://www.amazon.com/KORSTEEL-Copper-Oval-Eggbutt-Snaffle/dp/B0028H3F5U which is the opposite of harsh, but works amazingly for me
    I do the hunters :) haha but thanks, I'll try riding him in the full cheek this week and see how he is!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-15-2012, 11:25 PM
      #20
    Started
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0