What kind of a bit is this???? - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East , TN
Posts: 530
• Horses: 4
What kind of a bit is this????

Ok my Scooter hates this bit and I am going to have to get him another one but my Cash can use it ....what kind of a bit is it , and what should I try and switch to ? Oh and I think it is missing a piece ....the chin strap??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (47.2 KB, 76 views)
Calming Melody is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 40,764
• Horses: 2
looks like some kind of gaited horse bit. the round pieces at the end of the mouthpiece are meant to apply pressure on the side of the mouth, I suppose. the hooks are for a curb chain. it looks like a moderately severe bit, in the wrong hands.
tinyliny is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 170
• Horses: 0
Well, in NZ I'd call that an american gag. Strange, I know.. but most sliding gags I'd call that. Anywho, looks like the side rings are to limit the amount of sliding the mouthpiece does. When it's on a horse, the rings would lie against the mouth, not sticking into the horse (and if they are, there's something wrong because your reins shouldn't be twisting the bit like that). And it should have a curb chain on those two small hooks.
noddy is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East , TN
Posts: 530
• Horses: 4
Hmmmm.......I wonder why Scooter doesn't like it but my other horse does...I don't want them to have a severe bit ...I am going to have to look into this so I can pick a better bit
Calming Melody is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,846
• Horses: 1
Does he neck rein well or more direct rein? (Both horses)

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East , TN
Posts: 530
• Horses: 4
They don't neck rein, it's more of I got to pull on the rein for which side I want to go
Calming Melody is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,762
• Horses: 4
CM, then they should be in a snaffle. Curbs are for horses that do neck rein.

I like snaffles with fixed cheeks and a 3-piece mouth - I ride English, but it's a similar premise. A snaffle is for training, a curb (double bridle in the English world) is for refinement.

blue eyed pony is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of names your kids have or what kind of names you'd love to give them? TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 48 02-13-2012 08:43 PM
What Kind Of Bit Is This VMorganW Horse Tack and Equipment 18 04-05-2011 05:37 PM
What kind do you think he is? touchofsleep Horse Colors and Genetics 3 04-04-2011 10:33 PM
What kind of bit? OleHomestead Horse Riding 4 10-24-2010 01:52 AM
what kind of bit is this? lilkitty90 Horse Tack and Equipment 14 10-09-2010 09:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome