What kind of bit is this?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What kind of bit is this?

This is a discussion on What kind of bit is this? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Watson squeeze horse bit
  • Watson double ring snaffle

LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-20-2013, 04:10 PM
What kind of bit is this?

I'm pretty familiar with most types of bits and bitting arrangements, but I've never seen something quite like this. Is anyone familiar with this bit or have any idea what it's called and how it functions?
Sponsored Links
    01-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Green Broke
I have no idea..but Im subbing coz I wanna know too, haha.
Posted via Mobile Device
    01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Ah, nevermind. I finally found something. I had to adjust my search terms a bit.

It's called a Wilson bit. Primarily used as a driving bit but occasionally used for riding horses. It works with a squeezing motion on the sides of the horse's face, rather than at the corners of the mouth. (Credit)
    01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Green Broke
I believe it is a type of snaffle bit; don't know what the mouthpiece is like though as that can come in different styles. I've seen them used before on jumpers and assume that is because the design keeps the bit alittle more stable in the mouth.
    01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
It looks like a Watson double ring snaffle. Click here to see a photo and a full description of how it works.



Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of bug is this? AndersonEquestrian Horse Health 14 10-04-2012 09:30 PM
What kind of bit is this? JustMuckItxD Horse Tack and Equipment 9 04-03-2012 07:54 PM
What kind of names your kids have or what kind of names you'd love to give them? TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 48 02-13-2012 08:43 PM
What Kind Of Bit Is This VMorganW Horse Tack and Equipment 18 04-05-2011 05:37 PM
What kind of bit is this? Chele11 Horse Tack and Equipment 11 01-03-2011 12:30 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0