What Kind Of Bit Is This

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What Kind Of Bit Is This

This is a discussion on What Kind Of Bit Is This within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Parts diagram never rust weymouth bit
  • Names of diffrent styles of horse bits never rust

LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
What Kind Of Bit Is This

Was wondering what kind of bit this was and what it is primarily used for. Thanks so much! It says Made in England and Never Rust on each side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bit.JPG (54.8 KB, 208 views)
Sponsored Links
    04-04-2011, 10:07 PM
It looks like a weymouth curb which is used in a double bridle for dressage with a bradoon bit.
    04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
First off I thought it was some sort of bit used for gaited horses. Might be.
Or, it could be one half of a double bridle, the curb half.
    04-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't think it is a gaited horse bit because it has a lip strap ring.
    04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm new to English riding, can you tell me what a double bridle is? I actually got this with a bridle that had two bits on it.
    04-04-2011, 10:24 PM
It is a bridle used for high level dressage that has two bits: a curb and a snaffle. The rider uses two sets of reins and communicates to the horse differently with the curb bit(weymouth) and the snaffle(bradoon). It is used after riders have ridden many many years and have very light hands. At this level the rider uses aids from their body, legs, arms and pretty much every part of their body to communicate to the horse at a very subtle level and the two bits are incorporated in that.

This website has a lot of information on dressage: ::: Sustainable Dressage - - Welcome to my Site about Sustainable Dressage! :::
    04-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks so much! Dressage takes alot of talent and I have a lot of respect for those who do it.
    04-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes it does and sadly way too many people take short cuts and do it wrong. It doesn't affect them badly but it affects the horses they ride.
    04-04-2011, 11:17 PM
It's also used in saddleseat classes in the double bridle.
Posted via Mobile Device
    04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
It's amazing how intelligent and elligant horses are! I can only imagine how complicated it is for them to try and understand what we want them to do by different pressures in their mouth. Its sad when a horse is sold from home to home and has so many different people on it who all ride differently. My TB is my world, I live sleep breathe her. My boyfriend doesn't ride and doesnt understand horses and back when I was talking about getting her (He has kids) he wanted me to bring them out to ride her. I know how I came across but it was hard for me to explain to him in a nice way I don't want a bunch of inexperianced riders jumping on her and pulling on her mouth or kicking her to go. I want her to learn me and me to learn her so we can ride as one.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of names your kids have or what kind of names you'd love to give them? TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 48 02-13-2012 08:43 PM
What kind do you think he is? touchofsleep Horse Colors and Genetics 3 04-04-2011 10:33 PM
What kind of bit is this? SidMit Horse Tack and Equipment 20 12-16-2010 10:33 AM
What kind of bit?!? Whiskey Lullaby Horse Tack and Equipment 12 09-03-2009 03:24 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0