What kind of bit is this?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What kind of bit is this?

This is a discussion on What kind of bit is this? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Triple bit horse
  • What kind of bit has three breaks

LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-28-2011, 10:53 PM
What kind of bit is this?

Okay, I found this bit on a website and am really confused.

Okay first what is it? I have seen double mouthpieces, never triple. I don't ever see anyone using that on a horse. How effective would it be? Or more importantly what effect are you going for?

Anybody have anyclue?
Sponsored Links
    07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
How weird! Never seen anything like that, seems like it would be a mouthful for the poor horse. Can't wait to see what other people will say, hopefully someone knows.
    07-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Green Broke
A triple french link? I have no clue. The metal looks a tad thin to be a french link.
    07-28-2011, 11:44 PM
I've seen this same discussion on another forum and the final consensus was that, hopefully, it's not a functional bit and instead a decorative piece. Trying to guess what it's sitting on--possibly a helmet? And it's not to scale for a horse's mouth. If it's on a couch, different story. I seriously hope it was never used, anyway.
    07-29-2011, 12:05 AM
I'd second Bubba as it looks like the mouthpieces are spaced too far apart to fit comfortably in a horse's mouth. (But then again, there are people who think combonation gag bits are perfectly safe on a horse )
I'd say its a decorative bit.
    07-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Pity it's so godawful ugly, too. :roll:
    07-29-2011, 06:46 AM
A really bad belt buckle?
    07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
What website did you find it on?
    07-29-2011, 01:51 PM
^I think it was on tackytackoftheday.blogspot.com a long time ago.
    07-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by ilovemyPhillip    
A triple french link? I have no clue. The metal looks a tad thin to be a french link.
If its an actual bit I would asumme that it's a Dr. Bristol. I've never seen another bit that has that joint unless it's Dr. Bristol. Most horses hate Dr. Bristols anyways since the joint always digs into their tounge. I can't imagine putting three mouthpieces in a horse let alone three Dr. Bristol.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of names your kids have or what kind of names you'd love to give them? TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 48 02-13-2012 08:43 PM
What Kind Of Bit Is This VMorganW Horse Tack and Equipment 18 04-05-2011 05:37 PM
What kind do you think he is? touchofsleep Horse Colors and Genetics 3 04-04-2011 10:33 PM
A Different Kind of Cow!! Kate90 Farm Animals 17 03-01-2011 10:41 PM
What kind of bit is this? SidMit Horse Tack and Equipment 20 12-16-2010 10:33 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0