What kind of English saddle is this?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What kind of English saddle is this?

This is a discussion on What kind of English saddle is this? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • English saddle with no makers mark
  • Show stamp marks on english saddles site:www.horseforum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
What kind of English saddle is this?

Hi everyone, I feel really stupid asking this but I have and english saddle and have information about it. It has no makers mark or markings on it at all I looked all over.

Story on saddle: I had ridden English before in jumping saddles and always felt uncomfortably pushed forward, coming from a western back ground. I started work at a ranch that had both western and English saddles. One horse came from a dressage background and was starting to get out of tune with a lot of young inexperienced riders so I decided to ride him English one day and pulled out one of the saddles. It was the most comfortable english saddles I had ever ridden and I LOVED it! I rode this horse in it over and over. When I had to move and leave the ranch I asked how much they wanted for the saddle since it rarely got used and I had fallen in love with the feel of riding in it. I was told it was bought at a tack sale a while ago and that I could take it as a parting gift. My boss, co-worker and I where really close. We hung out a lot even off the job. So I happily took it home and later realized the cinch didn't fit my horse, so I haven't ridden in it for a while and got it out to clean it up the other day and look for markings.... no markings and no clue what it was meant for.... Can ya'll look at and see if you can tell?



Sponsored Links
    01-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Looks like close contact to me...
    01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Looks like a generic all purpose saddle to me.

Kind of like this...

Economy English Starter Set - Statelinetack.com
    01-28-2011, 11:40 AM
It looks identical to my all purpose saddle
    01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
In England it would be called a GP - general purpose including for show jumping. It allows the rider to shorten the stirrups and bring the knees up for jumping..

If you bought it new from a reputable maker in the UK (say Ideal) it might cost $1600.

You should be able to get a 'girth' for it by mail order.

    01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Another vote for all purpose saddle.
    01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Me to all purpose
    01-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Hmmm.... Interesting... (not arguing here BTW) To me it has very forward flaps and looks like this one: Dover Saddlery | Marcel Toulouse Celine Close Contact Saddle .

I always thought A/P has more "straight"/long flaps: Dover Saddlery | Crosby Sofride All-Purpose Saddle .
    01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Okay so I sense at the very least we have deemed this a jumping saddle of some type. Looking at both sites posted I think it could be either. I wasn't even sure it was a jumping saddle because it dose not push me forward at all like all the others did. I am not very experienced English rider but enjoy it and want to learn more.... I come from a western back ground in AZ.
    01-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Most riders when conducting a jumping exercise will shorten the stirrup leathers at least one maybe two or more notches. This has the effect of bending the rider's knee so the skirt of the saddle needs to be broader - as per the photo.
The bent knee allows the rider to more easily lift off the saddle during the jump.

The jumping saddle also usually has deep knee rolls into which to 'lock' the knee in position, especially for when the horse lands.

On a dressage saddle, the leg is allowed to hang down longer and thereby straighter so the cut of the saddle is straight down with only minimal knee rolls. An experienced English rider should be able to post to the trot without using the stirrups irons but this takes practice.

All English saddles should first fit the shape of the horse's back, but then it should suit and feel comfortable to the rider. For example of the six English cut saddles in our tack room, only two fit my own horse - each of the five horses has its own saddle which is regularly checked by a saddler to make sure it still fits the horse's back, which gradually changes in shape according to fitness level.

Any good English saddler makes numerous patterns of saddle - each designed for a specific purpose - the GP is in effect a compromise design allowing a rider to jump and do basic dressage.

It is extremely important that the saddle matches the shape of the horse's back. A thick numbnah helps the saddle to better fit but English saddles are designed to be used without a blanket or saddle cloth. These came into use largely to keep the saddle clean rather than to compensate for an ill fitting saddle.

Because of its small footprint on the back, an ill fitting saddle will inflict pain on the horse and cause it to disobey.

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what kind of saddle is this? lilkitty90 Horse Riding 17 12-15-2010 04:23 PM
What Kind of Saddle Pad? mapleridgefarm Horse Tack and Equipment 3 11-20-2010 10:56 PM
What kind of saddle do I need? equiniphile English Riding 11 05-22-2010 10:12 PM
What kind of saddle pad is this? cheply Horse Tack and Equipment 3 10-07-2009 12:01 AM
Anyone know what kind of saddle this is...? Cerko Horse Tack and Equipment 11 07-21-2009 08:20 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0