What kind of saddle is this?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What kind of saddle is this?

This is a discussion on What kind of saddle is this? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • What kind of saddle is crosby

LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
What kind of saddle is this?

All I know is that it's a Crosby. What I need to know is: is this saddle for general usage or jumping or dressage or what? How would this a saddle work for moving my 6yr OTSB from bareback to a saddle? I want something that she will be able to feel me well with.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg crosby.jpg (39.2 KB, 98 views)
Sponsored Links
    05-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Im not good with any saddle stuff but I guess it'd be an all-purpose or jumping
    05-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Close-contact jumping saddle.
    05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Looks like a close contact to me. Yeah, that's what it is. Well I guess you can't get much better than a close contact, as far as her feeling you goes, that's what they were made for.
    05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I believe that that saddle pictured is a close contact saddle.
It is not a dressage saddle, because their flaps are not curved and dressage saddles have a very deep seat. All-Purpose saddles have a slightly more shallow seat than the Dressage, and curved flaps with bigger knee pads than the close contact saddle, padded panels, and most of the time a round cantle.
Close contact saddles have a relatively flat seat, like saddle seats, squared cantles most of the time, forward flaps with minimal knee pads, and thin panels to feel the horse's sides.

Close contact jumping saddle:

All purpose saddle:

In my humble opinion, if you prefer for the horse to feel you go with the close contact, because your horse will be able to feel your legs much more easily than in any other saddle. But honestly, you could really go with any saddle, if they are used to you being on their back, there should not be much trouble with a saddle on their back. If anything plop the saddle on, and lunge them, and add some weight to the stirrups to get him used to the feel of the saddle. : )

Has he been ridden with a saddle before, or are you just breaking him in?
    05-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Ok, close contact. Great. I like that part.

What about the jumping part? Anyone else think it's for jumping? If so, will that throw my seat off for just flat work?

I just want her to learn go, stop, left, right, faster, slower. Nothing fancy. And DEFINITELY no jumping, though I'm sure she'd be awesome at it.
    05-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Joker -- she has only been ridden since I got her. She was trained for harness and not much at that.

She's much better at learning this spring than she was last summer when she got here! She finally has learned something about MY space! Whew! Thank goodness for steel-toed boots!

Anyway, this summer I must focus more on her because MDH wants to ride with me, so I need to get this girl in line. I mostly rode her bareback before because she was racing thin and I didn't want to buy a saddle without having some idea what her shape was going to be like. She's been pretty good with me on her. Doesn't care if I'm there, but definitely lets me know if she's confused! LOL. It's a riot when I have the energy, but some days I just don't wanna work so hard.
    05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Really, its not about the saddle you use to train the things you mentioned. If you really refine your aids a horse can feel you in a big bulky saddle just as well as a flat piece of leather. :)
Different saddles have different effects on people, so you will probably feel a difference than what you're used to. That's normal for any dramatic change of saddle. Just keep trying to find your center of balance and you'll be okay. :)
    05-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Green Broke
Close Contact saddles are always jumping saddles, for Hunters or Jumpers. You can do flat work in it, but it's not going to be as comfy or secure for flat work as an AP or Dressage saddle. I don't like a bulky saddle myself, and I have been able to find AP and Dressage saddles that fit the bill. You just have to look for one with not a lot of knee roll and not a super deep seat, like a Stubben or Passier AP.
    05-05-2009, 09:50 PM
That looks like a Crosby Prix des Nations, for sure. I had one for many years. It is a close contact saddle that can be used for flatwork or jumping, depending on how long or short you have the stirrups. I found it to be a very balanced saddle for both uses. And they last forever with good care. They are great saddles!

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of bit?!? Whiskey Lullaby Horse Tack and Equipment 12 09-03-2009 03:24 PM
What kind of saddle??? reining girl Western Riding 7 04-08-2009 12:26 AM
what kind of pessoa saddle do I have? bear2009 Horse Tack and Equipment 1 02-15-2009 01:24 PM
What kind of saddle would you recommend? SDS Horse Tack and Equipment 2 07-11-2008 07:09 AM
What kind of bit? VegasShowgirl Horse Tack and Equipment 8 01-30-2008 03:52 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0