What piece of tack is this?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What piece of tack is this?

This is a discussion on What piece of tack is this? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MangoRoX87

LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-06-2014, 09:09 PM
What piece of tack is this?

I bought a english bridle from a used tack store and with the bridle came an extra piece. I'm not very familiar with english tack, but leaning, and don't know what this is. It looks like maybe a standing martingale attachment that attaches to a breast collar? Also does anyone know what brand this might be? It has a FS stamped on it. I was thinking maybe Silver Fox, but the letters are out of order

tooth 003.jpg
tooth 001.jpg
tooth 002.jpg
Sponsored Links
    05-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Green Broke
I'm sure the FS stands for Full Size. I'm with you on the standing martingale.
Posted via Mobile Device
Golden Horse likes this.
    05-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by MangoRoX87    
I'm sure the FS stands for Full Size. I'm with you on the standing martingale.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes and Yes
    05-06-2014, 10:13 PM
I was looking up pictures of standing martingale breast collar combos and all the ones I've seen have had more holes, allowing it to be more adjustable. Why does this one only have the one hole?
    05-07-2014, 10:43 AM
It is a "square raised" standing martingale attachment that buckles to the center "D" ring at the chest of a breastplate {English}.
Being it is marked "FS" for full-size it is "aimed" at a particular sized horse group. These buckle in attachments also come in PS {pony size}, CS {cob size}, OS {over-sized} same as bridles do.
The fact it has little adjustment it may have been "custom" ordered for a particular horse possibly, although not all attachments have adjust-ability.

Sometimes where the buckle is there may be an extra hole punched to allow a small bit of extra adjustment.

Myself, when using any martingale attachment to my breastplate I put a clip, looks like a halter replacement throatlatch clip, then don't need to buckle or unbuckle...just snap the clip or remove it and done, simple and quick.

If the bridle is anything like this attachment...nice find!!

    05-07-2014, 12:10 PM
That makes sense. Sadly the bridle isn't the same quality, which is a shame because the attachment is pretty supple and nice. Although for the price I'm not complaining. I also got a English breast collar and a standing martingale for $6 a piece. I'm wondering if maybe they're the same brand? I would really like to find a brand, but can't find anything to indicate what it might be.
Posted via Mobile Device
    05-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Bridlework and leather strapping in English tack is rarely ever stamped.

Quality English saddles have name plates same as in western to identify the maker, sometimes the exact "model" is also stamped someplace on a billet protector or the sweat flap.

Quality leather though is quality leather to me.
I need not spend many hundreds for "a name"...although there are differences in leathers, a well constructed and finished piece of leather strap goods is very evident to the eye...
Quality is quality....you can see it, smell it, feel it and know craftsmanship was put into producing that nice piece of equipment.

I would not want to even guess at a manufacturer for that strap...but it is nicely made.


Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thread: What does this piece of tack do? MyFillyAspen Horse Riding 20 10-04-2013 05:19 PM
What is this piece of tack? Sera Horse Tack and Equipment 11 10-18-2012 06:42 PM
Pony/Arab dressage head piece $70 or trade for black horse sized english head piece! Gidget Tack and Equipment Classifieds 4 12-22-2010 04:01 AM
POP QUIZ! What is this piece of tack?? Equina Horse Tack and Equipment 11 09-30-2008 04:12 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0