What type of bit is this?

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What type of bit is this?

This is a discussion on What type of bit is this? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
What type of bit is this?

What type of bit is this? I think it is a Kimblewick but I'm not sure. It is missing one curb chain hook.
Sponsored Links
    01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
It is a ported D ring snaffle. Same thing, no leverage, just not the typical single-joined snaffle we all know and are used to.
    01-04-2012, 12:53 AM
No, it is a Kimblewick, or Kimberwick as we call it in the US. Just missing the slots to make it an Uxeter, which is really a shame, because it's got a curb chain but no chance for leverage.
    01-04-2012, 01:24 AM
    01-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Bubba13 is correct, it is a Kimberwick. Without the curb chain it will function like a boucher with very slight pressure on the mouth and a tiny bit of pressure on the poll under the headstall. Most horses will not react to the pressure and will feel like a mullen mouth D ring with a low port. A sensitive horse will "feel" the difference. If you were to add the second curb hook and curb chain you would have a true curb bit with slight poll and jaw pressure. It obviously has some age to it and I wouldn't be surprised if it were made of nickle and not stainless.
    01-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I used this same bit on my quarter mare I had when I was younger..it is a kimberwick..if it was a snaffle, it would be broken in the middle, not ported like the one in the pic.
    01-04-2012, 02:23 PM
A snaffle bit is a bit which has no curb (chain or strap which exerts pressure on the jaw and poll) action no matter the mouth piece. Snaffle bits can either have a straight mouth piece (mullen mouth/when covered in rubber known as a dog bone), a ported mouth piece (mullen with a raised section in the middle), a single joint or a double joint with a center piece in various shapes. In the US we have all gotten lazy and refer to any jointed bit as a snaffle. I am trying to remind people of it because I watched a lovely young rider DQ'ed at a dressage show when her "trainer" sent her in a snaffle bit which was actually a jointed Tom Thumb which is in reality a curb bit. I always refer back to the Pony Club manual (both the US version and the British Horse Society version) on my bit identification. Not intending any disrespect anywhere just offering some helpful information.

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What type of bit is this? Standardbred Horse Riding 3 12-25-2011 05:07 PM
What type of dun? lilruffian Horse Colors and Genetics 13 05-04-2011 04:39 PM
Which type of oil? kwal83 Horse Health 16 02-15-2010 08:56 AM
Pleasure type horse competing with stock type Angel_Leaguer Driving 10 11-10-2008 08:47 PM
What QH type is he? Ramble Horse Riding Critique 10 04-01-2007 09:56 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0