what type of bit is this? - The Horse Forum
  • 1 Post By waresbear
  • 1 Post By dressagebelle
  • 1 Post By tinyliny
  • 3 Post By Endiku
  • 2 Post By SEAmom
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-13-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1
• Horses: 0
what type of bit is this?

i found this bit in my trainers office and we have no clue on the name of this bit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-6.jpg (99.3 KB, 91 views)
notsogirlygirl1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,930
• Horses: 3
Looks like an old driving or harness bit to me, but I am just guessing.
Posted via Mobile Device
boots likes this.
waresbear is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 07-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nevada City
Posts: 1,613
• Horses: 2
It looks like a very strange spoon bit. Maybe an antique spoon bit with the extra rings and snaffle part for the check rein. Not sure if that's the right name, but for the "reins" that go from the bit up to the side of the browband, and back down to the harness.
boots likes this.
dressagebelle is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 41,022
• Horses: 2
Sorry, but it looks like a nightmare to me.
Clava likes this.
tinyliny is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 07-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Teen Forum Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South East Texas
Posts: 7,157
• Horses: 2
Looks like a very nice office decoration to me ;)
Clava, boots and 4hoofbeat like this.

Everyone in your life is meant to
be in your journey, but not all of
them are meant to stay till the end.
Endiku is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nevada City
Posts: 1,613
• Horses: 2
I agree Endiku, would look GREAT up on a wall with other antiques. My mom has a whole wall full of antique gardening and farm type equipment. This would go perfectly lol.
dressagebelle is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,044
• Horses: 0
It's an antique scissor driving bit. Possibly manufactured by August Buermann. The dates for it that I found varied greatly from the late 1800s to the mid-1900s. Here are a couple more pictures of it that I found:

toto and notsogirlygirl1 like this.

The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~Arabian Proverb

Last edited by SEAmom; 07-13-2013 at 09:34 PM.
SEAmom is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 25
• Horses: 0
Hi all...
This is a JIC (or Jay-Eye-See) bit. It's a pretty common bit, though a strange looking thing. They were sold, among other places, via the old Sears-Roebuck catalog. I'm guessing I have one for sale if anyone is interested.

I've heard the bit was associated with J.I. Case (of farm implement fame) who, I guess, also owned a famous trotting horse back in the day named...Jay Eye See!

Here's an ad for the bit (not sure where it appeared):

jimbits is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 07-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,220
• Horses: 5
That's awesome ... I LOVE old bits and contraptions that were used on horses...

Very unique..
texasgal is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What type of bit is this? Standardbred Horse Tack and Equipment 6 01-04-2012 01:23 PM
A BIT Stuck: What type of bit should I go with? horsecraze Horse Tack and Equipment 5 07-07-2010 12:51 PM
What type of bit? secretmolly Gaited Horses 5 06-28-2010 05:37 PM
What type of bit horsegirlmaddy Horse Tack and Equipment 2 04-30-2010 01:06 PM
Type of Bit!!!!!!!! Need help! Whitedresswind Horse Training 16 07-22-2007 04:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome