What Type of Bit is This??

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

What Type of Bit is This??

This is a discussion on What Type of Bit is This?? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Types of horse bits
  • What are the bits for horses called that have a roller that sounds like a crickett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Question What Type of Bit is This??

Could anyone tell me what kind of bit this is? I am thinking it is a correction bit im not sure. It has a copper roller in the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0426.jpg (24.3 KB, 147 views)
Sponsored Links
    01-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Looks like a correction bit with a copper cricket.
    01-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Thats what I was thinking but I wasnt really sure. I bought it at a flea market for like 5 bucks. I just couldnt pass it up. Considering the prices I've seen on some of the bits I have been looking at.
    01-16-2011, 02:14 AM
This might be a silly question, but what exactly is a correction bit? Does something in particular make it a correction bit?

I'm not good at naming bits but something similar I've seen was called a ported curb bit with a roller.
    01-16-2011, 04:08 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that on a correctional mouthpiece, the part of the mouthpiece that would contact the bars etc. had to move independanty of the port. Like this: Google Image Result for http://www.chicksaddlery.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/257333.JPG
Does what I'm saying make sense?

That bit looks like a high port curb bit with a roller to me.
    01-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Green Broke
It doesn't look high enough or jointed at the port to be a correction bit.

It would be considered a "loose shank" bit. It looks like a fancy version of a "quick bit."
    01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't know much about the different kinds of bits and what they are used for. What would this bit be used for?
    01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by DieselPony    
I'm not good at naming bits but something similar I've seen was called a ported curb bit with a roller.
Sounds like the best description.

People/companies that name their bits "correction" or "fix" are misnaming their product.

It isn't a bit that "fixes" the problems created by the rider but the education of that rider in HOW to ride.
    01-16-2011, 04:26 PM
So a correction bit is pretty much just a different marketing term? "Like your horse isn't stopping? Here! We have the answer!"

I've always been told that higher ports are even harsher on a horses mouth, lots of ports kind of scare me.
Then the port being independent of the rest gives it some sort of delay then before it moves up when pressure is applied on the reins right?
    01-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Would a ported bit do the same job as a correction bit?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What type of bit should I use Dock Horse Tack and Equipment 3 07-10-2010 08:23 PM
What type of bit horsegirlmaddy Horse Tack and Equipment 2 04-30-2010 01:06 PM
Which type of oil? kwal83 Horse Health 16 02-15-2010 07:56 AM
Pleasure type horse competing with stock type Angel_Leaguer Driving 10 11-10-2008 07:47 PM
What QH type is he? Ramble Horse Riding Critique 10 04-01-2007 08:56 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0