Why does this saddle not fit me? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Why does this saddle not fit me?

This is a discussion on Why does this saddle not fit me? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Horsezone thorowgood saddles

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-30-2013, 05:50 PM
  #11
Trained
Hmmmm, that looks like it might fit my leg nicely. Is it wool flocked? I've fallen for this "should be jumping in a close contact" thing so many times, I'm beginning to think I'm incapable of learning. I hate hate hate them. I like more bulk down there. I might take a look at that.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-31-2013, 09:23 AM
  #12
Weanling
Sounds like your problem with the T8 jump is that the flaps are simply not forward enough for you. The GP might not be, either, but it allows you to ride with a longer stirrup, and that changes the angle of your thigh and makes it not go off the flap.

Or, perhaps the GP does have enough forwardness.

But that cc just looks not forward enough for a long thigh + short stirrup, to me. If you are riding a small seat size, they might not have allowed enough flap for your leg. I found this photo online, and it looks like the flaps are, um, inadequate, lol.
http://www.hastilowusa.com/saddles/t...d-t8-jump.html



This one, not much better, but might be larger seat size. http://horsezone.com.au/category/277...ng-Saddle.html
[img][/img]
     
    03-31-2013, 11:00 AM
  #13
Yearling
Sorry, but how can you judge the cut from those pictures? They're both pommel-down :(
     
    03-31-2013, 11:31 AM
  #14
Weanling
Just drop a vertical line down from the nailhead or the front edge of the pommel, and eyeball how much flap is sticking out in front. That can be assessed pommel-upside-down, lol. The first pic looks like a small seat size with not enough flap. The second one appears to be a larger seat size with more flap out in front. The cc's shorter stirrup will hike the rider's knee up at closer to a 90 degree angle than the GP's longer stirrup and straighter flap will.

A tall rider w/ a short stirrup needs
or
Not


Leg going off the flap = not enough flap. What else can it be.

(None of those saddles are Thorowgood. Picked them for flap illustration purposes.)
     
    03-31-2013, 01:15 PM
  #15
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack Collector    
Just drop a vertical line down from the nailhead or the front edge of the pommel, and eyeball how much flap is sticking out in front. That can be assessed pommel-upside-down, lol. The first pic looks like a small seat size with not enough flap. The second one appears to be a larger seat size with more flap out in front. The cc's shorter stirrup will hike the rider's knee up at closer to a 90 degree angle than the GP's longer stirrup and straighter flap will.

A tall rider w/ a short stirrup needs
or
Not


Leg going off the flap = not enough flap. What else can it be.

(None of those saddles are Thorowgood. Picked them for flap illustration purposes.)
Er...you can't drop a vertical line in the way you suggest unless the saddle's level to begin with, which was actually my point.

And leg going off flap - imagine the saddle out of balance front-to-rear so the pommel sits too low. The rider automatically re-balances himself (in most cases) by sitting back, usually pushing the legs forward to compensate. This is by far the commonest reason for legs going over the front of the flap and happens with all saddle types.

See what I mean?
     
    03-31-2013, 05:59 PM
  #16
Started
I have long legs, and I took a HUGE chance on my Tecniq. From the pics, I GUESSED the flap would be enough for me. I guessed correctly!!! The flap is JUST long enough, I don't have much room to spare, but I'm not growing anymore so, I'm cool with it.

It's soooo comfy! And this is coming from a life-long western rider. I find it sits me pretty nicely, and fits my horse pretty good, all I need is a front riser pad!

There's one that's been on HorseClicks for a while now, I wonder if it's still for sale...?

Heres a picture of my beauty.


     
    03-31-2013, 06:05 PM
  #17
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by QHriderKE    
and fits my horse pretty good, all I need is a front riser pad!

See - balance problems again
     
    03-31-2013, 06:08 PM
  #18
Started
^^ Haha just on this horse, I want to try it out on some of my other critters, but that means changing the gullet plate, and I don't wanna!
     
    04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
  #19
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur    
Er...you can't drop a vertical line in the way you suggest unless the saddle's level to begin with, which was actually my point.

And leg going off flap - imagine the saddle out of balance front-to-rear so the pommel sits too low. The rider automatically re-balances himself (in most cases) by sitting back, usually pushing the legs forward to compensate. This is by far the commonest reason for legs going over the front of the flap and happens with all saddle types.

See what I mean?
Let me clarify: The "vertical" would, indeed, be vertical IF the saddle were sitting perfectly level. But it it's not, I, maybe not you, can still look at the saddle tilted or upside down and gauge that angle that rider's thigh should be, where the saddle wants the rider's thigh to lie on the saddle flap, and there the stirrup leather should be hanging, if the saddle were sitting level and the leather is hanging straight down.

I get what you are saying about balance. But the real issue is the saddle that does not fit either the horse or the rider ideally. The seat tilts one way or the other due to poor fit on the horse. The rider's knees go off the flaps because there is not enough flap for that length of thigh, when the thigh is where the saddle wants it positioned.

The issue, as the photos show, is that people are using saddles that just do not have a forward enough flap. They can possibly get by with it if the saddle sits just exactly right. Or it it tilts backward, lol. Or, they lengthen their stirrups to ride a straighter flap (dressage rides a longer stirrup than cc. Saddleseat does, too.)

Buying a larger seat size to get more flap may or may not work. If the longer seat results in a seat dip to stirrup leather length that's too long for the rider, then the saddle will chair-seat the rider.

Buy the tree that fits the horse, and the flap forwardness and flap length and stirrup bar placement that fit the rider.
     
    04-02-2013, 11:23 PM
  #20
Trained
Well that's bizarre. Both claim to be Thorowgood T8 jump saddles and are obviously very different. I'd happily take the one on the bottom. That would fit me very nicely. The one I got is the first one you posted. I've already sent it back. I located a GP version and am trying that one out to see if it will work over smaller fences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack Collector    
Sounds like your problem with the T8 jump is that the flaps are simply not forward enough for you. The GP might not be, either, but it allows you to ride with a longer stirrup, and that changes the angle of your thigh and makes it not go off the flap.

Or, perhaps the GP does have enough forwardness.

But that cc just looks not forward enough for a long thigh + short stirrup, to me. If you are riding a small seat size, they might not have allowed enough flap for your leg. I found this photo online, and it looks like the flaps are, um, inadequate, lol.
Saddles :: Thorowgood Saddles :: Thorowgood T8 Jump - Hastilow Competition Saddles, USA



This one, not much better, but might be larger seat size. Thorowgood T8 Showjumping Saddle - Jumping - Horsezone
[img][/img]
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New saddle: Does it fit HER and does it fit ME? poultrygirl English Riding 28 03-18-2012 04:22 AM
Saddle fit....a question in regards to a saddle that "technically" doesn't fit.... Cinnys Whinny Horse Tack and Equipment 11 07-13-2011 01:50 PM
Saddle pads / saddle fit - question Lonannuniel Horse Tack and Equipment 2 01-31-2011 06:27 PM
Will my fat horse fit the new saddle when she gets fit? dynamite. Horse Tack and Equipment 1 04-20-2009 07:38 PM
theraputic saddle pad? Also saddle fit pictures SonnyWimps Horse Tack and Equipment 5 05-01-2008 05:00 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0