Your opinion on a certain bit..? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack and Equipment

Your opinion on a certain bit..?

This is a discussion on Your opinion on a certain bit..? within the Horse Tack and Equipment forums, part of the Horse Tack category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-19-2009, 07:42 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    What is the purpose of this bit? Sorry for hi-jacking the thread...
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
      #12
    Foal
    I have tried almost all bits and yes this bit is very very severe. I HAVE to use this bit on my horse when riding on the beach. She loves to run and I love to let her... but unless I have a severe bit on she pushes right through my commands... and its only on the beach.. everywhere else I use straight bar and she is perfect. So unless your horse needs something really severe because he won't listen I wouldn't recommend this bit.
         
        04-19-2009, 08:28 PM
      #13
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrazyChester    
    What is the purpose of this bit? Sorry for hi-jacking the thread...
    No worries. :) The purpose of this bit is to inflict pain on a horse's mouth with the double nutcracker effect, coupled with small diamater twisted wire with sharp edges. It also has the possibility of REALLY pinching a horse's tongue between the 2 mouthpieces. It causes pain even when used by the lightest hands and is mainly used on horses that ignore other bits (instead of working on training). The fact that the joints are in different positions on the bit make it less forgiving and gives it quicker action when pressure is applied.
         
        04-19-2009, 11:23 PM
      #14
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    No worries. :) The purpose of this bit is to inflict pain on a horse's mouth with the double nutcracker effect, coupled with small diamater twisted wire with sharp edges. It also has the possibility of REALLY pinching a horse's tongue between the 2 mouthpieces. It causes pain even when used by the lightest hands and is mainly used on horses that ignore other bits (instead of working on training). The fact that the joints are in different positions on the bit make it less forgiving and gives it quicker action when pressure is applied.
    Ouch! Thankyou for that. I guess some people are to lazy to re-train there horse so they just put a stronger bit in there mouth hoping it will help

    Thanks again!
         
        04-20-2009, 01:26 AM
      #15
    Foal
    I just want to say to all the people that have a hate for the people who use this bit that we are not lazy and it has nothing to do with re-training our horses. My horse is trained to the fullest. We have won multiple rodeos, playdays, and she can do anything that any other horse can do. She is a perfect horse to ride. She just gets way overexcited at the beach and to me that is fine. That is her playground and she can run all she wants, but no bit will slow her down.. she wieghs a whopping 1300 lbs so she isn't the smallest thing. This bit is very severe and I wouldn't use it otherwise. I just don't like everyone saying that we are lazy because we use this bit. I am keeping myself and everyone else safe.
         
        04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
      #16
    Showing
    Good post, smrobs - exactly what I was going to say.

    My bucket analogy goes really well with this bit.
         
        04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Countrygal892000    
    I just want to say to all the people that have a hate for the people who use this bit that we are not lazy and it has nothing to do with re-training our horses. My horse is trained to the fullest. We have won multiple rodeos, playdays, and she can do anything that any other horse can do. She is a perfect horse to ride. She just gets way overexcited at the beach and to me that is fine. That is her playground and she can run all she wants, but no bit will slow her down.. she wieghs a whopping 1300 lbs so she isn't the smallest thing. This bit is very severe and I wouldn't use it otherwise. I just don't like everyone saying that we are lazy because we use this bit. I am keeping myself and everyone else safe.
    I was calling the people that use the bit all the time lazy. Sorry I should have explained that in my post.
         
        04-20-2009, 06:12 PM
      #18
    Weanling
    Don't like it its very severe.
         
        04-20-2009, 08:14 PM
      #19
    Trained
    Quote:
    Good post, smrobs - exactly what I was going to say.

    My bucket analogy goes really well with this bit.


    Your bucket analogy? Pray, do tell :]
         
        04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
      #20
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wild_spot    

    Your bucket analogy? Pray, do tell :]
    Sure! Only works with snaffles so far, can't seem to make it right for curbs yet.

    one way to understand how a bit works in a horse's mouth is to think of picking up a bucket of water with a bit.
    Single jointed snaffles will break in the middle, creating pressure on the outside of your hands.
    Double jointed bits will give a more overall pressure, distributing quite evenly.
    Twisted wires will dig into the flesh of your hand, and be quite painful.
    Double twisted offset wires like the one in the OP will hurt a lot, as the offset wires create uneven pressure on both sides of your hands and the wire will dig in.
         

    Tags
    bit, horse, opinions, snaffle, twisted

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Anyone have an opinion on this? sagerider Horse Health 4 01-26-2009 11:55 PM
    Opinion please! wild_spot Horse Riding Critique 11 01-06-2009 01:25 PM
    In your opinion...... xoLivxo Horse Videos 13 06-11-2008 10:49 PM
    What is your opinion on this? SonnyWimps Horse Tack and Equipment 8 04-04-2008 03:23 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0