Collegiate vs. Bates?? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack Reviews

Collegiate vs. Bates??

This is a discussion on Collegiate vs. Bates?? within the Horse Tack Reviews forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Bates caprilli cc reviews
  • Collegiate or bates?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-31-2012, 05:57 PM
  #11
Yearling
Thank you both very much! :) I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Bates Caprilli CC. I've actually got one set up, and I'm ready to buy it! Thank you for your input everyone, it is much appreciated!! :)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-03-2013, 02:31 PM
  #12
Foal
Smile Collegiate Fan

I tried both Bates and Collegiate and found the Collegiate to fit me and my 2 horses better. I have a 4 yo TB who still has a pretty flat back and a 15 yo Nakota whose back is not that straight anymore.
I'm a Collegiate fan!!
     
    02-27-2013, 05:22 AM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymckate    
I debated between these same two brands this past summer, and I ended up getting a Bates Elevation because I heard they tended to have straighter trees, and Finn is VERY straight-backed.

Overall, I do like my saddle and it's very comfortable for me to ride in, but it's not the perfect one. Will you be using this saddle on Cowboy? If so, are his withers pretty standard TB withers? Finn has those typical giant withers, and there just is not enough clearance on my saddle for my peace of mind. Now, it's not horrible, otherwise I wouldn't be using it, but it's definitely not perfect. I plan on eventually selling this saddle and getting one that is better-suited to my horse.

So that's my experience with Bates! I will say--have you looked at Marcel Toulouse at all? I was in Dover Saddlery about a month ago and was comparing a Bates saddle to a Toulouse for a friend who was looking at both brands. They were comparably priced, but the Toulouse really impressed me. I've never ridden in one before, but I would really love to try!
i own a MT and I LOVEEEEE it! I bought mine on closeout through dover catalog for $800 used but it was pretty much brand new-didnt have a single scratch on it and still had tags and all. (they sell demo saddles on there and are usually in very good condition). I have the prima style and a friend of mine bought the annice. They are both very comfortable to ride in and don't need any breaking in time at all. The leather is super soft and easy to clean. The prima has adjustable knee blocks but I took mine off because I hate knee blocks. I have a wide tree and it fits my 22 yr TB gelding who has the typical old man high withers. I would so recommend this saddle to anyone!!!
     
    02-27-2013, 05:46 AM
  #14
Trained
I just bought a Collegiate Convertible, LOVE, LOVE it! I have only ridden in a Bates, sorry don't know which model, once, it was a nice saddle as well. My daughter has the Bates, she likes it, but she hasn't tried mine out yet, so we will see.
     
    02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
  #15
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiairvin    
i own a MT and I LOVEEEEE it! I bought mine on closeout through dover catalog for $800 used but it was pretty much brand new-didnt have a single scratch on it and still had tags and all. (they sell demo saddles on there and are usually in very good condition). I have the prima style and a friend of mine bought the annice. They are both very comfortable to ride in and don't need any breaking in time at all. The leather is super soft and easy to clean. The prima has adjustable knee blocks but I took mine off because I hate knee blocks. I have a wide tree and it fits my 22 yr TB gelding who has the typical old man high withers. I would so recommend this saddle to anyone!!!
I actually ended up selling my Bates saddle a couple months ago--in the end, it just wasn't doing it for me or my horse. I tried the MT Premia, and I liked it but didn't love it on my TB. However, I just a few weeks ago got in the MT Laura B with the Genesis system. I had to buy a Thinline pad with shims for the time being because my horse is building his topline still, and unfortunately I can't afford to buy a new saddle every time his shape changes! But with that pad and the Genesis system, the new saddle fits like a glove. I love it! I've been really impressed with M. Toulouse, and through recommendations on here I bought my saddle from Classic Saddlery. They were amazing too! :)
     
    02-27-2013, 09:12 PM
  #16
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymckate    
I actually ended up selling my Bates saddle a couple months ago--in the end, it just wasn't doing it for me or my horse. I tried the MT Premia, and I liked it but didn't love it on my TB. However, I just a few weeks ago got in the MT Laura B with the Genesis system.
WOW, it's funny you say that!! I actually ended up buying a M. Toulouse Laura B as well!!! Lol, the MT was recommended by my trainer, and I feel in love with the Larua B's look and feel as soon as I sat in it. I'm adoring it!
     
    02-27-2013, 09:50 PM
  #17
Super Moderator
I had a collegiate that I got used that held up really really well for many years. It was comfortable and even fit most horses. The next saddle I got was an HDR, I thought it was slippery and not very comfortable. I ended up trading that one in on an M. Toullouse, that was by far my most favorite saddle. Super comfortable and really pretty. I had to sell it though because it did not fit my horse. They now have an adjusteable version but my horse is really wide in the shoulder so I couldn't get it to fit.

I ended up with the Bates Next Generation and I do like it, it is comfortable, and really pretty. I think it may even hold up better than the Toullouse in the long run but I don't think it's as comfy.
     
    02-27-2013, 11:36 PM
  #18
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJumperx    
WOW, it's funny you say that!! I actually ended up buying a M. Toulouse Laura B as well!!! Lol, the MT was recommended by my trainer, and I feel in love with the Larua B's look and feel as soon as I sat in it. I'm adoring it!
That's too funny!! I LOVE it! I haven't been able to jump much in it yet (I get a new saddle, and the weather gets awful... figures!), but it's super comfortable! How does yours fit Cowboy? Like I said, Finn is such a weird shape that I needed to get the Thinline pad for the time being. But it fits my "foster child" (3yo OTTB filly) like a champ!
     
    03-04-2013, 10:04 PM
  #19
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymckate    
That's too funny!! I LOVE it! I haven't been able to jump much in it yet (I get a new saddle, and the weather gets awful... figures!), but it's super comfortable! How does yours fit Cowboy? Like I said, Finn is such a weird shape that I needed to get the Thinline pad for the time being. But it fits my "foster child" (3yo OTTB filly) like a champ!
Oh, that stinks!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! It's great to jump in, really helps my leg stay nice and stable. It its Cowboy extremely well, I'm super happy with it :) I love how the leather has that sweet spot - it's soft, but not so soft every little tiny thing scratches it.
     

Tags
bates, collegiate, saddle shopping

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for 16" Bates CC or Collegiate Diploma CC SionTheMonster Horse Tack and Equipment 3 04-11-2012 10:30 AM
WTB: Collegiate convertible or bates xchange horseluver250 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 04-17-2011 07:34 PM
Saddle wanted!! Wintec, collegiate, bates, PF, or toulouse QHDragon Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 01-26-2011 10:52 AM
Collegiate Diploma vs Collegiate Post Graduate QHDragon Horse Tack and Equipment 1 01-25-2011 05:05 PM
The New Bates Isabell HKM FARM Horse Tack and Equipment 1 01-01-2011 07:41 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0