Fitting CAIR saddle on downhill horse
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack Reviews

Fitting CAIR saddle on downhill horse

This is a discussion on Fitting CAIR saddle on downhill horse within the Horse Tack Reviews forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Fitting cair saddle
  • Cair saddle review

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-21-2012, 05:45 PM
  #1
Weanling
Question Fitting CAIR saddle on downhill horse

My pony mare is a little bit downhil (i am not english native speaker. I mean she has her butt higher than her whithers). I have just bought a Wintec 500 VSD saddle for her. On CAIR official site, there is instruciton hat this saddle have to be fitted with the rider in, unfortunately I didnt have anyone with me. Even when I mounted, I could put all my hand under the pommel-it had a good whither clearance. I think it was quite balanced. We rode for a short trail, to try all walk, trot and canter. She wa moving very well, even though she had her mare days and she is usually very lazy in these days. She was even on the bit in trot, which she doesnt do very often, or it demands some work with her. She seemed relaxed to me. But I think the saddle rear part was lifting a little bit in posting in trot. Maybe a little bit narrower gullet would help? I measured her some time ago with the wintec measurer and she was blue-medium/wide. The gullet in the saddle is red - wide. But when I put the gullet on her back without the saddle, it was even with her whithers.

It seems to be that the center of the seat should be little bit more in the centre. (more backwards). What should I do with that?


     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-23-2012, 10:20 AM
  #2
Green Broke
Can't see pictures but from what I've read the CAIR system will bounce a bit, but is actually comfortable for the horse. So that might be what you are describing. It's why I went with flocked with my Wintec.
     
    07-23-2012, 10:23 AM
  #3
Weanling
     
    07-23-2012, 10:49 AM
  #4
Green Broke
I would not move that saddle back any farther. It's hard to tell with the pad in the way but it should sit about 2-3 finger widths behind the shoulder. You do not want to have your weight to far back.
     
    07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy1356    
I would not move that saddle back any farther. It's hard to tell with the pad in the way but it should sit about 2-3 finger widths behind the shoulder. You do not want to have your weight to far back.
I am actually thinking to put it a little bit more forward. This was the first time in this saddle, we have to find out whats the best :)
     
    07-24-2012, 06:05 PM
  #6
Green Broke
That fly mask is awesome
     
    07-27-2012, 09:19 AM
  #7
Weanling
I see what you mean - the cantle does seem to sit very high, and the pommel low. Try putting a riser pad, or else just a folded piece of cloth under the front of the saddle to lift it, that might make it sit better. *Not a professional saddler*, but I have had to do that with downhill highland ponies before to lift the front of the saddle. That saddle definitely looks like it's going to be pushing your weight forward and out of balance - maybe try a medium-wide gullet just to see whether it sits better. Also, if you loosen your crupper one hole it might sit in a better place.
     
    07-27-2012, 01:24 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by minstrel    
I see what you mean - the cantle does seem to sit very high, and the pommel low. Try putting a riser pad, or else just a folded piece of cloth under the front of the saddle to lift it, that might make it sit better. *Not a professional saddler*, but I have had to do that with downhill highland ponies before to lift the front of the saddle. That saddle definitely looks like it's going to be pushing your weight forward and out of balance - maybe try a medium-wide gullet just to see whether it sits better. Also, if you loosen your crupper one hole it might sit in a better place.
yes, you think I will try some riser now. In a week my medium wide gullet should arrive. If I loosen the girth, I am afraid it wilk slide forward...
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-27-2012, 02:22 PM
  #9
Trained
The new gullet should help. My technique for saddle placement is to put it on the back with the cinch/girth barely holding it on, and then walk my horse thru a couple of figure 8s. That gives the saddle a chance to find where gravity, the horse's back & the horse's shoulders want it to be, and that is where I tighten it down.

Think of two spoons put together. If you have to tie them in place, your spoons don't match. So if that puts the saddle in an odd position - way far back or way forward - then I'd assume the saddle isn't acceptable for the horse.

May or may not be a good technique. Seems to work for me.
     
    07-27-2012, 02:33 PM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms    
The new gullet should help. My technique for saddle placement is to put it on the back with the cinch/girth barely holding it on, and then walk my horse thru a couple of figure 8s. That gives the saddle a chance to find where gravity, the horse's back & the horse's shoulders want it to be, and that is where I tighten it down.

Think of two spoons put together. If you have to tie them in place, your spoons don't match. So if that puts the saddle in an odd position - way far back or way forward - then I'd assume the saddle isn't acceptable for the horse.

May or may not be a good technique. Seems to work for me.
Well, the problem is, that she is very thin right behind her front legs, and then becomes her belly very fat, its not that visible in these pivs, its better on pics tken from her front side... So when I tighten the saddle, it goes to a place, where the pressure of girth is smaller-to forward... :(I use a crupper with all saddles.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
western saddle fitting over withers ,under weight horse chadrodeo05 Horse Tack and Equipment 12 07-31-2011 06:45 AM
Fitting saddle to an obese mutton withered horse. ohmyitschelle Horse Tack and Equipment 12 04-12-2011 08:53 AM
best saddle pad to use with Wintec CAIR panels? ArabianAllie Horse Tack and Equipment 1 12-29-2010 05:32 PM
Fitting a western saddle on a horse with HUGE shoulders... CloudsMystique Horse Tack and Equipment 7 09-29-2010 11:33 AM
Fitting a saddle to a horse and rider StatedOtherwise Horse Tack and Equipment 0 02-12-2008 07:43 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0