Information on saddle brands - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack Reviews

Information on saddle brands

This is a discussion on Information on saddle brands within the Horse Tack Reviews forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • Riding house saddles?
  • Saddle reviews from riding house

Like Tree13Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-27-2012, 05:52 PM
  #11
Showing
Born2ride, the starter packages are pure junk and you are wasting your money. If you only have $100 for a saddle, then you really need to wait until you can save more money for a decent used saddle. Don't be in a rush to ride English if you really can't afford to do it properly - for your sake and especially for the sake of your horse.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-27-2012, 05:52 PM
  #12
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftXDressage    
I would wait until you can afford a decent quality used saddle. The cheapy "starter package" type saddles aren't even worth their absurdly low prices.
Well since im going to be getting my own horse to pratice on in between lessons, I have to have my own saddle to ride in.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses    
Born2ride, the starter packages are pure junk and you are wasting your money. If you only have $100 for a saddle, then you really need to wait until you can save more money for a decent used saddle. Don't be in a rush to ride English if you really can't afford to do it properly - for your sake and especially for the sake of your horse.
Im not exactly sure why everybody is against starting out with a cheaper saddle?? Im not looking to go pro here or anything, just need something to use to pratice riding at my house. I don't know many people who start out with a 300-500 saddle, not around where I live anyways. I'll have to talk to my instructor and see what she thinks.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
  #14
Weanling
Wintec is a good starting brand and has a changeable gullet. The resale tends to still be pricey because they withstand anything, but if you watch Craigslist and ebay you can find them closer to your budget.
     
    02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
  #15
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by livestoride    
Wintec is a good starting brand and has a changeable gullet. The resale tends to still be pricey because they withstand anything, but if you watch Craigslist and ebay you can find them closer to your budget.
I watch Ebay and Craigslist daily, i've also been browsing Tacktrader, which is how I found the Derby Original.
     
    02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
  #16
Yearling
You can ride "english" in a western saddle. Or vice versa. I could ride dressage in western tack and a snaffle with a headstall made of baling twine. In fact, I used to practice my 2nd Level dressage tests on a western pleasure QH gelding with all of his western tack.

I'll go look around on Ebay for some saddle, but I will agree that your budget is limiting. I personally just would hate to sacrifice quality and the comfort of my horse for price. What seat and tree size do you need?
DraftXDressage likes this.
     
    02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
  #17
Yearling
The problem with cheap foreign saddles is they often don't fit the horse at all well. You then end up with an uncomfortable horse; not the best way to begin a new partnership. Especially because if the horse objects to the saddle this is often mistaken as 'temperament'. The horse then gets punished, increasing both its confusion and discomfort and you are at the beginning of a vicious cycle of pain and resistance.

If you can find a cheap saddle that fits both the horse and you well, then that's fine. But they are rare beasts.
IslandWave and mildot like this.
     
    02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
  #18
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandWave    
You can ride "english" in a western saddle. Or vice versa. I could ride dressage in western tack and a snaffle with a headstall made of baling twine. In fact, I used to practice my 2nd Level dressage tests on a western pleasure QH gelding with all of his western tack.

I'll go look around on Ebay for some saddle, but I will agree that your budget is limiting. I personally just would hate to sacrifice quality and the comfort of my horse for price. What seat and tree size do you need?
17" seat and a regular tree, i'm looking at a tb right now, so I will ask the owner what kind of saddle she's ride him in. I've seen several on ebay for bid, but i'm not to familiar with brand names. I think there was a thorowgood, i've heard that brand name before, but not sure if there a nice saddle.
     
    02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
  #19
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Ride    
17" seat and a regular tree, i'm looking at a tb right now, so I will ask the owner what kind of saddle she's ride him in. I've seen several on ebay for bid, but i'm not to familiar with brand names. I think there was a thorowgood, i've heard that brand name before, but not sure if there a nice saddle.
Take a look at Horse Tack Review.com - Reviews of horse tack and rider supplies! for saddle reviews.

Older Dressage saddle. Still has alot of miles left!! | eBay

BATES WINTEC black saddle 17 1/2" | eBay

Older Wintec Pro dressage saddle, size 17 with MW and M gullets | eBay

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

CROSBY PRIX DES NATION SADDLE 16.5M ~EXCELLE PAD LEATHER+ IRONS ~ NO RESERVE | eBay

Dressage Saddle | eBay

Just a quick search. All will be better choices than a starter saddle.
     
    02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
  #20
Foal
I like the crosby and bates, but idk if the crosby will fit me.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Saddle Brands Lauradod Horse Tack and Equipment 4 11-30-2011 09:38 PM
Saddle Brands Southern Belle Horse Tack and Equipment 9 10-31-2011 05:34 PM
$650-800 budget for saddle. Best brands to look for? BarrelWannabe Barrel Racing 34 07-18-2011 07:35 PM
Saddle Brands - please, help! kitten_Val Horse Tack and Equipment 8 11-10-2009 08:28 AM
Top Saddle Brands Moxie Horse Tack and Equipment 1 11-03-2008 10:17 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0