Myler Combination Bit
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Tack > Horse Tack Reviews

Myler Combination Bit

This is a discussion on Myler Combination Bit within the Horse Tack Reviews forums, part of the Horse Tack category
  • How to hold reins with myla combo bit
  • Reviews myler 3 ring bit

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-29-2013, 11:51 AM
  #1
Yearling
Myler Combination Bit

I felt like I NEEDED to do this review since I've never had such a great response to a bit before.

I'll fill you in on background on my horse. He pulls, leans on the bit, resists down transitions, rushes jumps and sometimes gets "hot" purely because of working in a bit. With some bits, he takes advantage of the softness. So, I decided to buy this bit and give it a little try.

In the first 10 minutes of using it, I was riding a completely different horse. I didn't have to use strong down transition aids since he was soft as butter. I could just close my hands on the reins, and he would give to the pressure and slow down. He was so calm and accepted the bit so well. He was giving to the smallest amounts of pressure, and would give any part of his body to my cues. What surprised me the most is his walk. I have struggled to get him to stretch his neck down and relax for a free walk. As soon as I loosened my reins he stretched his neck down to his knees and was so relaxed. I have never gotten my half-arab to do this!

I think the best part of this bit is how he now respects his dressage snaffle which has 2 breaks in it and is thick. The day after the ride in the Myler Combination Bit, I rode him in his regular bit. He was ASTOUNDING. He gave so easily, and was very willing to slow down and stop for me. It usually would take 15ft to stop from a trot, and now it takes 5ft. He acts totally different now!

I highly recommended the Myler Combination Bit to anyone that has a horse that needs a refresher course on how to give to pressure and the bit. Even though this bit is a tad pricey at around $150, it is definitely worth it. It transformed my horse in a matter of one practice.
KigerQueen likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-29-2013, 01:48 PM
  #2
Foal
Which combo do you have? 3 or 2 ring? And what mouthpiece?
     
    08-29-2013, 02:34 PM
  #3
Started
I remember when they first came out and they called them gag bits. Most people didn't understand them and got hung up on the "gag" part and dismissed them as just a training gimmick. I've got to say, I've been sold on them from the get go. Having a cart horse go from literally pulling your arms out of your shoulders to a nice strong working contact was amazing. I've tried different mouthpieces (01, 04, 32) and handsdown the 04 is the best one for me. I had a custom 6" made for my drafts and use it as a driving bit. (no restrictions on driving bits for drafts). I use an 04 when I start mine undersaddle as well. Best tool in my bag of tricks.
     
    08-29-2013, 02:44 PM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRacer724    
Which combo do you have? 3 or 2 ring? And what mouthpiece?
I have the 3 ring, just for the extra options, but I use the ring attached to the mouthpiece. I got the 04 mouthpiece.
     
    08-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons    
I remember when they first came out and they called them gag bits. Most people didn't understand them and got hung up on the "gag" part and dismissed them as just a training gimmick. I've got to say, I've been sold on them from the get go. Having a cart horse go from literally pulling your arms out of your shoulders to a nice strong working contact was amazing. I've tried different mouthpieces (01, 04, 32) and handsdown the 04 is the best one for me. I had a custom 6" made for my drafts and use it as a driving bit. (no restrictions on driving bits for drafts). I use an 04 when I start mine undersaddle as well. Best tool in my bag of tricks.
I used mine at a team practice and all the coaches were staring at it and saying "how strong of a bit it is" and I realistically don't think so. I tried explaining what it does and all they said is "that's a lot of bit". The gag part isn't even that much compared to, what I think is called, "the wonder bit".

I used the bit on our huge QH who doesn't listen to bits at all, and he was flawless. He was soft, and listened to my hands for a change. I used to use a huge ported bit on him for showing, and now he is down to this.
     
    08-29-2013, 03:51 PM
  #6
Foal
Just wondering (: I rented out two loose ring Mylers not too long ago to try out the mouthpieces, I tried the 01 and the 02 as I am retraining my gelding and he needs very clear signals. I would love to get the 03 mouthpiece on a 3 ring combo but they don't make them! I definitely saw a huge difference in his attitude when we got working in the 02.
     
    08-29-2013, 06:06 PM
  #7
Started
How much do they cost? My Arab feels that anything faster than a walk is a head-in-your-face required gait. I try to stop her in a snaffle and all I can see is the back of her head (she likes to look at the sky too when we stop). She is better in a tom thumb but it still takes forever to stop. She knows how to stop, she has done a sliding stop before (we needed to stop as a car came speeding down the rd at 100 mph and we where about to cross the rd) but wont do it when I ask her too (I don't want a sliding stop, I just want her to stop! Lol).
     
    08-29-2013, 09:32 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by KigerQueen    
How much do they cost? My Arab feels that anything faster than a walk is a head-in-your-face required gait. I try to stop her in a snaffle and all I can see is the back of her head (she likes to look at the sky too when we stop). She is better in a tom thumb but it still takes forever to stop. She knows how to stop, she has done a sliding stop before (we needed to stop as a car came speeding down the rd at 100 mph and we where about to cross the rd) but wont do it when I ask her too (I don't want a sliding stop, I just want her to stop! Lol).
Mine cost $150 from a local tack store, but I have seen them online for $130. They are well worth the money though. I seen online a place where you could rent them too
     
    08-29-2013, 10:05 PM
  #9
Green Broke
I would love to try the Myler combo on my 3 yr old gelding. He does "okay" in a bit and pretty decent in a mechanical hackamore (not my first choice but he neck reins in it) and I'm thinking that the combo bit would be the best of both worlds! It's just too bad I'm not made of money.

I guess what I'm posting about is the mouthpiece. It seems pretty unanamous that the 04 is a good mouthpiece. Has anyone used a #36 titled port on a young horse before? His momma rides great in that and I have been thinking of trying him with it. My favorite Myler is the #33 but I don't think that is meant for colts. I still might try him in it just because I have one, but I think you are supposed to work up to total tongue relief. I guess I am just curious about other Myler fan's opinions of the 04 mouthpiece compared to the ones I have tried.....the 36 and the 33. Oh, and I have also tried the 03 and neither of my older horses liked it. I guess they really like a port. I need to try that on the youngster as well.

Anyway, I am a BIG Myler fan. Since I have discovered them they are my favorite bits, hands down! I would really love to try one of those combos, especially for my 3 yr old, since he is sort of okay in a bit and sort of okay in a hackamore. I would think the combination would be perfect for him.
     
    08-29-2013, 10:23 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider    
I would love to try the Myler combo on my 3 yr old gelding. He does "okay" in a bit and pretty decent in a mechanical hackamore (not my first choice but he neck reins in it) and I'm thinking that the combo bit would be the best of both worlds! It's just too bad I'm not made of money.

I guess what I'm posting about is the mouthpiece. It seems pretty unanamous that the 04 is a good mouthpiece. Has anyone used a #36 titled port on a young horse before? His momma rides great in that and I have been thinking of trying him with it. My favorite Myler is the #33 but I don't think that is meant for colts. I still might try him in it just because I have one, but I think you are supposed to work up to total tongue relief. I guess I am just curious about other Myler fan's opinions of the 04 mouthpiece compared to the ones I have tried.....the 36 and the 33. Oh, and I have also tried the 03 and neither of my older horses liked it. I guess they really like a port. I need to try that on the youngster as well.

Anyway, I am a BIG Myler fan. Since I have discovered them they are my favorite bits, hands down! I would really love to try one of those combos, especially for my 3 yr old, since he is sort of okay in a bit and sort of okay in a hackamore. I would think the combination would be perfect for him.

I'm trying my combination on my bratty 4 yr old tomorrow, and I will let you know how it goes!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Myler Combination Bits?! KylieHuitema Horse Tack and Equipment 5 04-03-2013 09:32 PM
Myler combination bits Sheepdog Horse Tack and Equipment 0 08-14-2012 10:09 AM
O ring combination bit Casey02 Horse Tack and Equipment 8 06-22-2012 02:04 PM
Myler 3 way combination bit jbolt Horse Tack and Equipment 4 01-14-2012 03:39 PM
Loose rings/eggbutt combination bit - can't find... :( kitten_Val Horse Tack and Equipment 4 10-02-2011 09:47 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0