Other Options to SMB boots?? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
I have the pegasus, and love the ease of use, but I do NOT feel they offer the support of my SMB's. So, if support is the important factor, I would not choose these.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,268
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
I have the pegasus, and love the ease of use, but I do NOT feel they offer the support of my SMB's. So, if support is the important factor, I would not choose these.
Good to know. Thankfully I don't need anything with support. One of my kiddos however wants to take her gelding to one pre entry event this summer and he needs a support boot as he had a small tear in a front suspensory a few years ago. Thankfully the pre entry event they are doing is just a tiny log on the ground maybe a foot high and there is no water or big hills so she can take it easy and the stadium is small cross rails.

Anyway I am rambling totally off topic. I need to go do some research and find the dude some front boots that will work for him.

BB ~ 2014 Trakehner Bratty Mare ~ 1993 CSHA Em ~ 2007 Standardbred
NBEventer is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,888
• Horses: 2
I have the Equine Legacy boots.

They're *fine*... no issues with them sagging or anything but my horse is a freak apparently and they are too tall on him and interfere. I asked the tack repair place but they said there was no way to alter them.
Delfina is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
Have you written to the company explaining the problem?
Saddlebag is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The sandbox
Posts: 5,452
• Horses: 0
I haven't bought a set of support boots since the "original" SMB came out and I hated them, matter of fact I still have them and they look pretty new...LOL

Just like saddle pads, I think I need the newest fandangled thing, but chicken out and stick to my wool pads and polo wraps...haha! If I get super adventurous I may invest in the Iconoclasts for the cow work portion of the shows.

I DON'T LEAD 'EM AND FEED 'EM, I RIDE 'EM AND SLIDE 'EM.
COWCHICK77 is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 21,276
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 View Post
I haven't bought a set of support boots since the "original" SMB came out and I hated them, matter of fact I still have them and they look pretty new...LOL

Just like saddle pads, I think I need the newest fandangled thing, but chicken out and stick to my wool pads and polo wraps...haha! If I get super adventurous I may invest in the Iconoclasts for the cow work portion of the shows.
I am one of those people that tack shops love as I buy all sorts of stuff on impulse and then it never gets used - I really must make an effort and take it all to our next local auction and get rid of it - to make room for more stuff I'll buy and never use I suppose!!!
I usually end up going back to bandages and pads too, my husbands just come back from a business trip to the UK and brought me some of the elasticated exercise bandages that I can't seem to find in the US and pads that go under them that are a sort of foam between a layer of fabric that find the shape of the horses leg really well. No good for wet or muddy conditions though
jaydee is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The sandbox
Posts: 5,452
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I am one of those people that tack shops love as I buy all sorts of stuff on impulse and then it never gets used - I really must make an effort and take it all to our next local auction and get rid of it - to make room for more stuff I'll buy and never use I suppose!!!
I usually end up going back to bandages and pads too, my husbands just come back from a business trip to the UK and brought me some of the elasticated exercise bandages that I can't seem to find in the US and pads that go under them that are a sort of foam between a layer of fabric that find the shape of the horses leg really well. No good for wet or muddy conditions though
LOL!!! I hear ya! I felt like a shamed child when hubby found a stash of stuff I bought, never used then hid :)
I agree, I love my wraps but are horrible in the mud. I just hosed some in a bucket to get the big chunks off and did a load in the washer. They must of soaked up 10X their own weight in water and mud!
What wraps do you use?

I DON'T LEAD 'EM AND FEED 'EM, I RIDE 'EM AND SLIDE 'EM.
COWCHICK77 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 21,276
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 View Post
LOL!!! I hear ya! I felt like a shamed child when hubby found a stash of stuff I bought, never used then hid :)
I agree, I love my wraps but are horrible in the mud. I just hosed some in a bucket to get the big chunks off and did a load in the washer. They must of soaked up 10X their own weight in water and mud!
What wraps do you use?
Ha ha - do you do the 'Oh this old thing I bought it years ago/look at this amazing bargain I got from the consignment rack/almost a giveaway on sale too thing?
I'm not sure what make my polo wraps are - I just buy them in a pack, they are the fairly conventional fluffy type of fabric with Velcro. The UK elasticated ones are made by Aerborne and are much thinner and have to have a pad under them. I put tape over the fastening. Attached a some pics that should show difference in thickness and also the pads I use under them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02553.jpg (34.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02555.jpg (36.9 KB, 33 views)
COWCHICK77 likes this.
jaydee is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The sandbox
Posts: 5,452
• Horses: 0
Dredging up an older thread....

Jaydee thanks for the wraps pics :) I have had good luck with the Mustang brand of polos, they seem to have good stretch and wash/wear well. Plus they are inexpensive. ($12/4 wraps)
But I did decide to try the Iconoclast boots finally. I just got them today and tried them on before I used them and sweated all over them. First impressions, they seem to fit much better than the last set of boots I had. (The original SMB back from the 90's.lol) If it cools off tonight I will ride in them and see how they do.

For those who have been wanting to buy some Iconclasts, I found the best price on Running Hard Products. $78, for the front set. Free shipping.

I DON'T LEAD 'EM AND FEED 'EM, I RIDE 'EM AND SLIDE 'EM.
COWCHICK77 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 21,276
• Horses: 3
I forgot about this
Interested to hear how you get on with them. I still like them, they seem to heat up more than the Pegasus boots but give more support - though when it comes to the crunch the cheapo wraps with some elastication and a good liner still probably give the best support - just such a 'faff' putting them on and taking them off!!!
jaydee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Ice Horse hock boots / VenTECH Elite SMB boots kmdstar Tack and Equipment Classifieds 14 01-23-2014 02:39 PM
Polos, SMB boots, splint boots..what's the best? Cookie4 Horse Tack and Equipment 4 03-25-2013 09:49 PM
Wanted: Pro Choice SMB-3 Sports Medicine Boots or Professional's Choice Smb II Boots Twilight Arabians Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 12-01-2011 06:52 PM
For Sale: SMB's - Neoprene Splint Boots -Rear Gallop Boots -Justin Cowboy Boots rodeogirl309 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 08-01-2011 04:26 PM
Professional's Choice SMB boots,bell boots,and tail wrap.... Piaffe Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 03-07-2010 03:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome