Is 10ft X 10ft too small of a stall?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

Is 10ft X 10ft too small of a stall?

This is a discussion on Is 10ft X 10ft too small of a stall? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Is a 10ft stable too small for a horse
  • Is 10x10 stall too small

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
  #1
Foal
Is 10ft X 10ft too small of a stall?

I have my colt in a 10ft X 20ft stall. I want to make it 10X10ft. Is that too small?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-21-2010, 07:33 PM
  #2
Green Broke
The average stall size is anywhere from 10' x 10' to 12' x 12' and anything in between, so unless you own a Draft, definitely not.
     
    09-21-2010, 07:34 PM
  #3
Green Broke
It's an average size.
     
    09-21-2010, 07:49 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
The average stall size is anywhere from 10' x 10' to 12' x 12' and anything in between, so unless you own a Draft, definitely not.
so unless you own a Draft, definitely not.... Whats that mean?
     
    09-21-2010, 07:54 PM
  #5
Foal
I guess i'll leave it 10X20.
     
    09-21-2010, 07:54 PM
  #6
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjeff    
so unless you own a Draft, definitely not.... Whats that mean?
Draft horses are the big, working horses... think Budweiser Clydesdales. Those giant breeds cannot fit in 10x10, or even 12x12 stalls. Since you have a Paso, I think 10x10 would be ok, but a 10x12 would be even more comfortable for him :)
     
    09-21-2010, 07:58 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Beau    
Draft horses are the big, working horses... think Budweiser Clydesdales. Those giant breeds cannot fit in 10x10, or even 12x12 stalls. Since you have a Paso, I think 10x10 would be ok, but a 10x12 would be even more comfortable for him :)

Ok... Thanks. I wanted it small so I wouldn't have to use as much shavings.lol
     
    09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjeff    
Ok... Thanks. I wanted it small so I wouldn't have to use as much shavings.lol
Well, my stalls are 12x12 and two of my three horses are essentially pigs, so I only bed theirs with 2 bags of shavings and it's enough. The third horse, who keeps a neat stall, gets 3 bags of shavings put in his and they last a LONG time.

You just want to make sure he has enough room to lay down (flat out) and keep in mind that once you have water buckets and everything hanging, you're going to lose some space.
     
    09-21-2010, 08:26 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Beau    
Well, my stalls are 12x12 and two of my three horses are essentially pigs, so I only bed theirs with 2 bags of shavings and it's enough. The third horse, who keeps a neat stall, gets 3 bags of shavings put in his and they last a LONG time.

You just want to make sure he has enough room to lay down (flat out) and keep in mind that once you have water buckets and everything hanging, you're going to lose some space.
gotcha
     
    09-21-2010, 08:56 PM
  #10
Showing
I have 10x12, but my horses on smaller side. They fit in perfectly - enough to move and sleep.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
small farm Phantomcolt18 Barn Maintenance 1 02-26-2010 12:31 AM
Small Cut On leg TwisterRush Horse Health 9 12-02-2009 09:25 PM
Best way to bed a stall-walker's stall? My Beau Horse Health 6 11-13-2009 07:29 AM
Pony too small for me? Equuestriaan Jumping 30 05-01-2009 07:05 AM
How small can I go....?? booner Barn Maintenance 7 02-22-2009 12:42 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0