2 geldings won't accept mare ?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

2 geldings won't accept mare ?

This is a discussion on 2 geldings won't accept mare ? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree1Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-24-2014, 08:27 PM
      #1
    Foal
    2 geldings won't accept mare ?

    Ok we are kinda new to the horse seen. Here's my question we bought two geldings one 3 months ago one two months ago and got a rescued thorobred gave to us last month. The two boys can eat out of same food bucket trade places what ever they stand side by side follow each other we brought banjo the mare in and the first day my older gelding kicked her like 5 times in 1 second she's super scared of him now. She's very polite she don't crowd them don't try to push her way very gentle with us and the geldings. But she will not get close to them she will not even eat with in 30 foot we have to feed her behind the barn them in front when the geldings go out to pasture she barely follows and when they come in to eat at night she don't wanna follow but she will finally. I'm wondering will this ever change?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-25-2014, 12:27 AM
      #2
    Yearling
    Two geldings...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikesmalden    
    Ok we are kinda new to the horse seen. Here's my question we bought two geldings one 3 months ago one two months ago and got a rescued thorobred gave to us last month. The two boys can eat out of same food bucket trade places what ever they stand side by side follow each other we brought banjo the mare in and the first day my older gelding kicked her like 5 times in 1 second she's super scared of him now. She's very polite she don't crowd them don't try to push her way very gentle with us and the geldings. But she will not get close to them she will not even eat with in 30 foot we have to feed her behind the barn them in front when the geldings go out to pasture she barely follows and when they come in to eat at night she don't wanna follow but she will finally. I'm wondering will this ever change?
    are making sure your mare knows that they are higher up on the ladder of who's in charge......that might change once she feels more comfortable. I never feed my horses out of the same feed bucket but they all have their own to eat their beet pulp out of.......if I hand feed the hay I always would put out 5 piles for 4 horses, always one more than the amount of horses so if they get kicked out of their pile they always have one to go to......
         
        01-25-2014, 03:54 AM
      #3
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thunderspark    
    I never feed my horses out of the same feed bucket but they all have their own to eat their beet pulp out of.......if I hand feed the hay I always would put out 5 piles for 4 horses, always one more than the amount of horses so if they get kicked out of their pile they always have one to go to......
    This.
    All our horses (four mares and a colt) wait patiently for their feed pan, but I wouldn't even think of having more than one eating from the same pan. Also, we put the colt and "bottom" mare in a pen together to feed them so we don't have to keep an eye on the others thinking about stealing their feed.
         
        01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    I saw a video......

    On how to work with a horse with food agression, the guy put a pan of food in the middle of a round pen and made the horse stay back and away from it with a training stick/buggy whip, the horse was not allowed to come into the food until it stood quietly and you invited them in........

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
    This.
    All our horses (four mares and a colt) wait patiently for their feed pan, but I wouldn't even think of having more than one eating from the same pan. Also, we put the colt and "bottom" mare in a pen together to feed them so we don't have to keep an eye on the others thinking about stealing their feed.
         
        01-25-2014, 07:17 PM
      #5
    Green Broke
    You can not feed horses from same pan. Will cause a fight every single time.

    And someone will end up needing a vet too.

    Did you have them separated at all or just toss them in together?

    Feed at distance, and so that they can't easily drive other one off of food.
         
        01-25-2014, 08:31 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Omg. Folks I have 5 feed pans hanging on fence two hey holders two round bales and two large fresh water pans. The geldings end up eating together I can put feed in three pans and these two will share one then go to next pan. Just to clear that up. Main thing she's scared of my older gelding she won't even come close to water if he's by it. I'm hoping when she's feeling better because she was about dead she will put him in his place or he will at least leave her alone. She's for sure a female Only likes green hey sweet feed and fresh fresh water. And the barn. Thanks for reading but I think we was on the wrong track.
         
        01-25-2014, 08:34 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palomine    
    You can not feed horses from same pan. Will cause a fight every single time.

    And someone will end up needing a vet too.

    Did you have them separated at all or just toss them in together?

    Feed at distance, and so that they can't easily drive other one off of food.
    We feed her behind barn them out front 60 foot away pasture is 4.5 acres she does fine by herself the geldings do fine together. And I don't feed them in one pan. Just the geldings like to share they get along and are like best pals.
         
        01-26-2014, 12:48 AM
      #8
    Yearling
    When I feed my horses they each have a dish on the fence, they have to put their halters on and be tied, no one goes till everyone is done eating.......never had a problem with them.....
         
        01-26-2014, 10:43 AM
      #9
    Foal
    Feelings not really the problem mostly it's the geldings not liking the mare when she walks up they put there ears back the older one will chase her off and even stand in front of the water I'm sure it will get better.
         
        01-26-2014, 10:53 AM
      #10
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikesmalden    
    Omg. Folks I have 5 feed pans hanging on fence two hey holders two round bales and two large fresh water pans. The geldings end up eating together I can put feed in three pans and these two will share one then go to next pan. Just to clear that up. Main thing she's scared of my older gelding she won't even come close to water if he's by it. I'm hoping when she's feeling better because she was about dead she will put him in his place or he will at least leave her alone. She's for sure a female Only likes green hey sweet feed and fresh fresh water. And the barn. Thanks for reading but I think we was on the wrong track.
    Mike, we've got the same makeup.....two geldings and a mare. They've been together 5 years now and the geldings are the same as yours. The mare, is continually submissive to the alpha gelding. The geldings will eat hay side by side and almost out of each others mouths.

    The mare got butt bit for about a year, and to this day, keeps her distance from the alpha. It's funny though, when we trail ride, if the mare gets out of site of the alpha, he calls and calls for her.

    So to answer your question, I think they'll find an uneasy peace but the mare will probably always remain leery of the Alpha gelding.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Mare Magic......For Geldings? CLaPorte432 Horse Health 7 10-15-2013 02:34 AM
    My gelding won't accept new gelding... Peanut97 Horse Talk 10 10-01-2012 11:54 AM
    Mare backing up to geldings.. megan1215 Horse Health 9 02-24-2011 12:14 AM
    My horse won't accept the whip under saddle! EquusPeace Horse Training 2 01-26-2011 04:20 PM
    mare didn't accept the foal peace love and paints Horse Health 42 04-15-2009 10:39 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0