The 30-something's Thread!! *finally* - Page 115 - The Horse Forum
 3480Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1141 of 4299 Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 4,761
• Horses: 6
It sounds like we are supposed to get storms like that today. High winds and up to golfball sized hail predicted. I am not pleased.

"Keep a leg on each side and your mind in the middle"
apachiedragon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1142 of 4299 Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,869
• Horses: 0
Will be thinking about you apachie. It was ugly, hopefully it's slowed down on it's way to you.

A cool but scary pic taken last night in Chicago, lightning hitting the Willis (formerly the Sears Tower)
willislightning.jpg
Horsesaplenty likes this.

Life is like a camera. Focus on what's important, Capture the good times, Develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, Take another shot.
MHFoundation Quarters is offline  
post #1143 of 4299 Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,495
• Horses: 0
Thanks Mandy, he's gonna be a joy to train. King is just the opposite of his sister Tequila, she's sassy and spirited, he's laid back and quiet. I hope to get more pics tomorrow or Saturday. It's just been too hot the past three days. My silly kitten Pistol has a knack of getting himself into trouble, earlier he was laying under a pile of clean clothes. Luckily there's always someone close by to keep an eye on him.

Being horseless is the pits!!
HorseLovinLady is offline  
post #1144 of 4299 Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
Well I hope everyone is ok that had to deal with crazy weather! I'm so glad to be going back to CA...worst we deal with there is the occasional earthquake or Brush fire. Brush fires can be scary, but crazy storms, lightening, flooding, tornadoes and all that? You guys can keep it! ;)

Seriously though. *shudder*

Anyway so the hubby had a lesson on Witch today and I totally recorded a few minutes. I'll upload it to youtube later and link it here for giggles. ;)
The lesson lady flat out told me "That horse doesn't like you....she won't even you in the face!" LOL. She also told us that Witch was probably somebody's show horse, that she is definitely trained, though pissy because she absolutely hates that bit.


So any bit suggestions? I have her right now in what I believe is a black iron o ring snaffle. The trainer suggested at least a low port curb bit, and showed us HER show mare's old bit. Ewww, that looked painful. Anyway she said that currently the horse hates the bit and is being a brat about it. She said that with a shanked bit, we'd have a bit more control. Plus apparently there are just some horses out there that hate "broken" bits? Eh...see this is what I get for trying to be "nice"...get the crazy butt horse that WANTS a more evil looking bit ;)

So, where'd everybody go? There seems to be a decreasing number of us 30 somethings. ;)

PS) I posted this on FB earlier: We got the rental! 2 acres of desert for a stupid amount of deposit money. We move as soon as we get the house re carpeted ;)
Back2Horseback likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #1145 of 4299 Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
Sorry bout the poop shot...
And for fun:


"GIVE MEH FOODZ!!!"
Back2Horseback likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #1146 of 4299 Old 06-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,667
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon View Post
Well I hope everyone is ok that had to deal with crazy weather! I'm so glad to be going back to CA...worst we deal with there is the occasional earthquake or Brush fire. Brush fires can be scary, but crazy storms, lightening, flooding, tornadoes and all that? You guys can keep it! ;)

Seriously though. *shudder*

Anyway so the hubby had a lesson on Witch today and I totally recorded a few minutes. I'll upload it to youtube later and link it here for giggles. ;)
The lesson lady flat out told me "That horse doesn't like you....she won't even you in the face!" LOL. She also told us that Witch was probably somebody's show horse, that she is definitely trained, though pissy because she absolutely hates that bit.


So any bit suggestions? I have her right now in what I believe is a black iron o ring snaffle. The trainer suggested at least a low port curb bit, and showed us HER show mare's old bit. Ewww, that looked painful. Anyway she said that currently the horse hates the bit and is being a brat about it. She said that with a shanked bit, we'd have a bit more control. Plus apparently there are just some horses out there that hate "broken" bits? Eh...see this is what I get for trying to be "nice"...get the crazy butt horse that WANTS a more evil looking bit ;)

So, where'd everybody go? There seems to be a decreasing number of us 30 somethings. ;)

PS) I posted this on FB earlier: We got the rental! 2 acres of desert for a stupid amount of deposit money. We move as soon as we get the house re carpeted ;)
Have you thought of trying a Myler combination bit. Its just a thought.

My blog foremyhorse.org you may enjoy the read. Its different.
Stan is offline  
post #1147 of 4299 Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 4,761
• Horses: 6
So we finally got power back after 24 hrs without. Thankfully, it wasn't hot after all the storms rolled through, so we fared okay. There were almost 60 thousand people in our county alone that were without power. All that from one single storm line that rolled through in less than an hour.

Serenity has scarlet fever (aka, strep throat with a horrible rash). She has to be on antibiotics for the next 10 days. Some way to start summer vacation, huh? Poor thing, her hands and feet are puffy and red, she has a rash on both legs and her tummy, and her throat hurts.

Demon, Dragon cannot tolerate a single joint bit because he has a somewhat low palate. Try something double jointed or solid and see if it makes a difference. With a single joint, they do this nutcracker thing and hit them in the roof of the mouth, some horses absolutely flip their lid over it. I think she looks good though!

"Keep a leg on each side and your mind in the middle"
apachiedragon is offline  
post #1148 of 4299 Old 06-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Have you thought of trying a Myler combination bit. Its just a thought.
You mean this? Myler 3 Ring Combination Bit | eBay

No, I have not. I am a fairly new rider, and it was my understanding that you start with a snaffle, and use the gentlest bit that your horse will respond to. What is good about this bit? Explain please! =)

Apache, I am glad you got your power back! I would have been going nuts!!!! It must have been rough for the kiddo especially...sick AND no tv/video games?!

Today was a *long* day, but again we got stuff accomplished! My son was playing with his bestie for like TEN HOURS straight today, since we got stuck pretty much at the barn. It's so cute...my son is 3, and he walked up to his friend when we left and goes "I wuv you, Aaron", and the other boy tells him he loves him too, and they give eachother a big hug!

So the other story of the day is that my little rescue got gelded. Man that was brutal! I could not watch, so the vet made me kneel on his neck and hold the rope up. Trust me, he FELT that, and it took me and a teenaged boy holding him down to get the incision stretched or whatever. Yeesh. I'm totally relieved, even though we got the full horror story experience ;).

Two totally hysterical things happened though: one, the boys were playing and as he started cutting, we looked for them to make sure they stayed away...and found that they'd pulled up lawn chairs to watch from a safe distance away...we shooed them away.

And lastly...after the testicles were safely removed, the cat decided to take a taste.... he got shooed away too.

I laugh now, but I was the biggest crybaby there. I didn't really cry, but I was definitely horrified...this is why I'm FORENSICS and not BIO or ANIMAL SCI!!!! Dead things don't feel pain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #1149 of 4299 Old 06-15-2013, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,765
• Horses: 1
Demon, Witch does look like she knows what she's about, doesn't she?

I've just been plugging away at work. Nothing really new.

Robert and I are going to his family reunion this weekend. It's more of a getaway for us than going to the reunion. It's about three hours away up by Kingman in the Hualapai Mountains. Robert rented us a cabin for Saturday night, we're taking the dogs, and we even rented a car (the tires on Robert's truck are ridiculously bald and my car won't make a freeway trip like that). Our one-year anniversary is Sunday. It'll be nice to get away.
Posted via Mobile Device
DraftyAiresMum is online now  
post #1150 of 4299 Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,667
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon View Post
You mean this? Myler 3 Ring Combination Bit | eBay

No, I have not. I am a fairly new rider, and it was my understanding that you start with a snaffle, and use the gentlest bit that your horse will respond to. What is good about this bit? Explain please! =)

Apache, I am glad you got your power back! I would have been going nuts!!!! It must have been rough for the kiddo especially...sick AND no tv/video games?!

Today was a *long* day, but again we got stuff accomplished! My son was playing with his bestie for like TEN HOURS straight today, since we got stuck pretty much at the barn. It's so cute...my son is 3, and he walked up to his friend when we left and goes "I wuv you, Aaron", and the other boy tells him he loves him too, and they give eachother a big hug!

So the other story of the day is that my little rescue got gelded. Man that was brutal! I could not watch, so the vet made me kneel on his neck and hold the rope up. Trust me, he FELT that, and it took me and a teenaged boy holding him down to get the incision stretched or whatever. Yeesh. I'm totally relieved, even though we got the full horror story experience ;).

Two totally hysterical things happened though: one, the boys were playing and as he started cutting, we looked for them to make sure they stayed away...and found that they'd pulled up lawn chairs to watch from a safe distance away...we shooed them away.

And lastly...after the testicles were safely removed, the cat decided to take a taste.... he got shooed away too.

I laugh now, but I was the biggest crybaby there. I didn't really cry, but I was definitely horrified...this is why I'm FORENSICS and not BIO or ANIMAL SCI!!!! Dead things don't feel pain!!
093.jpg

Not sure if this photo shows the bit very well Stella used to head shake and stretch out. She was also disrespectfull on the bit and would take it in her teeth. The myler combination has a strap over the snout and connected under the chin. The three rings are for leverage. I use mine connected to the check ring for the least amount of leaverage. When pressure is put on the bit it is very gentle at first and as you increase the pressure the ring slides to a stop which then brings the bit into play and then the nose and chin pressure. This is a soft bit using the mouth, nose, pole, and chin as points of pressure. But one has to be aware it can put a considerable amount of pressure on if in the wrong hands.

My blog foremyhorse.org you may enjoy the read. Its different.
Stan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Person who finally found the intro thread! OffTheTrack Meet the Community 7 09-24-2010 06:07 PM
FINALLY! The video to the "bummed out" thread centrestableswendy Horse Videos 17 03-22-2009 11:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome