I have a friend who just adopted from Vocations. Well, about 4-5 months ago. They have pretty good adoption rules.
1. Fill out the application.
2. Supply the name of your vet and farrier.
3. Visit of the property (which was actually just sending in some pics, and asking the vet about the place/family/other horses/upkeep).
4. Personal Recomendation
5. After adoption, 3 month check-ups (sending in current pictures, as well as any vet documents that may have incurred).
6. They can reclaim the horse within the first year if they think it is being mistreated.
7. After a year, the horse's papers are handed over, and you are free to do as you wish.
She adopted the horse from Ohio, and had it shipped to Arkansas, unseen. Very risky, but worked out well in the end. They really do want the best for their horses, but then again, they can only afford to turn down so many people who are willing to pay and care for animals that are running them out of money...
When I considered adoption, I was looking at OTRP in Oklahoma, and decided against it based off their crazy rules.
I would look into Vocations if wanting to adopt an OTTB or Standardbred. They are vary reasonable, and it only took about a month for the whole process, mostly because of the shipping issue.
Last edited by thatkrayz; 10-18-2013 at 05:41 PM.