almost died today ~rant~
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

almost died today ~rant~

This is a discussion on almost died today ~rant~ within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree49Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-11-2013, 04:32 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    almost died today ~rant~

    Well today was not my day. Obviously by the title. Anyways I went to the ranch today to help take out the trail rides like I always do, but today there werent any rides and the BO forgot to call and tell me last night. So I show up and she tells us (three other volunteers were there today) that we will be trimming trails today and we could explore otside of the ranch. Ok that's fine and dandy. So another volunteer (lets call her N) tells me that she want to ride her green Arab mare today and see how she does on the trails, and that I can ride her other mare (who is also sort of green) so I go out and catch the mare and she ties with a rope halter over her bridle. So I put the bridle on her and then the halter and tie her up to a sturdy hitching rail. I groom and saddle and when its time to leave, the BO brings out some plastic bags that were supposed to put the trash in. I grab it from her and go to put it in my saddle bag and N's mare starts snorting and blowing and I freeze for a second because I was trying to fix a stirrup. And the BO tells me to ignore the horse being stupid and to rub the bag on her. I bring the bag closer and the mare.flips her lid and jumps away. The BO then comes in all mad and loostens the halter, I don't have a clue why, and grabs the bag to rub it on the mare and she sets back and starts pulling and flipping out. And since the BO loostened the halter, she pulls free and tries to run but the BO grabs the leadrope and wraps it around the hitching rail and tries to pull the mare closer. While she's doing this, her hand was between the rope and rail and the.mare pulls back again and almost takes the BOs hand. So then she's fighting to pull the mare back and the mare is now far enough away from the hitching rail that she starts pulling against the reins (which were wrapped around the rail and not tied) and once she felt that resistance she pulled harder and snapped the 300$ bridle. I feel like it was my fault for all of this and I will make it up to N. But fast forward a few hours and were coming back home from picking up trash and the volunteer that was leading us (call him J) decided that it was a good idea to go through a new trail that was overgrown by scrub oak. So they go through first and Im last, so I duck down over the saddle to push through and the visor of my helmet catches a heavy limb and it throws my head back and the horse is startled and jumbed forward and I crash directly into another heavy branch which collides into my throught and throws me back onto the horses hindquarters. And then were out onto the road and I go to sit back up and a sharp branch cuts into my shoulder. So now my face.and shoulder are all cut up. Today was not my day and im so angry at myself for letting that mare react and break the bridle like that. I feel terrible.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-11-2013, 04:44 PM
      #2
    Banned
    Wow!



    I really hope that you feel better and get well soon! Head, body and heart.

    We ALL have our bad days... or weeks? Most of mine I can look back a see some of the why's and learn. Some just happen with no real answers and I know that more will come at me.

    I'm glad that you are alive and sounds like no bones broken. Perhaps a gentle and easy ride by yourself tomorrow on a good calm horse might help you?
    nvr2many and LouieThePalomino like this.
         
        05-11-2013, 04:44 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    20130511_141823.jpg
    Heres the cut on my shoulder, its deeper in the middle.
         
        05-11-2013, 04:47 PM
      #4
    Started
    The horse broke the bridle, not you. AND the BO was involved AND it was the other girl's horse and presumably her training. Not your fault. If my horse broke something by freaking out for no good reason (ie, no real lions, tigers or bears were attacking him), even if another person was riding him, that's still my horse and my problem. You didn't do anything wrong, though from your description, I have to wonder if the BO ought to have handled it a little bit differently.

    Feel better and heal quickly! That doesn't sound like a trail that ought to be used at all until it is cut back!
         
        05-11-2013, 04:49 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sereno    


    I really hope that you feel better and get well soon! Head, body and heart.

    We ALL have our bad days... or weeks? Most of mine I can look back a see some of the why's and learn. Some just happen with no real answers and I know that more will come at me.

    I'm glad that you are alive and sounds like no bones broken. Perhaps a gentle and easy ride by yourself tomorrow on a good calm horse might help you?
    Thank you :)
    Yeah, Im definitely not riding that mare tomorrow. Im going to try and take it easy and definitely learn more about ground work and spooky horses before I event attempt going neaf a green horse again. Thank you so much for your kind reply.
    Sereno likes this.
         
        05-11-2013, 04:57 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sharpie    
    The horse broke the bridle, not you. AND the BO was involved AND it was the other girl's horse and presumably her training. Not your fault. If my horse broke something by freaking out for no good reason (ie, no real lions, tigers or bears were attacking him), even if another person was riding him, that's still my horse and my problem. You didn't do anything wrong, though from your description, I have to wonder if the BO ought to have handled it a little bit differently.

    Feel better and heal quickly! That doesn't sound like a trail that ought to be used at all until it is cut back!

    Yeah, true. But the BO finds it my fault, because I hesitated when bringing the bag towards the mare, which taught her that its ok to flip out. I honestly have no clue what tge BO was doing when she tried to physically pull that 1200 lb animal back towards the rail and almost got her hand pinched off. And SHE was the one who loostened the halter so that she pulled on the bridle instead. But what gets me is that she gave me a look and then looked at N and said sorry for your bridle and looked at me again, trying to make me feel guilty. And after that she tried to say that I tied the halter wrong and over the loop so it got stuck, but I didnt and thank God N backed me up on that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-11-2013, 05:06 PM
      #7
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouieThePalomino    
    Yeah, true. But the BO finds it my fault, because I hesitated when bringing the bag towards the mare, which taught her that its ok to flip out. I honestly have no clue what tge BO was doing when she tried to physically pull that 1200 lb animal back towards the rail and almost got her hand pinched off. And SHE was the one who loostened the halter so that she pulled on the bridle instead. But what gets me is that she gave me a look and then looked at N and said sorry for your bridle and looked at me again, trying to make me feel guilty. And after that she tried to say that I tied the halter wrong and over the loop so it got stuck, but I didnt and thank God N backed me up on that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It is really sad when people can not and will not own up to their own mistakes and learn from them. Instead, they usually get mad and blame others.

    So you got a double dose of ... fill in word(s) of your choice.

    Like the experience with the horse, you will have a lot more with people like this. I'd rather share the company of the horse.
    SorrelHorse, bsms, Celeste and 1 others like this.
         
        05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
      #8
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouieThePalomino    
    Yeah, true. But the BO finds it my fault, because I hesitated when bringing the bag towards the mare, which taught her that its ok to flip out.

    Posted via Mobile Device
    That is a complete crock of BS! You didn't do anything wrong, in fact you did the right thing by stopping when the mare got upset. Yes, you can sack out a horse with whatever is terrifying them but not while tied to a hitching rail, and certainly not by getting your hand almost torn off. That was 100% her fault. She probably won't buy your friend a new bridle but you shouldn't either. HER horse, HER lack of training, BO's lack of sense and impatience all caused that, not you.

    I've been around horses my whole life and it's not unusual for them to get upset by plastic bags and flappy tarps. Desensitizing them to those objects takes more time than 2 minutes as you're trying to stuff the crinkly, flappy, thing in the saddlebag.
         
        05-11-2013, 05:21 PM
      #9
    Started
    Sounds like the BO is pulling some serious BS and trying to blame you for something that was her fault. Sorry you have to deal with a person like that. Don't take it out on yourself- people who try to pass the buck and blame others aren't worth losing any sleep or mental health over.
         
        05-11-2013, 05:22 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
    That is a complete crock of BS! You didn't do anything wrong, in fact you did the right thing by stopping when the mare got upset. Yes, you can sack out a horse with whatever is terrifying them but not while tied to a hitching rail, and certainly not by getting your hand almost torn off. That was 100% her fault. She probably won't buy your friend a new bridle but you shouldn't either. HER horse, HER lack of training, BO's lack of sense and impatience all caused that, not you.

    I've been around horses my whole life and it's not unusual for them to get upset by plastic bags and flappy tarps. Desensitizing them to those objects takes more time than 2 minutes as you're trying to stuff the crinkly, flappy, thing in the saddlebag.

    To be honest, I was sort of nervous when the mare spooked because I wasnt about to chase her around with the bag and risk her running someone over or crashing into another horse or through the fence. The BO told me that the mare was taking advantage of me and was smarter than me and that the bare has seen plastic bags before, I didnt know she's seen them before so I was hesitant and careful to put it up to her. After we were out on the trails I took the bag out and rubbed her all over with it again so I didnt have to deal with her flipping out again.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Sereno likes this.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Quit My Job Today *Rant* BornToRun General Off Topic Discussion 2 11-24-2012 05:27 PM
    Amy Winehouse died today. Indyhorse General Off Topic Discussion 4 07-23-2011 07:58 PM
    We almost died today... Thatgirlsacowboy Horse Talk 17 01-08-2010 09:13 PM
    Happy Rant About Today's Lesson :) anrz Dressage 2 08-11-2009 09:45 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0