alternative to heated water buckets?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Talk

alternative to heated water buckets?

This is a discussion on alternative to heated water buckets? within the Horse Talk forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Heated water buckets horses
  • How to make a heated water bucket

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-13-2011, 12:22 PM
  #1
Yearling
alternative to heated water buckets?

Now that New England is finally on the Winter page, the BO has replaced the horse's regular buckets with heated ones to make sure they have something other than ice to drink. My horse, however, is One Thirsty Guy and goes through two buckets of water overnight. BO doesn't want more than one heated bucket in a stall (partly because of electricity costs, partly because of maintaining the right load on the electrical system).

So, he's got one heated bucket, but needs more water than it will hold. Any ideas for ways to keep the water from freezing without having to plug something in?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-13-2011, 12:28 PM
  #2
Foal
The rescue here uses a piece of wood or tennis ball. Something that floats so it keeps the water circulating
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
  #3
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThursdayNext    
Now that New England is finally on the Winter page, the BO has replaced the horse's regular buckets with heated ones to make sure they have something other than ice to drink. My horse, however, is One Thirsty Guy and goes through two buckets of water overnight. BO doesn't want more than one heated bucket in a stall (partly because of electricity costs, partly because of maintaining the right load on the electrical system).

So, he's got one heated bucket, but needs more water than it will hold. Any ideas for ways to keep the water from freezing without having to plug something in?
You can get him a big tub (like a manure bucket, we did this at my old barn) to put in the corner of his stall for water, and put one of those water heaters in there. It looks like a big coil. Then he'd get enough water to drink and it'd be easier on the BO too.

(I might do this for my boy... he drinks SO much. Haha)

http://www.shanestack.com/shop/index...-flypage-25244

Or you can find another kind of water heater (the one I was describing is a little flatter so it doesn't mess with the horse)

EDIT: http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CKIBEPICMAI Like this one
     
    12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
  #4
Started
Give him a second bucket that isn't heated and hopefully he will drink it first. A rubber one will not crack if it does freeze. The key here is if you add more heaters onto the circut breakers, you will trip the system and none of the horses will have heated water overnight.

Another alternative is to make his feed into a slurry mush (add more water than it will hold) that will get a few extra gallons of water into him.
     
    12-13-2011, 04:03 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons    
Another alternative is to make his feed into a slurry mush (add more water than it will hold) that will get a few extra gallons of water into him.
This may be the solution that works! He is a total pig, and would probably love it if he had a big mushy dish of grain.

He only had one bucket last night (because of the circuit breaker issue, I'm sure) and by the time I saw him at 9 this morning, his bucket was bone dry and he wouldn't touch his hay or grain until he drank a half-bucket of water. Poor baby!
     
    12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
  #6
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThursdayNext    
This may be the solution that works! He is a total pig, and would probably love it if he had a big mushy dish of grain.

He only had one bucket last night (because of the circuit breaker issue, I'm sure) and by the time I saw him at 9 this morning, his bucket was bone dry and he wouldn't touch his hay or grain until he drank a half-bucket of water. Poor baby!
9 this morning? What time are they fed at night? What time in the morning?
     
    12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons    
Give him a second bucket that isn't heated and hopefully he will drink it first. A rubber one will not crack if it does freeze. The key here is if you add more heaters onto the circut breakers, you will trip the system and none of the horses will have heated water overnight.
This is what I would do too.
A second not-heated bucket.

I like the wet food idea too. If your barn owner is willing to feed him wet meals that is a great way to get extra water into them in the winter.

They do sell insulated bucket holders.

Linky

Another Linky
     
    12-13-2011, 04:35 PM
  #8
Trained
Here you go~
High Country Insulated Bucket - Horse.com
I know that $80 sounds expensive, but consider that you're paying for electicity to heat the others and I always worry that the cord will short and hurt my horse. =(
BTW, this concept has been around for many decades. The old models were heavy metal. This is a lot lighter. Let us know if you buy one, bc I'd like some feedback. Too horse poor this year to get them. =(
     
    12-13-2011, 05:21 PM
  #9
Foal
All I do to keep my horses water from freezing is add hot water to the buckets at night. I don't know if your schedule allows this or how cold it is where you are but its works for me in the stalls. Same thing for the paddock water only I pull out the ice and fill the buckets with warm water in the morning. Its certainly not the easiest options but its free!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-13-2011, 05:35 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    
9 this morning? What time are they fed at night? What time in the morning?
He's on full board, so he's getting fed and watered on the barn schedule. All the horses come in from the turnout around 3:30-4pm before dark. They get watered then, and I think they get a flake or so of hay at that hour, and then they get watered and fed the evening grain ration and more hay somewhere between 8-10pm. In the morning they get fed grain and a flake or so of hay in their stalls before turnout. This is usually done early enough that they're done and turned out by 9, but I think the barn help was running late this morning.

He does go through a lot of water, but his bloodwork doesn't indicate a kidney problem or diabetes, he seems like he's just kind of...wet.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on this heated water bucket please :-) lancek Horse Talk 11 10-24-2011 09:54 AM
Horses won't drink out of heated buckets Equilove Horse Health 6 02-26-2011 01:08 PM
Cleaning those 'stained' water buckets tayahswirl Horse Talk 2 06-04-2010 12:54 AM
Snowing? Ice on the water buckets?! ShannonSevenfold Horse Talk 9 10-17-2009 01:39 PM
Tell me more about Applecide vinigar in water buckets? prbygenny Horse Health 7 05-07-2009 12:23 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0