I went out for two months, riding her and taking lessons on her, and just generally being with her again. Then her owner asked if I'd like to move her to my stable and full-lease her; Concept and her owner don't really get along, but our personalities mesh quite well, and her owner could see this. Of course, I took her up on the offer!
A couple weeks ago, on May 16th, the best day of my life happened. Concept moved to my barn, and she was just such an angel, I couldn't believe my luck. But when I got home after spending 6 hours with her, I recieved a call from her owner. Concept was sold, and moving to the Dominican in september.
The next day, I went out, and rode her for the first time since a minor injury of hers that put her on two weeks' stall rest. Her owner got on and was just absolutely awful- trotting her in really tight circles, galloping her around wildly and making her buck. Then I got on. We calmly(ish) walked and trotted around while my coach instructed me a bit, but when we cantering, the saddle slipped completely to the side, and I fell hard on my back. If only I had known at the time WHY the saddle was slipping, but I'll get to that later. I got back on, and we finished up fine.
The day after that, I get another call from Concept's owner. Concept was pregnant and due in 7 weeks. I was absolutely devastated- how could her owner not have told me this? I had to give Concept back, and she was gone by the next day.
Concept foaled the day she moved, seven weeks premature, and the foal died the next morning.
Through all of this, I love Concept more than ANYTHING else in the world. I've decided that I'm going to try to save up as much as I can, and buy her at the end of the summer. I don't know how I will manage- I'm still in school, and I have to find a job so I can keep her, but I just need to do this for myself and for her. So tell me, am I crazy to want to do this, after everything that's happened? Is it just going to end in more heartbreak?
Kudos to anyone who read that whole essay!!