Originally Posted by Joshie
Has the owner had the vet out to see if there is something that can be done about his lameness? I'd be scared I'd fall in love. I wouldn't want to fall in love with a horse who would not stay sound. I'd also be concerned about being responsible for vet bills surrounding the lameness.
He looks like a horse that would be easy to fall in love with.
I am not 100% sure if the owner has had a vet out to look at him, but I will for sure have a vet out before I sign anything.
Originally Posted by My2Geldings
I wouldn't do it. To risky. "he is ok and could heal with time with light riding"? I don't think so! It sounds to me like its just trying to keep the horse unde rlight work to keep him sound during your lease in the hopes they can make a sale. Once he's sold you have some big problems.
A limp means pain. There are very few conditions and situations where a limp is only an temporary anatomical issue but I would be EXTREMELY weary of that in a horse as big as he is.
I wouldn't even consider it. Why not do the same thing with the other horse who I assume is sound?
I don't see any reason why they would try and 'swindle' me here, as they have some plans on using Bob in the future. But I totally see where you're coming from. The owner wasnt really even sure they wanted to sell him, but of course things can change.
I will be looking at the other horse as well, and will inquire about him, I assume he's the other horse pictured in the middle and last pic posted previously. I would have no qualm about leasing him instead of Bob, as the leg issue scares me also. I just think it's worth a shot to go out and have a look.
Originally Posted by juju
I think that you should look into it and see what the vet says. I agree with Joshie - make sure there is something in the agreement about vet bills regarding the limp. I also agree with My2Gledings - if a horse is limping it may be in pain. Like she said, why don't you ask the owner about the other horse? At the very least I would try the other horse, esp. If he will be the "substitute" if Bob is unridable. I would also research some other options, to see what else it out there.
I plan on adding a clause about previous injuries into the lease, and those vet bills should be paid by the owner as I had nothing to do with his injury. Of course I wouldnt go out and work him every single day due to the injury. I do plan on keeping all of their emails as well, just in case things do get hairy.
Like I said above, I do plan on checking out the other horse as well, it might just be that I lease Bob's mate instead of Bob. We'll see what the future holds.
I am still waiting on an email back from them as to when I am able to come out and visit. I do plan on bringing my trainer with, as I know she will tell me up front how it is.