We have to do it here in Montana. I didn't have to do it when I lived in NJ. I had my horse here for like 4 years and I just got a permanent brand inspection done. Oops.
You're supposed to have it at all times when traveling with your horse, etc just like coggins.
From your brand inspection board:
" The Division of Brand Inspection's primary responsibility is to protect the livestock industry from loss by theft, illegal butchering, or straying of livestock. The division is assigned five principal regulatory responsibilities:
- Record and administer livestock brands
- Inspect livestock and verify ownership before sale; transportation beyond 75 miles; transportation out of state; or slaughter
- Inspect and license packing plants, livestock sale rings, and inspect all consignments before sale to verify ownership
- License and inspect alternative livestock (elk and fallow deer) facilities
- Prevent and return strayed or stolen livestock and to investigate reports of lost or stolen livestock"
It only cost me like $5 but from the website for your state it looks a bit more expensive...